🔉 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge (Summer Edition) 🏖

:sound: Listening Room: Date 20220806 :loud_sound:

Day XLVI: ??? :question:

I typed in ピカチュ into YouTube and ピカチャップ happened.
I mean, I’m not disappointed, it’s everything I kinda expected from typing ピカチュ into YouTube, and I understood every word, 100%. :zap:

I should listen to something much more substantial whatyoumean, Pikachu is substantial??

So what’s next to type into YouTube…? Of course, it’s タヌキ
Most videos were just text on the screen, but then I found this: タヌキ :raccoon:

Okay, it’s not a tanuki, it’s a racoon, and it’s in Canada, but it’s all in Japanese and raccoon butt is stuck in a roof? seriously raccoon, how?

Also new difficultly of Japanese difficulty unlocked: having someone speak English and then have someone overdub it in Japanese. That really messed with my brain.

as you can probably tell, I had no idea what to do today, so this happened, but listening is listening I guess
I’ll try and return tomorrow with better みみじゅつ

11 Likes

August 6th!

Quite a lot of listening today! Though I had english subs for everything I watched.
I watched 3 more episodes of Old Enough!, and also watched 竜とそばかすの姫, which was incredibly beautifully animated.

I also had a lesson with one of my tutors this morning and we did a lot of conversation practise.

(Home Post)

11 Likes

Home post

LEDC
Week 6

8月6日
ゲームなんとか

Had a hard time focusing on listening today. I started this podcast again, then I was having trouble concentrating and after a bit I decided to stop it and swap to YUYU. Then after a couple minutes I really didn’t want to listen to YUYU today at all, so I went to Teppei… just to do the same thing. Then I went back to ゲームなんとか for a bit more until I called it a day.

Not a good day for listening but overall I must have done like 10 or 15 mins so I’ll take it.

11 Likes

August 6 :blossom: Home Post

I watched another let’s play today, business as usual. Then I got thinking about how I tried working through some song lyrics a while back and it was a whole ordeal, so I looked at a couple of those now to see how it felt and yeah. Night and day :joy: Definitely confirmation of how much my baseline understanding has improved, so that felt good!

11 Likes

August 7 :orange_square:

Three more videos from the NHK グレートネイチャー playlist: Philippines, Australia and Peru. I don’t feel very well today so my comprehension was below average, but the images were pretty at least.

11 Likes

If anyone is looking for some advanced fast listening, or death, I’ve got just what you need!

I love this channel in English. Now they have Japanese! It’s really hard but it feels good to pick out words like 肉 and others.

13 Likes

Aug 7, Sun of Week 6 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

Today, I watched Iryu Team Medical Dragon (S01 EP01), some medical drama I have watched like 10 years ago.

Regarding having medical skill excellence, and thoughts from my career

Skill, knowledge, as well as awareness and speed, are indeed without doubt a must during emergency time, and also whenever transporting itself is an issue. Nonetheless, even in such a small room or a ward, a single person doesn’t have time to reach to everything. I can’t really choose personnel either. (Even if I can, choosing comes from limited choices.)

Then, there are also urgent aspects and preventive aspects, where biological and physical aspects themselves don’t suffice. Social (familial) and economical (and psychological) play quite a lot of roles as well. At individual level, it is complex enough; but when reaching up to public health level, or the so-called, catchment area/population, it eventually becomes a different game; where we can’t be naive for this. Not to mention, difficult-to-reach portions (not necessarily minorities).

Then comes another issue, how should personnel guard themselves? Misunderstandings, and human limitations, can happen, but not forgiven.

Indeed I watched without sub, but regarding sub, even if it is EN or non-JP, perhaps it isn’t so bad if you can make up with studying to make listening a priority. The opposite, JP sub with non-JP dub, is probably more difficult. Usually, I feel that listening or imagining sounds, is more language like than seeing.

Then, I listened minimally to かがみの孤城, before switching to that vanilla’s YouTube of 2-hours (not in Japanese :sweat_smile:). Having YouTube Premium makes it possible to listen with screen off (on a smartphone).

So, yesterday, I eventually finished Hunter x Hunter EP2. My listening comprehension has gone more blurry at the end… Then, there comes how much I can tolerate. I didn’t time myself, but perhaps as much as a little less than 1 hour, for 10 minutes.

About a vocabulary from yesterday, 払い除ける – it appears that 払う has a secondary meaning of 祓う as well.

9 Likes

So I was browsing the comments on that video and one person suggested using easier Japanese to attract younger viewers and I also learned the term うぽつです which my dictionary says comes from うp乙(うぷおつ)and is used to express appreciation for uploading the video.

For other listening practice I watched another book review video, but only one of them actually seemed interesting to me this time round:

13 Likes

:sound: Listening Room: Date 20220807 :loud_sound:

Day XLVII: カメラ :camera:

I watched an NHK school vid, about technology, with cameras and other such things. The age range was a bit higher on this one and I was pretty much completely lost from start to finish.

Best stick to ワンちゃん for the time being.

11 Likes

August 7th!

Today I watched an Epsode of Shirokuma Cafe (With English Subs) and listened to an episode of Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners.

(Home Post)

10 Likes

Home post

LEDC
Week 6
:confetti_ball: 1 0 0 % :confetti_ball:

8月7日
となりのトトロ

Turned out being a Ghibli movie day. I watched My Neighbour Totoro for the first time and I have to say… that was so adorable. Quite a calm and heart-warming movie! I didn’t want to watch something super long today and this one seemed about right, was like 1h20m. (Super mild commentary but blurring just in case?) The relationship of the father with his daughters is so adorable I can’t even… The whole relationship of the entire family and the sense of care and good will from the other people in the movie was super wholesome to watch.

13 Likes

August 7 :blossom: Home Post

I listened to kind of a random assortment today; some let’s play stuff, then I got in a ハイキュー!! mood and checked out part of a drama cd and the radio show some of the voice actors did, so little bits of various things :joy: I just didn’t have a lot of brain energy for it today but that’s okay! I’m gonna have more time in the near future so looking forward to that :muscle:

12 Likes

Today i went back to an old favorite, Yuri! On Ice. There’s some specialty ice skating language that took me a second to figure out, but a lot of it is English based, so it could have been harder. Overall, very fun. It was interesting to try to match my understanding in Japanese to my memories of when I watched it in English years ago.

13 Likes

:sound: Listening Room: Date 20220808 :loud_sound:

Day XLVIII: あぶない!! :running_man:

NHK school vid, about the dangers of being at school - no running in the hallways!

あぶない!

I feel like I’ve reached a similar point in listening as I had in reading awhile back, the simple stuff I can understand but then everything past that point is too hard, there’s like no middle ground between super simple and abunai-difficult.

10 Likes

Here’s Bite Size Japanese for today!

10 Likes

Using Japanese Pod 101 listening comprehension, I know I am definitely at an N5 listening level (I only got 2 wrong, 1 for lack of attention and 1 because I really didnt know the vocabulary), which makes sense since I am almost finished with N5 grammar with my tutor and I have only been immersing for about 3 months now (although I started studying Japanese almost 9 months ago). I tried the N4 listening comprehension and after 5 questions incorrect I realize that I need a few more months of studying and immersion to get there.

8 Likes

:headphones: Main Station :beach_umbrella:

The past few days have been a mix of Satori Reader and things that other challenge-goers have been using. I listened to a few of the first podcast episodes from Sayuri Saying (thanks to @pocketcat for the link in one of their updates!), but I was a little underwhelmed when two of the episodes simply consisted of her playing word games. I bailed on the しりとり one after a while and tried to get through all of マジカルバナナ. Might have to forgo my need to listen to things from the beginning and simply pick whatever sounds interesting to me in the moment.

Today I gave that Kurzgesagt video @Sailnir posted a try. HOLY CRUD. Having anything the narrator was saying compute truly did feel like an accomplishment. I also watched a short film for my translation homework this week, but I felt like I didn’t really understand everything as well as I should’ve after the first watch through, so I’m going to watch it again a little later.

9 Likes

Yeah, she has a mix of upper intermediate stuff (some interviews of other people), more general bridge level (talking about her life and explaining things) and very very basic stuff (word games). It would probably help if they were labeled more clearly.

3 Likes

August 8th!

I watched an episode of Shirokuma Cafe (with English subs), and also listened to an episode of Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners. I’ll probably listen to that episode again though because I’ve had a long (but pleasant!) day and I’m tired so I struggled to follow what was being said in a way that I dont usually.

(Home Post)

9 Likes

Home post

LEDC
Week 7

8月8日
ゲームなんとか

Went for the whole first episode about Monster Hunter, I had started it a couple times before but wanted to finish it so just listened to the whole thing. I’m tired and my brain zoned out probably like 10 or 15 minutes of it but oh well.

9 Likes