🔉 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge (Summer Edition) 🏖

July 31st!

Just a small bit of listening today because I spent longer than expected reading - I listened to Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners, Episode 37.

(Home Post)

10 Likes

July 31 :yellow_square:

Today I (re)watched three episodes of Erased (僕だけがいない街) while dealing with a huge pile of ironing. And after a while… something magical happened. I realized I could follow along no problem. The moment I realized it, the moment I tried to focus on the words, I lost it. But when I focused on ironing again, it came back. I’m thinking, this is what I was trying to achieve when I wanted to “listen like a child”. My brain fills in the gaps and turns the scattered words it understands into a coherent whole. Obviously I miss a lot of details this way, but it’s so much less frustrating than trying to understand everything. I was honestly amazed by the experience. I just hope I can repeat it.

As a fun aside, this is the screen that greeted me today when I opened Netflix:

I’d never seen that “category” before. Does Netflix think I’m watching shows in Japanese because I have somehow failed to notice the English ones? :rofl:

13 Likes

Summary Post

July 31st
What did I listen to?: Obey Me! Boys in the House Ep 1
How much time did I spend listening?: 18 min

I started this Youtube series today - trying to pace myself so I won’t be fumbling for things to listen to during the week when I’m busy :joy: But I love this so much lol, the seven VAs are so fun together :purple_heart:

Highlights (hidden for big pictures lmao)

When they’re talking about potentially making the sheep plushies available as merch, Baby Satoshi is a whole entire mood:

Same, sir. Same.

And I need to appreciate Baby Satoshi’s handwriting (calligraphy?) because wth, why is his handwriting so pretty all the time

Satan’s VA, on the other hand, wrote a kanji wrong :joy: (Bonus points if you spot it)

Answer: he forgot a line in 名, leading them to joke that it actually says クロ探偵 xD I was pleased that I was able to understand this joke :joy: And then Beel’s VA:

:joy: Savage

I love them and I can’t wait to watch more of these xD

10 Likes

:sound: Listening Room: Date 20220731 :loud_sound:

Day XL: Soap Bubbles :bubbles:

NHK school vid. Today I learnt how to make soap bubbles. I think this one is meant for really small children :rofl:

But I didn’t have that much trouble understanding, I think I understood like 90% of what was being said, so now I can say with confidence that I have the listening abilities of a four year old! :boom:
It was probably that of a two year old before I started this listening challenge, so I guess that’s a start at least.

10 Likes

Home post

LEDC
Week 5
:confetti_ball: 1 0 0 % :confetti_ball:

July 31
Yuusuke & Kaito, episode 10.

9 Likes

I started watching Prince of Legend (trailer) and it’s exactly what I need right now. A great level for me re: vocab/grammar/speed and it’s an utterly ridiculous premise. I have some really good shows I need to finish but they’re all emotionally heavy and I’m not in the mood for that at all lately.

I’m Team 先生

10 Likes

It’s so ridiculous :joy: :joy: I love it! I’m team ヤンキー王子 myself based on the trailer :joy:

4 Likes

July 31 :blossom: Home Post

I’m currently thoroughly invested in playing バディミッションBOND so not a whole lot of listening, just some more let’s play stuff and that Prince of Legend trailer courtesy of @pocketcat; I’m gonna have to watch that sometime huh :laughing: Looks very much like the kind of chaotic nonsense I can get behind lmao.

Oh I guess that’s a month down huh; I’ve managed to do some listening every day so far so that’s something! I’m definitely still significantly lacking in the listening skills department but it’s getting easier I think, and this is certainly the way to make progress :blush: Glad to be in it together!

Omg, of all the ones to mess up :joy:

9 Likes

Aug 1, Mon of Week 6 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

Today’s story is 桃太郎 (:studio_microphone:).

This one is just too sleepy for my tastes, but I just want to read a long version. Also, a lot of 塗り絵 extras.

Story impression

A lot of vocabularies today.

Also, a GetBackers’ story

Then I found this one from YouTube suggestions. Looks fun, and I can somewhat understand the audio (and I can read.)

Yesterday I finished reading Death Note Vol.3, and watched Death Note EP.11. Even with some vocabularies known, I still feel I don’t pick up enough.

I guess, vocabularies aside, it still somehow depends on sentence structures and sound changes.

9 Likes

August 1 :green_square:

Limited time today (I expect most of August to be like this), so I just watched a video on how to make Rolled Omelette. Then I proceeded to make said omelette :grin:
It didn’t come out as pretty because I don’t have a rectangle pan like that, but it was surprisingly tasty and ふわふわ! And ぷるぷる :joy:
By the way, it was the first time I used chopsticks in cooking, and they are surprisingly handy. Who needs all those kitchen tools when there are chopsticks!

10 Likes

Home Post

Another good week down! :blush:

I broke my streak on Sunday, but that was still a solid 21 days of purposeful, daily listening in a row. I’m pretty proud of that.

Looking back at July, I didn’t get in as varied a listening exposure as I’d have liked, ideally… but that was still a whole bunch of listening I don’t usually do. I’m particularly happy about finishing the audiobook for Kiki.

Maybe I’ll start another one for August…? We’ll see! I’m super undecided where I want to lay my focus. :sweat_smile: It’d be nice if I could manage to set a new streak record!

Dailies

25: Watched a Sanbonjuku video on a proper self introduction shared here. I like his channel, been a while since I last tuned in. :slight_smile: I also played this week’s part of Loopers.
26: Couple episodes of terrace house.
27: And another couple episodes of terrace house. 10 11 down, 37 to go. Or something like that.
28: More Terrace House, and the first episode of 初めてのお使い on Netflix.
29: Listened to a 26 minute long episode of The Real Japanese podcast. x.X
30: Getting home after a long day of work, mindlessly browsing the forum before bed… I noticed I hadn’t listened yet! I went to the FNN news YouTube channel @Myria shared in the jlpt thread. The first video was 3 minutes long. I listened 2 times, then one more time while perusing the transcript to catch the last 2 words I was missing. :sweat_smile:
31: … I planned to play Loopers as my listening for the day, but that didn’t happen. Lots of moving prep and a visit from a friend happened instead. I kind of forgot I hadn’t listened to anything yet. :sweat_smile: We played some Taiko no Tatsujin, but I don’t think I can count the background はやし立て as listening. Oh well.

25 :video_game: 26 :tv: 27 :tv: 28 :tv: 29 :studio_microphone: 30 :earth_asia: 31 :heavy_multiplication_x:
12 Likes

偽計業務妨害 is a word…

2 Likes

:sound: Listening Room: Date 20220801 :loud_sound:

Day XLI: Clay :brick:

NHK school vid.

About making things out of clay! Think this one said it was in the 5-6 age range, which is a bit higher than me at the moment, I think my comprehension was at about 50-60%, must train ears further.

9 Likes

August 1st!

Today I watched an episode of Shirokuma Cafe (with subs), I could understand a fair amount of it but not enough to follow what was happening without the subs!
I also listened to Episode 38 of Nihongo con Teppei for beginners.

(Home Post)

12 Likes

Home post

LEDC
Week 6

8月1日
Yuusuke & Kaito, episode 11.

10 Likes

Aug 2, Tue of Week 6 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

Today I watched 宝 on ひょうたんからコトバ. It might be understandable without or with subtitle, however, honestly, maybe not sufficient?..

Even then, there is always a full transcript on the side.

Impression

沈黙は金、雄弁は銀。 Nonetheless, it’s always hard for both reaching out, gauging what people really feel.

Yesterday I found WIRED.jp, but it is spoken English anyway (with JP sub).

By chance, I also found SPY x FAMILY’s アーニャ commentary by Onnomappu. And it’s mildly interesting. (That Anya’s face always broke me. I think it is in Vol.2.) Actually, I can understand this one pretty well without sub.

Then I read-aloud 浦島太郎 (listened first) (:studio_microphone:).

Story impression

One way to put it, is the princess girl tricked MC to be unable to return to former times, passing the point of no return. I guess MC is just pure and gullible…

I am not sure if the given Box has a taste of regrets?

10 Likes

August 1 :blossom: Home Post

Today’s a sleepy day so I just watched some more let’s play stuff! Though I guess that isn’t really different from any other day haha, but hey consistency!

11 Likes

I was all “I don’t want to watch emotionally heavy stuff” yesterday and then I jumped into a movie about cheating. I love movies and dramas about cheating. It’s like crime shows but it’s CRIMES OF THE HEART. :hocho: :broken_heart:

Trailer here - 先生、私の隣に座っていただけませんか

Ughhhh it’s so good! But I only had time to watch half of it yesterday and today my partner is in a chatty mood today so I need something I’m not as emotionally invested in, so I opted to start 屍人荘の殺人 (trailer) which I have little to no emotional investment in. I actually own the audiobook version and I got several chapters in before giving up as I’d completely lost track of names* and was hopelessly mixed up. It also wasn’t really my writing style, although I do want to finish it at some point just because.

Edit: I started watching again right after writing this and it’s a zombie film. This is what I get for not reading summaries. I don’t like zombie films at all. What a waste.

I will at some point return to Prince of Legend and report on that chaos, but not tonight.

*This is actually my biggest trouble with audiobooks as even in English I forget character names rather easily when I only hear them. I’m currently listening to the audiobook for Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None and I continually get the characters mixed up. Thankfully as it goes on the character list decreases :wink:

11 Likes

Summary Post

August 1st
What did I listen to?: Obey Me! Boys in the House Ep 2
How much time did I spend listening?: 18 min

I’m so tired :smiling_face_with_tear: Work is the worst :smiling_face_with_tear:
But you know what’s not the worst is Obey Me! Boys~

Specific shoutout to Ayme-san who was very adorable to me in this episode xD Baby Satoshi is also adorable, as per usual, his puppy dog eyes killed me :pleading_face:

I really need to watching this episode again to fully understand what’s going on lol, but it’s late and I’m tired. There were a lot of words I didn’t know in the beginning :face_with_spiral_eyes: But the main part of the video was them playing a game where they had to say welcome back messages as their character? And then someone judged whether it fit or not? At one point, I think they were randomly talking about the karaoke thing I watched earlier lol, Ayme-san got excited about it and it was very cute xD

11 Likes

That’s Christie’s fault, I feel. Too many characters, not enough connection to any of them to make them memorable. I had the exact same problem until almost the end, and I was reading the book

It is? It wasn’t clear from the trailer at all.

3 Likes