Jul
------ ------ 27 28 29 30 31
Aug
01 02 03 04 05 06 07
08 09 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

I’m not sure what I’ll use as listening material just yet.

8 Likes

Nothing too noticeable? You mean Teppei intermediate not beginners right because otherwise I might have to call myself a failure :smiling_face_with_tear: :rofl: :joy: :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yes! Sorry I should have specified ^^ . Whenever I refer to Teppei’s podcast I always mean the intermediate one.

1 Like

July 27 :orange_square:

Watched the second of the Japan Foundation’s videos on manga. This was on how manga is made, and I’m sure it was very interesting, but I understood precious little. I’ll need to rewatch with subtitles at some point.

Then I clicked on a video YouTube recommended, where someone was painting a portrait of his cat in watercolours. I was so distracted by his punctuating every couple of words with ね, I didn’t understand all that much, but the cat was cute, and so was the painting.

I’m having so many such days, it’s practically the norm for me. I can’t even count the times I started browsing for something to watch, then realized I had spent more than the duration of a full movie sampling and rejecting stuff one after the other. :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

Home post

LEDC
Week 5

July 27
Yuusuke & Kaito, episodes 2 and 3.

I think this one is definitely just a step above Teppei’s podcast which is great for me because I was just looking for something like this. One thing I dislike a lot though is the constant interruptions to play a tune and say the name of the podcast like three or four times per episode, sigh. I hope that changes when I get to the ones where it’s just Yuusuke. But despite that, the conversation seems to be very natural and they use perhaps a wider range of vocabulary and expressions, feels more like an actual podcast. They referred to their advanced students at some point so I suppose they are (or were) teachers of an advanced Japanese course in Mexico, though I wouldn’t say it feels advanced personally. I’m definitely not an advanced learner yet.

10 Likes

:sound: Listening Room: Date 20220727 :loud_sound:

Day XXXVI: ワンちゃん :dog2:

Watched an NHK school vid.

I solely clicked on this one because the cover picture was a cute shiba inu.

In it, ワンちゃん the crime busting police dog has to solve two heinous crimes, number one - what length hot dog does Mr. Police-Senpai want?? And how do you measure a hot dog with no measuring device?? with a policebrand eraser of course, but they come in two sizes, iddy-biddy, and BIG. such conundrum

Crime Case #2 - Crazy evil leotard number wizard has stolen all measuring devices so a girl can’t get her feet measured and get new shoes… ワンちゃん time!
ワンちゃん

12 Likes

I’ve listened to a lot of YUYUの日本語 and don’t think I’ve ever come across this so think it must just be an early ‘I don’t know how to make podcasts!’ thing

6 Likes

July 27th!

I watched episode 10 of Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens with subs during my lunchbreak, and then 2 episodes of Nihongo con Teppei after work.
I also listened to another JapaneseJod101 Core Words video while I was writing my diary this evening.

(Home Post)

10 Likes

I watched this after reading your description, and I have never seen anything so hilarious and campy. What a joy!

5 Likes

I’ll probably do more listening today of random things, but I started a show called 教祖のムスメ and it is right up my alley. Weirdly dark, female main is kinda insane*, hinting at a larger, darker story. YES. I’m probably going to rewatch at least this first episode though because it has no JP subs available and I missed a line here or there. Normally not an issue but this show is already light on dialogue.

Seriously I love dark, unhinged female leads. Love Exposure, 賭ケグルイ, etc. All about it.

10 Likes

Hello! I’m new to participating in the WaniKani community forums but I really want to improve my Japanese and stumbled upon this listening challenge! I apologize for participating in the challenge so late! I hope there can be a similar challenge for the next season :blush: Anyway, in hopes of keeping myself accountable here is my listening log! I’m still very much a beginner so many of my listening resources will be geared towards that level.

Jul
01 02 03
04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Aug
01 02 03 04 05 06 07
08 09 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
14 Likes

I’ve decided to just listen to whatever native material I can each day. I listened to a Nihongo con Teppei podcast episode and am considering having anime on in the background, though I’m not sure if the latter would be effective listening practice. Maybe I’ll look into voice actor interviews as well.

11 Likes

I love oat milk lattes! I’m also a beginner and the community has been very welcoming, so don’t be afraid to get involved.

5 Likes

Summary Post

July 27th
What did I listen to?: Obey Me! anime - 3 episodes
How much time did I spend listening?: probably like 12 min not counting the closing song

I’m big stress times today, it was hard to think of anything I would want to listen to or read I didn’t really get to the reading…again. I really thought sitting down and listening regularly was going to be the challenge but it’s definitely not working out that way :sweat_smile: Anyway, I’m glad I chose this, though, because within a minute I was laughing and feeling way less stressed, they’re so adorable :joy: I watched at least one of these before with English subs on, but I kept the subs off this time. Having no subs really made me appreciate the voice acting more, though I didn’t understand good chunks of what was said. I didn’t realize that there were only 3 episodes of this D: I thought there were more for some reason. Oh well.

This one is the cutest, the faces game is too much xD

Also bunny Asmo from ep 3 is killing me, look at how cute ><
Screenshot 2022-07-27 194812

Give him all the carrots :3

11 Likes

I had no idea what was going on most of the time, but that was cute to watch. xD

3 Likes

Jul 28, Thu of Week 5 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

Today’s story is カエルと娘 (:studio_microphone:).

Story impression

New vocabulary – 死に(かた). Longer version – 不思議な死に(かた).

Also thanks someone for telling the vocabulary (あきなう)う (and 大商人(あきんど)) the other day.

Yesterday, I finished reading 1/3 of かがみの孤城 Ch.1, which is equivalent to 1 track of audiobook (20 minutes); nonetheless, I can’t say I really understand the track that well even then. I continued to the second track (which is also Ch.1), regardless.

I watched となりの怪物くん with sub, then 盾の勇者の成り上がり without sub. (Both on Netflix.) Somehow, I can also understand the second series to some extent, enough to consider watching further. However, the last time I stopped watching, is because I wasn’t sure if it would be counter-productive to my learning.

For those three things, I consider learning vocabularies in advance a possibility. Probably there is a vocabulary Sheets in the book club. Also, subtitle scripts probably can be segmented and normalize to dictionary forms, to remove contexts and spoilers.

ひょうたんからコトバ, on NHK for School, might be revisited later.

9 Likes

Welcome! Don’t worry about joining late, it’s no problem. I hope you can find some interesting things to listen to in the thread! I’ve definitely gotten some great ideas from the people who post here.

4 Likes

July 27 :blossom: Home Post

I tried to watch some more Tiger & Bunny but my brain said no actually :joy: so just some more random let’s play stuff! And then I ended up watching bits and pieces of stuff posted here; that cat is so cute :face_holding_back_tears: (and I accidentally watched that whole little obey me scene lmao, very fun)

11 Likes

July 28 :orange_square:

Today I watched three random videos on お盆. I keep seeing お盆 mentioned in books here and there, so I thought I might as well learn something more about it. I just wanted to watch one video, but given how little I understood, I thought one more would maybe fill in the gaps, and then one more. The last one, which was for children, was unsurprisingly the easiest to understand, yet I still have gaps.
Apparently it’s a very bad idea to enter the sea during お盆, but I didn’t catch why. :sweat_smile:

Sounds like something I could hugely enjoy too! I didn’t find a way I could watch it, but that’s okay, as I’d just get frustrated at my current level - there’s no way I’d understand enough to enjoy it properly yet…

11 Likes

:sound: Listening Room: Date 20220728 :loud_sound:

Day XXXVII: I LIKE BACON :bacon:

NHK school vid.

This was under the English section, I thought Japanese teaching English might help me with reverse translation. It was going well at the start, I think it did help a bit as they would copy the English in Japanese, but then the I LIKE BACON song started and I think my sanity is waning.
ohno… the bacon song, it never ends, it just keeps going
you think it’s ended, but no, it evolves into a different bacon form: bacon rap, bacon battle…
please, no more bacon, please let it end

IT’sa MUSHROOM

I don’t think I’ll go near the English section again.

11 Likes