🔉 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge (Summer Edition) 🏖

Jul 16, Sat of Week 3 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

Today’s story is 鐘突き堂を守ったカニ (:studio_microphone:).

Kanetsukidou-gacha-400yen

Story impression

Battle of the crabs :crabigator: :fire: :angrykoichi:

Just today, I realize I should download the audio file (right-click from Hukumusume HTML5 audio player, otherwise use youtube-dl to download from YouTube) and import into Audacity for easy rewind and pinpointing the starting location.

Yesterday, I went shopping, so listening to Podbean for about half an hour; then in the evening, I went jogging (mostly walking actually) for about a hour and a half; so in total, listened for about 2 hours. However, I didn’t catch much – there were a lot of names of すごい人 and the praise.

I tried watching Sushi history from Japan Foundation – I felt I still don’t understand enough (unless I were to study it). Another one I watched is かまへんライダー. Also, if you look at the Kanji for ひょうきん, it uses an exceptional reading.

Hiiki Biiki might be listenable from mobile from archive.org website. (I never knew archive.org has that capability.) Also of course it can be downloaded (total of a few GB). I might try later.

10 Likes

Home post

LEDC
Week 3

July 15

Nihongo con Teppei Z, episode 30 → 14 min.

Note to self: don’t “try for a couple mins” Howl’s Moving Castle at 2 am. Took me 40 mins to stop it very hesitantly, I wanted to watch the whole thing. Which I definitely would, but I didn’t plan to sleep super late today :joy: :joy: which I’ll do at this rate anyway, just not THAT late. So technically that one podcast episode and 40 mins of the movie but I won’t count that.

Just had a thought of “why not watch every Ghibli movie available on Netflix”? There are so so many I haven’t watched yet and it could be a good opportunity to test waters after so long. In this case I’ve already watched Howl’s Moving Castle but still, never in Japanese, and it was surprisingly very comfortable. Sounds like a super fun little project and quite a lot of exposure, so might do that soon!

13 Likes

July 15 :blossom: Home Post

Nothing too crazy today, just another Cities Skylines video! Idk if it was just that video but somehow it felt easier than they have? So hey maybe some progress :tada:

Oooh that sounds fun :eyes: so many classics and there are still way too many I’ve never seen whoops

12 Likes

Summary Post

July 15th
What did I listen to?: はじめてのおつかい
How much time did I spend listening?: 3 episodes (50 min)

I was supposed to read today but I’m mentally and emotionally over it, this week has been so long and I am so tired
My brain said “no. only はじめてのおつかい”
So I am here in this thread today xD
At least I did something, that alone feels like a victory

10 Likes

Sorry for double posting! But I finished 殺人ライセンス :sweat_smile: Despite saying it would take another day. My first bus was late and I ended up walking home (~1 hour) so I finished it out. My overall impression was: meh. If you’re looking for listening practice with a slightly easier book, it’ll do. I don’t think the book is really worth seeking out though. You can see my full review here if you like.

But! I’m actually posting because I found a translated podcast?! That’s a thing? :exploding_head: 死の医師 on Audible but it said it was on Apple Podcasts and some other stuff so it’s probably elsewhere as well. Listening to the ‘intro’ made my head spin because they spoke Japanese over English voices and my brain wanted to follow both and I had to consciously choose not to. It seems to do that a bit in the actual show, but not as much? I’m not very far into it though.
Seems to be somewhat up my alley so I’m taking it for a whirl. :smiley:

Edit:

It 100% is. I didn’t read for like a week straight recently. It happens. Back on the horse, did some sort of JP practice every day anyways. In the grand scheme it’s fine :slight_smile:

11 Likes

:sound: Listening Room: Date 20220716 :loud_sound:

Day XXV: せんこうそば :ramen:

Listened to today’s Edo tale! About soba noodle which reminds me, I have soba noodle, must eat

:rofl: :rofl:

This sounds like a great idea! Ghibli movies are the best!
Plus the Japanese isn’t too crazy, so good for ear learning.

9 Likes

July 16th.

I had a call with one of my tutors this morning, which I think counts towards listening practise!

Other than that though, just a teeny bit of listening because I was out for the vast majority of the day. I listened to Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners, Episode 20.

(Home Post)

12 Likes

Summary Post

July 16th
How much time did I spend listening?: 7 episodes (91 min)

Went on a tiny はじめてのおつかい binge this morning :flushed: Something about it is very chill and relaxing :relieved:

Something really cool happened though! I actually caught like a whole entire sentence from start to finish! Like I heard all of the words very clearly and understood it xD Idk how to explain it well, but it stopped being drrrrrrrrrrrrrr gibberish with some known words sprinkled in and turned into all words xD Like, whoa

10 Likes

July 16 :blossom: Home Post

99% of my free time today was occupied by steam deck so not a whole lot of listening; I mostly just watched some let’s plays :man_shrugging: There was a part in Steins;Gate, which I played a bit today, that didn’t have any subtitles so woooo listening in the wild! :joy:

That’s wild, I never would’ve thought of that! That’s really cool though, very interesting concept :eyes:

Yayyyy that’s super awesome, congrats!!! :tada:

10 Likes

Jul 17, Sun of Week 3 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

Today’s story is 幽霊の頼み (:studio_microphone:), a story from 大阪府.

u-ray

Would you listen to 幽霊の頼み? What’s the risk?

Story impression

それでも、成仏のことは失敗しました。幽霊も増えました。

A part of reading aloud is indeed rewinding to make sure that I can pronounce correctly, for example, その後 (only one of three entries in Yomichan has a sound file), お腹の子.

I think I can hear pitch accent, but combining with yesterday’s materials, I think pitch is only among many other difficulties…

Yesterday, I watched Hunter x Hunter (2011) without JP subs which in the first 10 minutes or so, I used absolute attention and rewinding. Indeed, better understanding and vocabulary collecting is possible, just harder. Of course, the whole EP is about 30 minutes, and I was interrupted too, so I got tired and gave up.

Gotta admit, though; listening without text makes me try harder in picking out vocabularies based on sound or something harder to hear – it’s probably worth it when the time is right…

Anyway, I think I won’t be watching Hunter x Hunter anime, both of remake and older version (too hard, and not yet time/focus); and probably won’t be reading Hunter x Hunter manga for now. (If anything, I prefer reading the whole long manga series in the future.)

Afterwards, in the morning, I watched となりの怪物くん (with JP sub) a little. I paused every once in while, but it is definitely learnable.

11 Likes

Thurs: Japanese lessons, language exchange.
Fri; yoga, dance, cafe event.
Sat; barbeque event
.sun: kamishibai performance

10 Likes

:sound: Listening Room: Date 20220717 :loud_sound:

Day XXVI: :durtle_yellow_rodent:

Ended up just watching a few episodes of Pokemon today. For some reason I seem to be able to understand Pokemon names and Pokemon move-names the easiest… you know, the least useful things to know in Japanese.

Trying to get Japanese to enter my brain

15 Likes

July 17th!

Today I listened to 2 episodes of JapanesePod101s 800 Core Words series, and an episode of Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners.

(Home Post)

10 Likes

Summary Post

July 17th
How much time did I spend listening?: 4 episodes (60 min)

Finished off the rest of the はじめてのおつかい episodes on Netflix…I didn’t really think that through all the way because this week is going to be exhausting and idk what I’m going to listen to now :joy: Why are there only 20 episodes of this :cry:

9 Likes

I started a new audiobook, 仮面病棟, a name which those of you who took part in the Japanese Online Film Festival might recall the movie version of! Incidentally, it’s by the same author as 硝子の塔の殺人 and I’m honestly fascinated by how different the writing style feels. The characterizations are so different between the books!
The audiobook for 硝子の塔の殺人 is much better done with multiple voice actors, this one is just a straight reading by one person just like 殺人ライセンス was.

I listened to a little over an hour which as the audiobook is only ~9 hours long puts a decent chunk of the way through. I’m finding it pretty easy to follow, some of which perhaps is having already seen the movie version and some of it is just that it has vocab which is largely already familiar to me (medical/hospital terms, some crime words). I’ll rate it on Natively when I’m done but right now I’m guessing ~32ish in case anyone else wanted to check it out.

9 Likes

July 17 :blossom: Home Post

Nothing too crazy today, just some more let’s play stuff. It feels like listening is getting less taxing maybe? It’s still significantly more energy for me than reading ever is, but it’s gradually getting easier so that’s good!

9 Likes

How’s the practice? Just checking in on you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Heya, thought I might join in a bit late, as I’ve been listening to stuff anyway, mostly podcasts and such.

Jul
01 02 03
04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Aug
01 02 03 04 05 06 07
08 09 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

Currently listening to

12 Likes

:grin:except for 1 or 2 days i have been listening for about 2 to 4 hours a day extensively. My understanding of anything other than behinner con teppei is not any better but I will be listening over the episodes I went through previously (yuyu podcasts and bite sized Japanese) intenstively with their subtitles.
Much appreciated

11 Likes
Jul
11 :tv: 12 :studio_microphone: 13 :studio_microphone: 14 :headphones: 15 :studio_microphone: 16 :studio_microphone: 17 :studio_microphone:

See my home post for the full calendar~

It’s time for another weekly recap! Look at this beautiful, full week. :blush: I can’t believe I made it.

I ended up listening to podcasts a lot, which seems to be the least demanding of these activities? It makes sense, sort of. They tend to be shorter than an episode of most TV shows, or a chapter of Kiki.

I honestly expected to watch more youtube, but oh well, this is what happened. Not having to watch a screen while you’re listening does help.

Anyway, here’s my recap for the week: Finished 未来日記S2, chapter 6 of 魔女の宅急便, as well as a bunch of The real Japanese Podcast and an episode of 内向ゲイと左右と上下, another podcast.

Way too detailed breakdown

11: Watched the last two eps of 未来日記! I love it. It’s such a ridiculous concept but somehow done so well.
12: I searched for (and found) a variety of Podcasts to listen to. First one: The Real Japanese Podcast EP 1. I’d listened to a couple random episodes of this podcast before, so I decided to go with what I already knew for a start and listened to the first episode!
13: Went through The Real Japanese podcast archive and downloaded the episodes I’m most interested in. I might just start by going through these rather than in order… ‘Just’ being relative, I marked 48 episodes, ranging from 10-20+ minutes. :sweat_smile: This day I listened to the 3 earliest episodes she made about corona. 4 left, then I think I’ll listen to the travel related ones for some inspo for my next Japan trip.
14: Kiki Chapter 6! 37 minutes. Left it for too late, before bed. Almost fell asleep a couple times. :zzz:
15: Listened to another corona episode from The Real Japanese podcast, this one from August 21. We’re getting closer to recent news, haha. It’s interesting letting it all pass review through someone else’s eyes like this. Listened to the same episode twice, because I listened while making pickles out of cucumbers… And I wasn’t sure how much I was actually processing. :smiley: I’m not good at multitasking, nope.
16: Full day of work. Got home around 0:20 am, didn’t feel up to intensive listening. Scrolled through the Japanese language section of the German audible contents and stumbled upon a podcast that seemed interesting (内向ゲイと左右と上下). The first episode was just an introduction of the host and the podcast concept, so I didn’t mind not being able to pay it my full attention so much. May relisten at some point if I feel like it. :slight_smile:
17: …what felt like all the podcasts. I will be watering my mum’s garden while she’s away this upcoming week, starting today. So I spent an hour and a half ish doing that today (also picking raspberries :yum:), all the while listening to the real Japanese Podcast. I finished the (obviously) COVID related podcasts, and then also listened to one on Japanese slang (familiar terms, but it was interesting to hear her explain about the nuances anyways) as well as two or three travel related ones! I was especially excited about the 小豆島 one, because a couple episodes of 未来日記 played there. :eyes:

10 Likes