🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Spring 2023 🌼 🌱

More Splatoon! This guy puts out daily videos of him playing the splattershot jr. I find the dedication impressive – the weapon’s very supportive and honestly not in a great place right now. It’s a little carried by him having really good movement, heh. I don’t get all of it in these videos, but I’ve found this guy one of the easier ones to follow of the people I watch. Anyway, it’s been really helpful to converge my interests like this!

12 Likes

In a lot these OVAs I’ve seen they have some really cool sequences and ideas, but then they get bogged down with random plot dumps, super long character soliloquies and the like and then everything starts to drag. But this just went full out, forget the plot, more action, embrace the ridiculous… and somehow ends up be wildly entertaining, no idea how they pulled it off :rofl:

I’ve had loads of fun hunting down random and obscure OVAs. Some are really trashy but there’s usually at least one stand out point in every one I’ve seen. It’s great when you find one that you can’t believe you’ve never heard of before. I just love this era’s tendency to take things way over the top… and then some.

8 Likes

May 16th!

Today I watched this video Japanese Conversation in Italki with a Fun British Man - Part 1 - YouTube I didnt understand everything, but I was generally able to follow the conversation.

I also watched episode 2 of MASHLE, but I had english subs on for that.

(Home Post)

13 Likes

Summary Post

May 16th
What did I listen to?: もしもしゆうすけ in Jinbouchou
How much time did I spend listening?: ~12 min

I missed yesterday because I decided that I’m not going to stress about not reading/listening on days when I get done with work late. It is what it is and it just be like that sometimes. :woman_shrugging: I luckily feel like I’m at a point right now where one missed day is not in danger of turning into missed…months, so I’m not stressing over just taking a day here or there when I need a break.

We’re walkin’ in Jinbouchou again today, talking about…crime and getting lost :joy: I love how he was like “ok I’m gonna wrap this up now” when the video was only like half over xD

13 Likes

:cherry_blossom: :seedling: 5月12日 -16日 :seedling: :cherry_blossom: (Home Post Link)

I honestly kinda forget what exactly I was watching/listening to each day so some of these might be off a bit, but I did keep the streak!

5/12 - Reitaisai 2023 & fumo party 11 例大祭2023に参加しふもふもパーティ11を盛大に開催してきた - YouTube watched this video of the ふも鯖 東方例大祭 afterparty, and also listened to the album Haruomi House by Haruomi Hosono

5/13 - お前はまだ平仮名を知らない - YouTube - sometimes I get these linguistics-y videos but from the japanese side, they’re always fun, even if I don’t understand much. Using non-standard hiragana to capture sounds in other languages. Also listened to Taeko Onuki’s album SUNSHOWER, kinda proto-citypop. Ryuichi Sakamoto played piano on this

5/14 - Watched a livestream of mio playing online claw machines for about 30 min, which I did not know were a thing :sweat_smile: Like, actually controlling a real physical machine from your browser/phone. I checked, and they don’t ship to the US or I would’ve tried them out :laughing: Also watched another episode of yuru camp, but still w english subs.

5/15 - らっきょうの塩漬けの作り方☆らっきょうの下処理〜食べ方まで丁寧にご紹介!パリパリ食感がやみつきになります☆-How to make Pickled Shallot-【料理研究家ゆかり】 - YouTube another video from the diet cooking channel, but this one sounded interesting. I quick pickle my own onions and stuff, but I haven’t ever really tried to do real pickles before, so I learned some stuff.
評価値不利を目指す筈が【まさかの有力戦法】爆誕!?たこ金エルモ! - YouTube Also watched this quick shogi video, but barely followed the conversation. Brain power was entirely taken up by trying to analyze the game :upside_down_face: no time to think about the japanese

5/16 - 【絶品】はちみつレモン(レモンの蜂蜜漬け/砂糖漬け)の作り方|長期保存法 - YouTube watched this video about preserving lemon slices in honey and sugar, this seems pretty easy to try, but I’m running dangerously low on jars already :sweat_smile:

I forget what day it was, but I also went thrifting at some point and found something kinda cool!

I tend to do a quick scan for any non-roman alphabet scripts in the cd and book section on my way out, and happened to notice this. Somehow, a personally signed, self-produced jpop album from an artist in osaka with basically no following made its way to a thrift store washington! This album is pretty ok, but got me to listen to some of his other stuff (this album is not on streaming anywhere, sorry) and I was enjoying it quite a bit. It’s very early 2010s jpop, but it’s fun and I’ll always support people just makin music bc they like makin music. I also found his instagram/twitter, and I guess he’s still active and plays shows. Hopefully he’s still going in a few years when I go to japan!

13 Likes

16/05/2023 :fairy:t5: Home Post Link

I watched this video. I have no idea who that person is and I’m not following them either, but I clicked on it by accident and found that the way they were speaking was easy to understand, plus they used a lot of known and easy words. I would say I understood around 60% of the video. The speed was too fast for me, so maybe I’ll understand more if I slow down the playback speed.

11 Likes

:hot_pepper: May 16th

Double feature today. A Story of Floating Weeds (1934) and Floating Weeds (1959). Only Floating Weeds counted as listening practice, since the other is silent :smirk_cat: The language felt old fashioned but vocal quality sounded mostly clean.
In both films the director employs a healthy dose of butt and boob scratching to show how “slice of life” the story is. That’s my intelligent take away from this one.

Glad to see stop-motion get some love btw :+1: It’s infrequently not just a hobby of mine to work on stop-motion animation type projects. Hidari was probably actually brought to my attention more for its animation style than its langauge. The BTS shows some very nice toys in use. :jelly emoji:

12 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Day 47, 5 月 17 日 :herb:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

:hibiscus: Comprehensible Japanese

Learning a lot of new verbs, with helpful cat pictures to reinforce meaning. :cat2:
And then a really long video about one of my favorite topics: stationary! Obviously this too had a large amount of verbs with demonstrations.

13 Likes

May 17, Wed of Week 8 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

Verbalization (writing) tips.

Parade 1 [5/6].

Time runs out if I am not careful. Doing things while it lasts.

12 Likes

17/05/2023 :fairy:t5: Home Post Link

one episode from Japanese with Shun. It’s been a while since I listened to these episodes, but I’m back to enjoying it now!

13 Likes

May 17th!

Today I listened to Episode 13 of JapanesePod101’s Lower Intermediate series.
It was another episode about how to write a postcard.

(Home Post)

13 Likes

May 18, Thu of Week 8 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

歴史 [67-68/90] - 産業革命

Places and names

Parade 1 [6/6].

YUYU on 10-year foreigner’s lesson.

12 Likes

May 18th!

Today I listened to the next episode of JapanesePod101’s Lower Intermediate series.
It was the 4th part of a story arc told via postcards being sent between friends.
Its been quite fun to listen to, even though the dialogues are quite tough to understand because its using very formal phrases that are usually used in writing.
I got the gist of what was happening in this one pretty well though :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

12 Likes

:hot_pepper: May 18

Re-watched a couple episodes of 極主夫道 today. Understood a few more jokes here and there. Started a third but forced myself to quit. Its already late.

Car audio Edgar Allen Poe translations again yesterday. Not much to tell. Except I definitely have not read the current story in English. So I’m extra lost.

11 Likes

18/05/2023 :fairy:t5: Home Post Link

woops couldn’t update yesterday. Listened to one episode from Nihongo con Teppei.

11 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Day 49, 5 月 19 日 :herb:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

:hibiscus: Comprehensible Japanese

Some easy stuff today. Tomorrow I’m gonna tackle that video about counters. It’s gonna be rough.

10 Likes

May 19th!

I had a lesson with my tutor today.
We talked about afternoon tea, and about what I’ve been up to in work recently.
We also did some exam style listening questions, and I got 75% right this week, which is a big improvement on how I’ve been doing on those recently.

(Home Post)

10 Likes

Summary Post

May 17th
What did I listen to?: もしもしゆうすけ in Asakusa
How much time did I spend listening?: ~12 min

May 18th
What did I listen to?: もしもしゆうすけ at Inohana Castle talking about cameras
How much time did I spend listening?: ~13 min

May 19th
What did I listen to?: もしもしゆうすけ in Roppongi talking about money
How much time did I spend listening?: ~13 min

I really have not felt like posting the past few days but I have been listening :slight_smile: Today’s video was on money - I don’t know why I thought I would understand this in Japanese when I barely understand money stuff in English :joy: Spoiler alert, I did not, I spent most of the video reading subtitles

10 Likes

19/05/2023 :fairy: Home Post Link

one episode from Japanese with Shun

10 Likes

:hot_pepper: May 19

極主夫道 again tonight. Accidentally started the last episode I watched and watched it anyway. Then a new episode. Our introduction to rap battles. Worked much better here than I imagined from the manga.

10 Likes