🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Spring 2023 🌼 🌱

May 25th!

Another lesson today - I normally have 1-2 lessons in a week, but this week I got the opportunity to have 2 extra lessons with new teachers so I jumped on that chance!

Today I had a free talk session with one of these new teachers and it was really fun. We talked about the town I live in, and discovered that we had very similar tastes in manga so we compared our favourite characters from some of the series we had both enjoyed :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

9 Likes

25/05/2023 :fairy:t5: Home Post Link

Japanese with Shun - 1 ep

8 Likes

Been meaning to get some listening done but I could never get it in. Today I listened/watched Akane’s latest vid about a trip in Okinawa:

I feel I am way too over reliant on the JP subtitles, when reading them I understand about 80%, but if I look away and just listen it’s not even half that, like 35% or so. And that that I do pick up from listening always seems to be the same words/phrases. Come on brain, it’s time to learn some new words now.

Also, vlogs always seem to have a food section, which always makes me hungry. Now I crave the noodle but all I have is bread for lunch, perhaps if I were to procure some noodle for later… :thinking:

8 Likes

May 26, Fri of Week 9 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

Parade 3 - 12-15 [3/4].

歴史 [78-79/90] - 日中戦争

Places and names
8 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Day 56, 5 月 26 日 :herb:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

:hibiscus: Comprehensible Japanese - 平日と週末
Nice video about the things people do differently on the weekdays and the weekend.

8 Likes

May 26th!

I had a lesson with my tutor today. We talked about the language exchange I went to last week, and she told me some funny stories about playing shiritori with some of her students. She also recommended I watch Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear.
We did some exam style listening questions, and I got 3/4 right, but I needed to listen to 2 of them a second time before answering which obviously I wouldn’t be able to do in a test :grin: I’m definitely improving though!

(Home Post)

8 Likes

Summary Post

May 26th
What did I listen to?: Akane goes to Hokkaido on a business trip and discovers the CUTEST HOTEL EVER
How much time did I spend listening?: ~26 min

I started off just planning to watch the first video. I feel like it can be summed up with one word: xD
I was like, eh, ok, this is fine, nothing too exciting. But then.
But then suddenly I see
シマエナガ HOTEL ROOM :sob: :sob:
For those who don’t know, or don’t remember from the Read Every Day challenge, this is シマエナガ

81dfe43a689299c052cbfdac2274514a

The smallest, softest, roundest birb ever :pleading_face:
They were only there for a second, but a more in-depth video was teased, so I obviously had to go watch that video immediately. And I am dying, I am so upset that this was not going on while I was in Hokkaido, this is the CUTEST :sob: And we get to meet the man who makes the little シマエナガ decorations too, what a neat job :pleading_face: I love this hotel room so much, I want to go live there. I wonder if you got to keep the big squishy シマエナガ plushie. :eyes: I’m guessing probably not but I would hella buy it

8 Likes

26/05/2023 :fairy:t5: Home Post Link

I watched this video by 日本語の森 and only realized that I’d already seen it after 3 mins of watching lol

So I watched this video about 日本人が会話でよく使う言葉 instead. It was really interesting that I could uderstand most words and recognise some relatively new ones. I did rely a lot on the Japanese subtitles though, so I might want to stop doing that slowly as I watch/listen more. also really nice that they showed a context, conversation, and explanation of the word all in Japanese!

8 Likes

May 27, Sat of Week 9 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

歴史 [80-82/90] - World War II

Places and names
8 Likes

May 27th!

Another lesson today.
We talked above moving, as my tutor moved into a new apartment last week.
We also talked about other topics like our plans for the weekend and I learned some new Japanese idioms.

I also told him that I’ve been getting mixed up between ~にしては and ~にしても so we went over that together.

(Home Post)

8 Likes

Summary Post

May 27th
What did I listen to?: Akane goes to a cake store
How much time did I spend listening?: ~12 min

This video was good except for the massive random product placement/ad in the middle :upside_down_face: Not really a fan of the “commercial” vibe. Those cakes and donuts look delicious though and I want to eat them all especially the kuma cake :pleading_face:

8 Likes

I did 30 minutes with a new tutor yesterday as I want to focus on conversation. It was just daily life things so my understanding was about 95% but speaking was like 20%. “They” say if you consistently practice you will get better (which has been the case with reading and listening) so hopefully “they” are on to something with speaking as well.

8 Likes

27/05/2023 :fairy:t5: Home Post Link

Watched another video from 日本語の. I’m really enjoying this series, it’s pretty funny and also a nice idea to learn.

7 Likes

May 28, Sun of Week 9 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

歴史 [83-84/90] - 戦後の日本

Places and names

Japanese food history, why current food

Parade 3 - 16-20 [4/4].

8 Likes

Summary Post

May 28th
What did I listen to?: Akane goes to the supermarket in Hokkaido
How much time did I spend listening?: ~8 min

I don’t think I’ve ever seen udon, ramen etc. in refrigerated bags before :thinking: And it looks like you can just, like…eat it straight up from the bag?? …It’s probably a good thing that doesn’t exist here, I would eat it so much :eyes:

8 Likes

May 28th!

Today I listened to two episodes of JapanesePod101’s Lower Intermediate Series.
It was the end of the story arc about a some old friend sending postcards to each other.

(Home Post)

8 Likes

28/05/2023 :fairy:t5: Home Post Link

I just watched a bunch of youtube entertainment/lesson shorts in Japanese for more than 15 mins so I’m counting that as practice.

8 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Day 59, 5 月 29 日 :herb:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

:hibiscus: Comprehensible Japanese - スマホを使っていろんな動作をしよう!
Another long video, this time acting out words for interacting with the smartphone. Maybe I should have done something shorter while I’m still sick? Eh, whatever.

10 Likes

May 29, Mon of Week 10 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

Kurzgesagt楽観的虚無主義 - YouTube. This one is from Gorbit’s list, but I have to try out the difficulty. OK with sub, but I just don’t like the artwork.

歴史 [85/90] - 冷戦の開始

Places and names
9 Likes

29/05/2023 :fairy:t5: Home Post Link

I was walking alone today so I listened to 3 episodes from Japanese with Shun. The first two episodes went great in terms of comprehension, but I completely zoned out in the 3rd one and my focus went :chart_with_downwards_trend:

9 Likes