🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Spring 2023 🌼 🌱

:hot_pepper: May 18

Re-watched a couple episodes of 極主夫道 today. Understood a few more jokes here and there. Started a third but forced myself to quit. Its already late.

Car audio Edgar Allen Poe translations again yesterday. Not much to tell. Except I definitely have not read the current story in English. So I’m extra lost.

11 Likes

18/05/2023 :fairy:t5: Home Post Link

woops couldn’t update yesterday. Listened to one episode from Nihongo con Teppei.

11 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Day 49, 5 月 19 日 :herb:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

:hibiscus: Comprehensible Japanese

Some easy stuff today. Tomorrow I’m gonna tackle that video about counters. It’s gonna be rough.

10 Likes

May 19th!

I had a lesson with my tutor today.
We talked about afternoon tea, and about what I’ve been up to in work recently.
We also did some exam style listening questions, and I got 75% right this week, which is a big improvement on how I’ve been doing on those recently.

(Home Post)

10 Likes

Summary Post

May 17th
What did I listen to?: もしもしゆうすけ in Asakusa
How much time did I spend listening?: ~12 min

May 18th
What did I listen to?: もしもしゆうすけ at Inohana Castle talking about cameras
How much time did I spend listening?: ~13 min

May 19th
What did I listen to?: もしもしゆうすけ in Roppongi talking about money
How much time did I spend listening?: ~13 min

I really have not felt like posting the past few days but I have been listening :slight_smile: Today’s video was on money - I don’t know why I thought I would understand this in Japanese when I barely understand money stuff in English :joy: Spoiler alert, I did not, I spent most of the video reading subtitles

10 Likes

19/05/2023 :fairy: Home Post Link

one episode from Japanese with Shun

10 Likes

:hot_pepper: May 19

極主夫道 again tonight. Accidentally started the last episode I watched and watched it anyway. Then a new episode. Our introduction to rap battles. Worked much better here than I imagined from the manga.

10 Likes

May 19, Fri of Week 8 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

Parade 2 - 1 first half [1/4].

May 20, Sat of Week 8 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

Parade 2 - 1 latter half [2/4].

歴史 [69-71/90] - around World War 1 which overlaps with 大正時代

Places and names

YUYU on the time of weakness.

10 Likes

Summary Post

May 20th
What did I listen to?: もしもしゆうすけ at the conbini
How much time did I spend listening?: ~32 min

How many times did he need to go to the conbini to make this video :joy: I’m glad it was a lot though, I thought it was helpful to see it over and over again (with a few natural variations). Also, I wanna eat one of those perfect swirly ice cream cones that comes in a plastic container?? I don’t think that exists here :weary:

Forever thankful that the registers in Japan just show you the amount because I don’t think I caught a single complete number in all these conversations :joy: I get like parts of numbers but then miss the rest.

10 Likes

May 20th!

Today I went to a Japanese Language Exchange meetup in a nearby town.
We talked about lots of different topics including VR games, keeping a diary, being left handed and a local sushi restaurant.
I also learned a nice new word: 日向ぼこ which means “basking in the sun”.

For the last few minutes of the meetup, all of the groups sat together and we played Shiritori. I’ve never played before so I was please to have people to play with - Its harder than I expected though!

(Home Post)

10 Likes

20/05/2023 :fairy: Home Post Link

as usual, one episode from Japanese with Shun. I’m always so surprised and jelly with how this dude did hitchhiking, couchsurfing, solo travelling and so much more at a very young age. when is it my turn :weary:

9 Likes

:hot_pepper: May 20

極主夫道 once again. Reviewed the episode I ended on last night.

9 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Day 51, 5 月 21 日 :herb:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

:hibiscus: Comprehensible Japanese いくつ?①人や動物の数え方
The dreaded counter video. First half was entirely 人, then came (ひき) (small animals), (とう) (big animals), () (flying animals), with a bonus round for (まい) (flat objects, here: photos). I’ll need to look a bit more in how those rendaku, 匹 especially.

9 Likes

May 21, Sun of Week 8 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

Parade 2 - 2 first half [3/4]. And then rewind to 2 - 1, but it’s quite long.

歴史 [72-74/90] - Asia and Japan

Places and names

Japanese with Teppei and Noriko #30-32. Conversation practice, but cutting off at weird places, urging to continue.

9 Likes

21/05/2023 :fairy:t5: Home Post Link

watched this vlog - これが日本の「一人焼肉」です. It was really fun, I think I might subscribe or check out other vidoes by this person too. I’d say the difficulty was around N5-N4, so it worked in my favor! the conversation exchanges were way too fast for me, so I had to reduce the playback speed for those, but otherwise, i could understand things pretty well.

also, i have absolutely no idea how people eat alone in restaurants. I would do the dead-stare thing at everyone and die of awkwardness. I’d rather buy the food and eat somewhere less crowded lol

8 Likes

Summary Post

May 21th
What did I listen to?: もしもしゆうすけ eating out
How much time did I spend listening?: ~32 min

Making me cringe as I recall how insanely awkward and probably inadvertently/unknowingly rude I was when I tried to eat at restaurants in Japan :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil: No lie, I would sometimes just buy a bunch of stuff from the conbini and/or take an ekiben back to my hotel room so I didn’t have to do this :joy: Some people enjoy going out to eat on vacation but I am absolutely not one of those people, even when language barrier is not an issue - like I enjoy food but the process of trying to figure out where/how to get it is probably the most stressful part of vacation for me tbh. It doesn’t seem like it should be that hard but I never know what I’m doing, every restaurant is different and when I don’t know what to expect, I forget how to be a person and then die of embarrassment when I’m confused and/or say something dumb :see_no_evil: Like yes I am always “successful” in the sense that I obtain the food but god, at what cost :upside_down_face: Ugh, now cringing at the last time I tried to eat at a restaurant/bar while traveling - why am I so DUMB, like how do people just know how stuff works. Thank god I don’t ever have to go there again. Anyway…it would be nice if I could one day be more confident in my language skills so that they are at least not adding to the baseline awkwardness of me eating in an unfamiliar restaurant xD I feel like I would have to watch this video about a hundred more times though :upside_down_face:

He didn’t go to one of these in the video, but I like the places where you can just go around and pick out some pastries and stick 'em on a tray. Simple and tasty xD I definitely rely on the ease of obtaining pastries way too much while in Japan lmao, but like…they’re tasty, they’re everywhere, they come in fun/interesting flavors and varieties, savory or sweet, they don’t require any preparation or talking…perfect food for awkward bread-lovers like myself

10 Likes

May 21st!

I had a lesson with one of my tutors today. We talked about work, and about the language exchange that I went to yesterday and then he taught me some Japanese idioms, so that was fun :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

10 Likes

I have had so many awkward and terrible interactions at restaurants in Japan. I just… try not to think about it :sob:

5 Likes

I decided to try listening to an audiobook that I dabbled in before, 教団X, which has a movie trailer like ad for the book here. Last time I tried it I struggled a lot to stay focused and completely lost it during a chapter where a man was…basically rambling incoherently. I think I got most of it this time, although I did still lose focus a couple times so ‘blurry’ parts are higher than for other books. I think I might continue it because the difficulty isn’t too high, but I’m less sure I’ll finish it if my attention keeps drifting.

9 Likes

:cherry_blossom: :seedling: 5月17日 -21日 :seedling: :cherry_blossom: (Home Post Link)

I honestly kinda lost track of what I was listening to again. I did make sure to do at least a bit every day, but was really trying to focus on making sure I got all my reading and other studying done. I watched a few short videos, some cooking stuff, and then some mio stream bits and pieces, listened to some japanese language music, as well as watched a few anime episodes with subs, but not going to try to untangle them day by day.

Now that I’m settled back into work, it actually ends up being a super good thing for my listening practice! I started back as a delivery driver, so I have a lot of time in the car to listen to stuff.

(Today) Listened:

• YUYUの日本語Podcast ep 1-5 – these are not short episodes lmao, about 20 minutes each. I was hoping to spend all of my driving time today listening, but eventually kinda reached my limit and put on music. Still japanese language music, but much less demanding

If anyone has good intermediate japanese podcast recommendations (on spotify, preferably), I absolutely would love to hear them! I grabbed a few from a tofugu post: 4989, learn japanese with small talk, and this yuyu podcast (I already knew him from youtube, so I picked those for today), but I could definitely use more. I am driving though, so obviously I cannot stop to look up unknown words or even jot down ones to look up later, so trying to stick to stuff that’s at least comprehensible enough to follow the general shape of conversation

9 Likes