🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Spring 2023 🌼 🌱

April 11th!

I had a super busy day at work and ended up working a bit later than I should have, and then I had plans with friends this evening so I didn’t get home until 11:30pm.
But I still managed to squeeze in a tiny listen!
One episode of Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners. It was about people who are not good at speaking.

(Home Post)

15 Likes

4月11日
Went to the cinema with @NicoleIsEnough and watched すずめの戸締まり (Japanese with German subtitles). It was beautiful.
And the Japanese was quite simple. You also had several different dialects in there, which was really cool to see, and I guess that was something the non-Japanese-speaking crowd missed out on :smiley:

18 Likes

4月11日 :cherry_blossom:
:house:

Watched: 傑作と評された青春歌劇ゲーム 『JACKJEANNE (ジャックジャンヌ)』【初見実況:ネタバレ注意】
Today I watched this let’s play of JackJeanne that showed up randomly on my twitter recommended page. I love this game so I really like watching other people’s impressions as they play for the first time. This guy’s reaction when Fumi first showed up was so perfect. :joy: It’s also interesting seeing how much more I understand and how different the pacing of the game feels than when I first played it two years ago.

15 Likes

:hot_pepper: April 11

Tonight I watched WIlly Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) JP Dub. Too much of this movie is musical with English vocals. The subtitles for the songs interest me but I mostly skipped them this time around.

15 Likes

Apr 12, Wed of Week 3 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

歴史 [9-10/90] - 古墳時代. Totally forgotten about Korean, with Kanji as fierce as Japanese.

Also relistened to 聞くだけで一気にわかる日本史 on 縄文・弥生・古墳. Listening only, escaping from Kanji, understood much better than the first run-through, or maybe it’s just memory? Anyway, rephrasing.

Places and names

こころ Ch.21-24.

14 Likes

12/04/2023 :fairy: Home Post Link

Listened to Japanese with Shun today. It was a 10-minute video so bare minimum T_T Might have to slowly increase the duration a little bit. I’m aiming for atleast 30mins of listening a day by the end of this challenge.

The ep was fun, it was about friends this time! I think I’m just a tiny bit relaxed about listening right now? very little and very unnoticable progress, but it’s still something so I’ll take it! I wont say that I can understand everything with one listen - but I can definitely understand a little more than what I did before this challenge.

15 Likes

Home Post :hatching_chick:

I listened to Japanese with Shun episodes 1-3. I didn’t have any problems with them because they covered very basic every day topics.

Later I watched Akane’s Nagoya vlog. When she was at a restaurant there was background music and the other customers were talking over her which made it harder to understand what she was saying.
To be honest, I was a little disappointed because she mostly talked about her hotel and the food that she ate. I like learning about japanese food but I was hoping to learn more about Nagoya and maybe see some cool places there. But I don’t really know her channel well. Maybe her vlogs are always centered around food? Maybe I will watch another vlog sometime to find out.

16 Likes

April 12 :film_strip:

I finished 逃げるは恥だが役に立つ today (a couple of episodes plus the last -and huge- special one). I really liked it, and especially the 2-hour special was really good. I didn’t expect it to touch on so many current issues, even the recently discussed (in the culture thread) obligatory name change was there! Very heartwarming and life-affirming overall.

17 Likes

:cherry_blossom: :seedling: 4月12日 :seedling: :cherry_blossom: (Home Post Link)

Listened:

Word(s) of the Day:
裸足(はだし)ー barefoot

15 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Day 12, 4 月 12 日 :herb:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

:deciduous_tree: Tobira chp. 2
I listened to parts 1 through 3 of the main text. Because the topic (speech styles) is a bit more difficult than the first chapter’s, I have taken it really slowly. And obviously I’m relistening often and also trying to read along. I think without the text I would be even more lost.

15 Likes

April 12th!

Today I watched another episode of Rilakkuma and Kaoru. It was a nice episode about snow :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

15 Likes

:hot_pepper: April 12

Made it through Ghostbusters (JP dub). I kept nodding off unfortunately.

14 Likes
Apr
01 02
03 04 05 06 07 08 09
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
May
01 02 03 04 05 06 07
08 09 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
12 Likes

Been mostly on Netflix these past few days and weeks, as there are a lot of new anime seasonals so it is a great way to practice listening with Japanese subtitles on.

I’ve been following shows like ヴィンランド・サガ and 鬼滅の刃 from before, but I will probably check out something like スキップとローファー and 山田くんとLv999の恋をする as well, as it seams they don’t contain a very difficult dialogue.

Speaking of Netflix, I finally finished watching MIU404 drama the other day. Since it is a police detective drama, it was quite challenging and it took some time to finish everything :sweat_smile:

Also discovered a new YouTube channel that might be interesting called Speak Japanese Naturally.

17 Likes

Apr 13, Thu of Week 3 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

歴史 [11-13/90] - 飛鳥(あすか)時代

Try listening on the audiobook on 飛鳥 too, but feels a little hard. Anyway, repeat and focus more.

Places and names

Japan

China

Korea

• 白村江(はくすきのえ)(たたか)い (はくそんこう~) = Battle of Baekgang - Wikipedia
    • Japan sided with 百済(くだら), but 新羅(しらぎ) sided with China (Tang) won

16 Likes

13/04/2023 :fairy: Home Post Link

listened to 3 episodes of Nihongo Con Teppie, and slightly zoned out on the last one :+1:

16 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Day 13, 4 月 13 日 :herb:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

:deciduous_tree: Tobira chp. 2

Finished listening to the rest of the text. I have to say, I much prefered he female voice to the male ones, as you could clearly hear the quotations, which made it much easier to follow along.

14 Likes

Home Post :hatching_chick:

I had a lot of fun today! I watched another one of Akane’s vlogs (this one was about Gifu) and this time she showed lots of nice places in her video. It was very interesting and I enjoyed it a lot! The way the waiter talks (7:15-8:47) reminds me of a flight attendant reciting the safety instructions on a plane before take-off. :laughing: That’s how it sounds in my native language at least. I’ve never heard japanese safety instructions on a plane before.

After that I watched her video about buying and using Suica cards.

Last but not least I watched a Comprehensible Japanese video about the Tanabata Festival. I noticed pretty quickly that I had already read a text about the legend behind the festival in my Genki book but I kept watching anyway. Already knowing the story definitely helped with understanding. :wink:

16 Likes

April 13th!

Another episode of Rilakkuma and Kaoru today. My husband came in part way through the episode and thought it looked cute so I ended up translating it for him as we were watching, which was really fun :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

15 Likes

:cherry_blossom: :seedling: 4月13日 :seedling: :cherry_blossom: (Home Post Link)

Listened:

• 四月は君の噓 episode 8 (no subs) - it feels a little bit cheaty because I literally just read chapter 13 and 14 that this episode is based on, but emi’s performance is one of my favorites in the series so I had to go re-watch it. :sweat_smile:

Word(s) of the Day:
recognized lots of words from my last 2 entries in the read everyday challenge, but not a lot of added dialogue from the manga

16 Likes