🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Fall 2022 🍁

October 17 :film_strip:

Today I watched all five videos from the みちしる playlist by NHK on youtube. They’re interesting little videos on Japanese traditions and landmarks: The Nebuta festival, the Ise Grand Shrine, a village with 30,000 cherry trees, Mount Fuji, and the tradition Namahage, where villagers dress up as demons to frighten children on New Year’s Eve. Cool stuff. Apparently there’s way more such videos on the NHK website. I’ll investigate another day.

Meanwhile, Migaku pitch trainer feels like I’m banging my head against a wall now that I’m trying to make out the pitch in whole phrases. Will it be the wall or my head that cracks first? The latter, most probably. :sob:

14 Likes

@lucylavelle Could you elaborate please, sounds interesting.

4 Likes

Managed to listen to my TRY N5 listening comprehension on both days.
Everything was re-listening which has it’s pro’s and con’s.

10 Likes

Sure :slight_smile:
It’s this series: The 800 Core Words and Phrases - JapanesePod101

You need an account to view the videos, and I think a free account only lets you watch the first 3. But I’ve found it a really nice series for vocab building, and a bit of listening practise when I can’t watch something that needs my full attention.

10 Likes

Oct 17, Mon of Week 4 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

Today, I listened to 2 episodes of Nihongo SWiTCH.

I might consider re-listening, in particular, the first one. After all, a purpose of attending a lecture is to be able to do well in exam, that is, do I remember most essential stuff?

The time I listened was when today I went to a small fitness center by my own. No trainer, that means I controlled my time. So, I trained long enough to finish two episodes. (There are some time segments I didn’t put headphone on as well.) In any case, I want to eventually exercise regularly, without hiring a trainer, nor needing a fully-equipped facility.

I also watched HUNTER x HUNTER (generated sub) now to Ep.71, when a post watching-club arc has ended (up to Ep.70), yet I have seen only 心臓麻痺. Though, I think I saw 心臓の死 in my childhood memories.

Yeah, in my mind, I am somewhat rushed to finish the series (Ep.92), and continue reading the manga. Probably as far as I somewhat knew the storyline (but like, on a level of passing by).

11 Likes

October 17th.

Today I listened to Episode 70 of Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners, and also two more 800 Core Words video’s from JapanesePod101.
I listened to a little bit of Japanese music during a car journey too.

I’m hoping to squeeze in watching some anime later today too, but I’m not sure if I’ll have time yet!

(Home Post)

12 Likes

October 17.

I initially wanted to practice with SuperNative but the site isn’t working today… So I tried Comprehensible Japanese for the first time. Not what I wanted but ok. I found it very helpful that there are transcriptions for some videos so I can try to speak along with the teacher. My main goal is to speak after all.

12 Likes

I got it added to my Direct TV subscription in the U.S. It cost $25 a month extra, but is well worth the money.

5 Likes

Main post

On October the 17th I’ve listened to:

• Today’s NHK Easy News.
  • Nihongo Con Teppei for beginners episodes 643-645.
12 Likes

Couldn’t get files on my local network to stream to my phone today for some reason, pretty annoying. So rather than continue watching Silent I watched an episode of some random show on viki (it wasn’t good) and dabbled in a few other things.

12 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :headphones: softlyraining’s leaf pile listens :maple_leaf: :studio_microphone:

October 17th:

Bogged down with homework today (this week’s assignment is kind of overwhelming :smiling_face_with_tear:), so I stuck with my usual Satori Reader as my listening practice. It was another two-parter, though the second part wasn’t all that long.

12 Likes

Snuck in Sakura Tips podcast episode 23 “お酒の失敗談 What I messed up with Alcohol” at the end of the day today. Got the general idea, I guess.

Still struggling with starting my listening practice. Its always the last thing I want to do so I find myself half asleep, trying to just get it done before I zonk out.

11 Likes

October 18 :film_strip:

I wasn’t in the mood for anything today. Not youtube, not supernative, no audiobook, nothing. I’ve been watching the Haunting of HIll House these days (because October), so in the end I just decided to watch the next episode in Japanese dub (and subtitles, because obviously I need to follow what’s going on or I’d need to rewatch it).

It was a fun experience, I must say. It’s supposed to be super spooky, but maybe because of the disconnect the Japanese dub introduced, I mostly found it funny this time. But that’s not the interesting part. The interesting part is that, with English subtitles on, instead of ignoring the Japanese audio, I found that I actually understood most of it. Using the English text as a guide, my brain knew what to look out for, and could actually distinguish all of the words - when they usually just run into each other and blend into a continuous incomprehensible series of syllables. I could even pinpoint the words I didn’t know most of the time, because I recognized the ones surrounding them. It was a revelation.

So I’m thinking I’m going to start watching with English subtitles on from now on, if not all the time, definitely sometimes. If it helps me focus, it can’t be a bad thing. Maybe I do need that crutch for a little while longer and I shouldn’t have been trying so hard to run without it.

12 Likes

Oct 18, Tue of Week 4 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

Today, I listened to 1 episode of Nihongo SWiTCH.

After that I felt a little tired. (Actually, tired before listening to SWiTCH), so I listened to a world news podcast. Of course, with less comprehesion goals, but I would try to understand in any case. Many vocabularies are reviewed at once, and I know I can do better as I continued to learn more vocabularies.

HUNTER x HUNTER is continued by (at least) 1 episode daily, as usual.

9 Likes

Some sites, like Viki, will let you use dual subtitles (although their transcription of Japanese and their English translations can be a bit sus at times, since it’s all community sourced). I want to say the Language Reactor extension also allows for dual subs on Netflix? I never really got into using it, but I think that was its main selling point along with a hover dictionary.
Maybe you’ll find it too distracting but I know a lot of people find it helpful to have both.

6 Likes

Quite busy at work yesterday so just did a TRY N5 recap.
Did the first of the 800 words Japanese podcat 101 thingy that @lucylavelle kindly linked.

13 Likes

October 18th!

Today I watched an episode of Madoka Magika with Japanese subs.
I had to rely on reading the subs a lot, but its encouraging to understand some of the shorter sentences without needing to read along.

I also listened to an episode of JapanesePod 101s 800 Core Words series while I was writing my diary this evening.

(Home Post)

13 Likes

Main post

On October the 18th I’ve listened to:

• Today’s NHK Easy News.
  • Nihongo Con Teppei for beginners episodes 646-649.
12 Likes

I had 2 hours of conversation practice (one small 5 min break) so I’m gonna call that my listening practice for the day although I might sneak in a podcast or something while making dinner. I’m posting now though as I wanted to make sure to post this for @omk3 (hope you’re not tired of me tossing things your way!) and anyone else that’s interested:

Not until January (why?! why not the spookiest month?!) but it’s a Netflix original I think so should be available globally when it comes out

14 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :headphones: softlyraining’s leaf pile listens :maple_leaf: :studio_microphone:

October 18th:

Finished the first cult video! It’s interesting that, of all her siblings, she was the one who continued participating. Her father didn’t join in, and she mentions that he guarded the youngest of them. I do wonder why he didn’t try and get her (or his wife) out? Maybe she mentioned it and I just missed it? :thinking: It’s possible her mother was stubborn; there are very few things I could potentially get my mother to change her mind on, so I can see that being the case here. It was sad hearing about how she had no friends in middle school, but that’s not really surprising; I know from past material about JWs that you aren’t really encouraged to be friends with people outside of the religion (unless you’re trying to convert them, that is).

@pocketcat @omk3 and anyone else interested––Netflix posted a video about the Junji Ito series:

12 Likes