Lifetime appreciation post

Hello :smiley:

I recently hit the wall of the dreaded lvl 3 :0 meaning I had gotten to the point where the subscription was no longer avoidable. I had decided that this site’s mnemonics had helped enough that it was worth getting life-time, so I thought I’d make a post just exclaiming my joy at becoming a lifetime member of WaniKani

Love you all :slight_smile: have a good one
-Light

P.S. While I do think the formatting is nice for these forums is there a way to stop it for certain characters? Similar to how Discord lets you add a backslash before any character that would modify the text to make it just that character. E.G. \*hello\* → *hello* (while making this example I stumbled on how it appears to work the same here but it just refuses to work for emoticons I prefer : ) (but together) to :slightly_smiling_face:)

17 Likes

Well, you can surround it with backquote marks (on my keyboard, that’s the one on the tilde key) to force it to reproduce exactly what you typed, but that also gives it a slightly coloured background. `Like this` = Like this.

4 Likes

Oh okay thank you :) it’s just like a Discord code block I can’t believe I didn’t think of that (/_<)

1 Like

Assuming you buy lifetime at 299 USD, it would pay off after around 3 years and 4 months. Next month (May 2022) will be my 6th anniversary on WK, so I have paid around 4.15 USD per month so far.

8 Likes

Yep, that’s what I calculated too. Putting in a monetary investment onto something makes me so much more likely to stick around and actually complete it so I have a good amount of faith in myself when it comes to this :D

7 Likes

Congrats! Lifetime subscription is great. I’m on my second time around and its definitely been worth it.

8 Likes

Thank you :)

By “second time around” do you mean you finished it and reset, and are doing it again?

6 Likes

Yes! It has helped me reinforce the kanji very well, alongside reading native material.

7 Likes

The first time you reached level 60, you were @aafunian. Now you’re @afunian. Then the time after that, you will be @funian.

8 Likes

That sounds about right, @̶p̶l̶a̶n̶t̶r̶o̶n̶ @plantron! :wink:

6 Likes

I do this:

:<henlo>D → :D

Angle brackets make stuff invisible in general. Hidden invisible text:

Hint: hidden text can be read if you click this button (will get you the full quote of the post)

4 Likes

Welcome to the club! It definitely pays off in the long run.

6 Likes

It’s also profitable for WK because if they did not have lifetime subscription, I would not have joined at all.

8 Likes

I think this is probably true for me too.

7 Likes

You can use ~~@plantron~~ to type @plantron

4 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Yeah I wouldn’t have bought a subscription without a lifetime option. I like the idea of being able to study even when I am laid off when a renewal hits. Plus being able to proceed at my own pace.

Focus on kanji for awhile, then vocabulary, then grammar and try to keep things balanced overall. Even with my limited amount of study time.

6 Likes

He’ll always just be 金玉 to me.

6 Likes

Woah that works even better :)… and now I’m tempted to make a WaniKani ARG XD

I accidentally found this out on my own trying to include a smiley within it xp.
Almost missed this hidden text only decided to look cause I was curious how you made those line breaks XD

1 Like

Thank you :D that’s what my calculations led me to believe and I hope to enjoy leaning this wonderful language for years to come :)

Thanks, WK didn’t think of this:

I can understand this I’m not sure if I would’ve bit the bullet for a subscription service, I like owning my stuff (or at least until the server gives out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

I am now practically certain WK uses the same markup language as Discord (along with support for html tags).

This too :)

2 Likes