Level up regret

When did you stop doing all the lessons at once?

Pretty early, but it worked for the first 2 or so levels.

Never regret progress, regret, NOT progressing!.

The reorder script can help you keep a pace going BUT you’ve got to commit to a set amount of lessons per day that include the Vocabulary or you’re going just hurt yourself. My leveling routine:
All the radicals on day one, and do nothing but reviews for the remainder. (goal is to clear up some apprentice items.
Day two, I do at least 15 lessons, of which 10 are vocab from last level (if I have that many) and 5 are the mix of vocab and kanji
Day three and on, is 15 lessons, Vocab from last level first, 5 new Kanji then 5 mixed. I do this until i’m out of old vocab then its all mixed from that point

I also keep 150ish apprentice items at any one time so if I go below that I get a bit of a break

2 Likes

Use the reorder script to a limited extent. Do all of your radicals first, then over the next four days space out Vocab and Kanji lessons without the reorder script. You then have the four days after that to learn the INC Kanji following your now Guru’d radicals. Do those immediately, then return to spacing out the vocab.

Or just do what I do and blitz 120 lessons failing everything over and over again, spiking up and down in motivation more than a hormonal teenager going through highscool.

On second thought, don’t do that.

Also if you do use the reorder script don’t be one of those guys who’s like “hurrdurr I have 600 vocab lessons to do lmao only kanji and radicals matter bro” cause you’re just shooting yourself from the foot to the lower thigh. And you’re the one paying for the bullets.

2 Likes

Got a link to this reorder script?

I don’t use it myself so I’m not sure if this is the most up-to-date with all the bells and whistles but it looks like the one.

If I’m wrong someone correct please.

Anyone have anything more than “this works for me” to justify that learning with a reorder script is more effective than the standard selection process in WK?

@Kyuui13 do you keep your vocab pretty stable, or is it growing bigger each day because you’re doing 2:1 vocab:kanji ratio?

For maybe the first 20-25 levels I used to do all the new lessons as soon as I hit a new level - but I’d get swamped by reviews, because they all come at once. Now I do typically 20-25 lessons a day. I use the re-order script, doing radicals first, and all the kanji within the first two days. I look at the total vocab lessons for the level, and spread those out throughout the rest of the level.

I usually do my lessons 5-10 at a time, 3 times a day (morning, lunch and night). I also do reviews 3-4 times a days. It definitely helps spread out the reviews so you’re not swamped with 300 reviews at a time.

It’s factually more effective in terms of the time taken to process all radicals, and then incredibly useful for spacing out the 30 new kanji you’ll have to learn in addition to the radicals. You can intentionally select 7 kanji to learn each day. To do the same with the standard 60 - 100 lessons upon level up, you’d need to get through at least 90% of your lessons in a single day, or split them over the next 4 days potentially delaying your radical progress, subsequently delaying your kanji process ultimately resulting in a delayed level.

It’s better for your memory as you’re spacing items out instead of trying to remember 120 things at once, so you will at the very least noticeably remember the kanji better.

The truth is you’ll forget it no matter what you do, but fuck it that’s part of the process.

I just know I’d cheat to all hell and never get my vocab done lmao.

1 Like

I use that exact script. I wouldn’t say its “more effective” in as much as its “more organized” My apprentice pile is fairly stable. Once I get the old vocab cleared out its rock solid, the " mixed generally will give me a 3/2 2/3 per five lessons (vocab/Kanji) so I will make sure over ten lessons I get at least 5 of each and the last 5 i just take what I get. I’m lucky that I’m retired so I can review whenever, I have 2 “times” I will review and during the day I generally do them when I can. so my review count doesn’t get crazy, the most I get in the mornings are around 100

2 Likes

More organised is a good way to put it.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to belittle your experience, I’m just wondering if there’s a reason that WK has chosen not to do this natively since it would be a rather easy thing for them to implement.

No offence taken at all. If you’re looking for reasoning then as with any company, look no further than the bottomline.

I’d like to know why I’ve only recently done 次 as a radical when it’s been at least 6 months since I learned the Kanji 次.

Ensuring that people are subscribed for as long as possible, and paying people’s wage for less hours is in a company’s best interests. Not that I disagree with it, just an observation.

It’s an interesting thing, I tutored for 10 years and always found it interesting that if I failed, I was actually rewarded (if the student had to retake a class, I get more business), but I never found that to be a big motivation for me. Naturally groups/companies are different with individual voices harder to hear in the crowd, but I’d like to believe WK is out there both to make money and in our best interests.

I don’t think there is any direct impact in learning. It’s just an effective way to level up faster, and also a very good tool to manage the SRS workload in the long term. Having a more stable daily review workload might help avoiding mental fatigue, lack of motivation, etc.

That said, the reorder script could have a negative impact depending on how it’s used on reviews.

2 Likes

I’ve not studied psychology/sociology/whathaveyou, but I would tend to think that teachers are not typically the types to be angling to maximizing their profits. Your own experience and feelings towards this as a tutor shows it. Based on my experience with the WaniKani authors and their other projects/products I would tend to think of them as teachers and not out for your bottom dollar. If they are not teachers per say, I would think of them as perpetual students who want to share what they have learned.

As to why WaniKani doesn’t have a reorder script inherently to it, I could suggest a couple of possibilities.
First, it’s possible, they just simply haven’t had the time or thought it important enough to implement. They do work on several projects, and while WakiKani is well maintained, I don’t know that they put much into improving it at this time. I think Koichi in particular has been more focused on bringing new ideas to other aspects of Japanese learning.
Second, it’s also possible, they view it as not best for everyone, and not totally necessary. While you could continually try to make it perfect you would probably never get there. It’s often thought that different people learn differently. While it seems most agree that SRS is great, there is some contention on the exact method is the best. And I get the impression that WaniKani group is part of the “it’s good enough, doesn’t need to be perfect, our time may be better spent working on something else” mindet. They’ve done a great job of opening it up to let users create their own scripts that might help themselves or others out.

I’ve heard many people say they love the re-order script, but I’ve never tried it. I thought about it a few times, but I like the randomness without it also. There are a couple of re-ordering things I would like to do. I would like to do lessons from previous levels before lessons from the current level, and I’d like to make sure my Kanji aren’t too bunched at the end of a level (causing several days of waiting with no lessons for a level up as the last few kanji needed make it to Guru). When I do a set of new lessons, and I don’t like the mix, I just hit back in the browser and reload and see if I get a mix I like.

Something else I learned from Koichi is the importance of seeing things in new or different ways. For me having the radicals, kanji and vocab all mixed up is good. It helps your mind not get to set in one way. Also I found I remember the Kanji and vocab a lot easier if I see them somewhere else while I’m learning them (on a sign, in an article, in a different learning tool). To that point, one of the scripts I use puts the reviews and lessons in a random Japanese font. It gave me a little trouble at first, but I think it’s helped me to see how the Kanji can change in different fonts, and help me recognize them in other settings. It’s another one that may be worth your time.
https://community.wanikani.com/t/Jitai-%E5%AD%97%E4%BD%93-The-font-randomizer-that-fits?source_topic_id=17456

Sorry I may have ran on and gone off topic…

3 Likes

This is kind of what I’m worried about as far as going with the ordering. I think that this has both made it difficult, and not let me get comfortable expecting vocab next to vocab or kanji next to kanji or any one particular piece all at once. I’m not sure though, it might just be that I think it helps, but it really doesn’t.

I’ll just second what the people above said about the re-ordering - it takes the surprise element away and I love surprises! Though it may be inefficient, the pleasure this ‘chaos’ gives me makes me stick to it long-term, which is the only effective way of learning.

Regarding you question, OP, do you all the lessons at once?! :open_mouth: My usual pace is 10 lessons in the morning and another 10 in the evening, or just 10 overall if it’s a busy day. So it’s like Reviews->10 Lessons->Day Stuff->Reviews->10 Lessons.

Yah, I’ve been doing them all at once. It feels really rough at first when you’re barely passing any, but I still manage to finish each level ~10 days per level (but I’m only level 5 :slight_smile:)

EDIT: I kind of thought the leveling system was designed to make you learn the optimal number of items at once (do all lessons and reviews as soon as you can when they’re available kind of thing), but this theory may be debunked from what I’m reading here…

I’ve always found that writing stuff down as Wanikani introduces them really helps. Otherwise, I blaze through the lessons too fast and end up remembering very little. Just quickly copying down the item, meaning, and part of speech/reading if applicable. I generally do all my lessons in a single sitting too, and I figure I remember about 60-75% on the first review each time.

3 Likes