I don't want to level up!

OK, this has probably already been covered a gazillion times, but I can’t see anything specific.

I was doing great until I hit Level 7. I did my reviews every day, I spaced out my lessons into blocks of 10 (or more if they were jukugo vocab). I have real issues with ‘failure’ so I tried to keep up with it all as best I could and not take breaks. (Yesterday was the first day I did nothing in 70 days)

And then Level 7 came. I’m still doing OK, but I’m at 81% correct kanji and the remaining few are in my reviews. And I have 50+ lessons to do. So here’s my question:

Should I forgo the 170+ reviews until I’ve completed all my lessons, so that I start Level 8 with a clean slate? Or should I do the reviews, level up and just accept that I’m gonna have to take things slower?

(Also if anyone knows how to skip the kanji reviews - short of getting them wrong on purpose - that would also help)

3 Likes

@ZengoTim

4 Likes

This. Lessons will only increase your workload. You should do your reviews, and once things have calmed down, slowly add more lessons. Search for the sweet spot that makes you feel comfortable.

Imo, ideally you shouldn’t care about leveling as much. Just focus on reviewing and learning new items. Occasionally the number of new items will rise due to you leveling up.

Do you use any form of reorder script? If you do and have been focusing on kanji, stop doing that and get back on track with vocab lessons and reviews.

4 Likes

But that’s the problem here. They do not want to level up, but reviewing will bring them to the next level in their current state.

That being said, to answer OP’s question, you should level up. Lessons are ordered so that you will first finish the previous level before getting level 8 lessons. So, in practice, even though the number on your dashboard will be higher, you will still be doing level 7 stuff. No worries!

6 Likes

Yeah you’re probably right. It’s been a long time since I’ve tried to learn anything, I’ve forgotten how frustrating it is to get things piling up. :sweat_smile: So far I’ve been really good at keeping my lessons/reviews at 0. Guess that was always going to be impossible long-term!

And as @Naphthalene said, I won’t get to the Level 8 stuff until I’ve done all the Level 7 lessons. I’d forgotten that part.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.