Level-based reading practice

Hey Wankani people!

Does anyone know of reading extracts based on the different wanikani levels? If not, it’d be great if Wanikani could finish off each level with a reading extract that uses new kanji/vocab, plus reuses old kanji/vocab from lower levels. A lot of work I know, but it would be great to read and understand stories, etc, based on your current level…

11 Likes

What arjoykanji said is pretty much what you asked for, however, you could also find useful other resources such as:

• Satori Reader (You can import your WK progress to toggle furigana on and off).
  • The Kanji Learner’s Course Graded Reading Sets (Gives a lot of example “sentences” starting with simple kanji and then building difficulty as you progress, I think it’s really good tbh and the first volume is free!)

These resources are not wanikani level based but you might as well try them out. Also the WK Guide kinda hints on what you “should” be reading on certain levels.

2 Likes

Unless it has changed, doesn’t Duendecat use the Tatoeba sentences? That basically makes it something I would not consider using.

1 Like

Why is that?

1 Like

The Tatoeba database has no filters to make sure the content is natural Japanese or even grammatically correct.

5 Likes

Thank you for the explanation.

1 Like

I would recommend Japanese Graded Readers by Rabbit Press. No, not by WaniKani levels, but by your Grammar level, JLPT-wise.

WaniKani level-wise, I would take recommendation from WaniKani Guide.

If you want to read one separate sentence out of context, Kanji not exceeding your WaniKani level, probably

15 Likes

Hi BK-201 and battyleedsfan,

I know that there was mention above (by BK-201) of a solution to the level-based reading conversation by a person with the username of arjoykanji, but that person (and this associated post) is no longer shown on this thread. (For that matter, none of their posts are showing).

Given that, do you happen to remember what the solution was that they offered. I’m most interested in the exact thing that battyleedsfan asked about.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t really remember arjoykanji’s original answer… but regarding level-based reading I stick with my original answer about Satori Reader and the KLC’s Graded Readers, maybe Tangoristo also. You could even use Tenjin Reader or something similar if you wanna try studying your own reading material.

You don’t need to find a Wanikani based resource, just stick with it and eventually reading will become more comfortable and rewarding.

It’s been a long time though, so I wouldn’t know if a Wanikani based reading resource actually exists today.

Sorry if I can’t be of help, good luck.

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t really remember arjoykanji’s original answer… but regarding level-based reading I stick with my original answer about Satori Reader and the KLC’s Graded Readers, maybe Tangoristo also. You could even use Tenjin Reader or something similar if you wanna try studying your own reading material.

You don’t need to find a Wanikani based resource, just stick with it and eventually reading will become more comfortable and rewarding.

It’s been a long time though, so I wouldn’t know if a Wanikani based reading resource actually exists today.

Sorry if I can’t be of help, good luck.

@BK-201
Thanks so much for replying, and for your kind assistance and advice. I really appreciate it!

1 Like

Why are you linking to people’s profiles? If you want to tag people you have to use the @ symbol. Like @anon6901955.

1 Like

OK,@seanblue, thanks, I’m fairly new to this.

1 Like

There was a deleted post in this thread…

It probably linked to http://www.duendecat.com/ based on Leebo’s post:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.