Level 60 Rant (and Future Plans)

I just reached level 60 this morning, after exactly 650 days. In this post I will reflect a little bit on the journey, and talk about my future plans. I do not really have anyone to discuss my Japanese-learning with, so there is a lot of text incoming. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

I have never been so consistent with anything else in my life as practicing Japanese, specifically using WaniKani. Since I started August 5th 2019, I have used WaniKani every single day. Since early 2020, I have been doing my reviews (120-220) each morning on the bed while drinking my coffee, then I do 10-20 lessons and do the reviews once more in the evening. Now I also do BunPro, Japanese classes, private talking classes, some reading and writing almost every day. I have been using no more than 14 days at each level (about 11 days in average, so not lightning fast, but very consistent). I usually go “all in” when I decide to learn something new, but I have never developed such a strong habit of doing stuff at the same time of day. Therefore, the consistency I have been having is an achievement in itself!
The only script I have been using much is double-check. I have allowed myself for some slack on English spelling accuracy, given that my mother’s tongue is Norwegian. Actually, level 40-60 have been pretty challenging on the English part, I have learned (and not yet learned) a lot of new English words. The past few months I have been using some leech-squashing script as well, and I think I will use them a lot in the next couple of months. I only really started to get some serious leeches at the late level 40’s.

WaniKani has truly been an excellent way of learning, and I am surprised by my own Japanese reading abilities. When I decided to start learning Japanese, it was a rather spontaneous decision. I realized I wanted to learn a new language, spent two weeks wondering on which one, then ended up with Japanese. Since I obviously knew it was going to be a tedious task, I (very luckily) spent some time on how to efficiently learn. I stumbled over SRS and Tofugos Kana guide, and one week later I started with WaniKani. It gave me a big jump start into a jungle of new symbols. Without WaniKani I would not know where to start, and I honestly think I would not be still learning Japanese. All though there is still very much work to do to become proficient at Japanese, the Kanji-jump start has been irreplaceable. I often come across very well spoken Japanese students who struggle to read more than a couple hundred kanji, and I have on a several occasions recognized kanjis that Japanese natives did not. It really feel good to be learning so much and being so productive.

So since there is still a way to go, here is a little bit on my future plans. I obviously still have some time on WaniKani left, and I still want to learn more vocabulary and kanji (at least all of the Joyou kanjis and the 2200-2500 most frequent ones). I am currently using HouHou (SRS) for that, which is great! BunPro is an almost equally important application as WaniKani. I am almost finished with the N5 and N4 grammar, so there is obviously much left there too. I am going to put a lot more time into reading. I started in a beginner bookclub here on WaniKani, and despite the community being absolutely fantastic, I gave up because it was too difficult. My point of focus the last couple of months have been actually speaking and holding a conversation. About two months ago I could almost not say anything, but I began with online private classes and seminars with fellow students, and now I can actually communicate a bit. I also started writing a dairy, and I am honestly surprised of how much I can express in Japanese (although the motivation vanishes fast if I listen to a real Japanese conversations haha). I have been attending Japanese classes “101” and “102” at my university (University of Oslo), and will hopefully do the two next semester the next year. Lastly, I hope to be spending more time in this community, because you guys are amazing and I have not really been hanging out here a lot.
Finally, my plans on actually going to Japan. I was originally planning to go this autumn, but will probably go autumn 2022 instead. I am finishing a bachelor in Mathematics with Computer Science in June, and starting on a masters in Data Science this autumn. I am applying to MEXT for a graduate scholarship. If I get it, I will do a two year masters in Japan. However, I did not get it last year. If I not get it, I will try to make a deal with Tokyo Data Science (a small institute of graduate studies) to be an exchange student for one semester at my master’s degree, and then probably come back after my finishing my masters and doing courses there for an additional year. In other words, my main goal in life is a career in math, computer science and research, but I hope to combine it with Japan. My studies have been going really well and I am starting an internship at Simula (research on computational science and AI) this summer, which I really look forward to.

Well, that was it, I am finally level 60 after all this time. Tomorrow is my countries national day, so I am really looking forward to celebrating, even though I got 5 exams this semester. Hope to see you guys around! Thanks!

84 Likes

Firstly, congratulations. :slight_smile:
I can related with you on this english part, I still stumble on “thwart”, wtf is that. :sweat_smile:

Have you hear of asao? A few members here are on it and the feedback they give are mostly excellent.
I myself plan to use their services once I have more time.

https://community.wanikani.com/t/improve-your-conversational-skills-with-asao-language-school/50599/1

5 Likes

Congratulations! Getting to level 60 is a great accomplishment. Good luck with your future career goals as well.

2 Likes

Congrats and welcome to the club. :smiley::tada:

As you’ve found out, the end of Wanikani is really the beginning of your Japanese journey. Take some time to celebrate and then it’s on to the next step.

8 Likes

Thanks! And thank you for the share, that looks like an absolute bargain, I will definitely try it!

1 Like

That’s very nice!
It’s interesting to see how the Wanikani community is very diverse as I am in the process of hopefully getting a high school diploma (baccalauréat) in french literature. My plan is to go to Japan through the JET Programme (Japan Exchange Teaching).

3 Likes

Congratulations, laudations, felicitations, and all other celebratory -ations!

Well done. :birthday:

5 Likes

Thats interesting, good luck! I remember having 5 years of french in middle school and high school. However, since I did not want to learn a new language at the time, I learned almost nothing. Looking back at it now, it seems like such a waste, I would love to spend time learning more languages. I guess it just was different back then though. Anyway, it is great that you are already almost halfway though WaniKani in high school!

3 Likes

I will celebrate today (mostly because of my countrys national day, but also because of level 60 :slight_smile: ). Here is some pie I made for the celebration today.

First time making pie.

22 Likes

Ooh, Congrats!!! :partying_face: :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’ve become a role model for me because I have the same pace as you (11 days avg, 14 days max, plan to finish under 2 years)! I hope your plans for your studies and for going to Japan will end up well. Congratulations!

3 Likes

Congrats! :smiley: Time to eat your cake now! :cake:
I’ve never heard of HouHou. That looks like an excellent learning tool.

3 Likes

That is a very nice pie!

3 Likes

Congratulations! Math and languages - such a wonderful combination! Best of luck on your MEXT application!

2 Likes

Wow, thanks! That is very nice to hear. I wish you very well in the rest of your WaniKani journey!

2 Likes

Thank you! I really like the combination, but both are very hard :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Congratulations TobyOne Shinobi! :partying_face: :cake:

It looks like you have a bright future ahead of you, good luck on your journey.

1 Like

Wow. Reading it all and realizing that I still have a lot more to do. I have recently started. Can you tell me more about MEXT? Why did you not get in the first time? I was planning to do my masters, as well, in management but that would be impossible without a scholarship.

1 Like

Same here!

Also, good job!! I relate on the consistency part, I was really bad at keeping habits up until the new year when I settled down and decided to work on it. WK has helped a lot with making me realize I’m more than capable of being consistent with something ^^

2 Likes

Yeah! MEXT is the japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sport, Science and Technology, so basically a part of the government that arranges a lot of stuff in said topics. To attract good students to Japan, they have some scholarships. There is at least one for being good at speaking Japanese, they have one for 5-year undergraduate program and one for “research student”, which is the one I am applying for. Research students refers to graduate students and it is either for masters or phd, 1.5 years to 6 years depending on many things. The scholarship is open for applying everywhere Japan has a diplomatic connection to, which is basically everywhere they got an embassy. Each individual nations embassy arranges much of the application themselves, so you should google your Japanese embassy and read what they have to said about it (dates and amount of people given the scholarship vary). However, here is some general information about the scholarship. It is hard to get, good undergraduat university grades are necessary, but not sufficient. The application process is very tedious, the first application should be in 10th of Jun (for me in Norway) and the possible start date is in october 2022, so almost 1.5 years later. You have to do a comprehensive health check (inculding lung x-ray, which take time to get appointed to and might be expensive), every document should be signed by hand and delivered as an original (no digital documents), and so on. There are 3 rounds of interview and screening and if you get past the first one (which makes you a very desirable potential student for the embassy), you still have to get a personal deal with a professor at a Japanese university in the 2nd round. The 3rd is a decision by MEXT globally. There are also specific English and Japanese test.

In Norway, up to 1 person get it each year (0 if no one is sufficiently qualified). Last year, the granted student was doing a phd in Japanese culture, so he was both ahead with the Japanese and with his research career, and had a much better reason of specifically needing to study in Japan. Wanting to learn the Japanese language and Japanese culture is obviously required, though you do not need to already be proficient in either. However, last year I did not dare to speak any Japanese on the interview, which I definitely will try this year. They said that my application was good on many aspects (which I assume is the grades and will to study and learn, interest for Japan etc), but I did not have a very good reason to have to do it in Japan and it that they wanted to see me write or talk more in Japanese.

In general, there are many other scholarships, I am lucky to be potentially covered by my government in Norway. You can contact universities specifically and ask, but I have to warn you that many of the universities are quite rude in their responses (judged on my experience with them).

3 Likes