Level 6 struggles

OK, maybe the title of this thread is a little misleading. I’m not ‘struggling’ I’m just concerned that I’m a day behind my level average on level six; is this normal?

I have a lot of kanji on Apprentice 4, so I’ll level up tomorrow. I’m just wondering whether I should be worried about this extra level time; what do you guys think?

1 Like

Take your time, it’s not a sprint.

8 Likes

11 Likes

OK, so am I to believe that this stress was slightly unwarranted?

5 Likes

Don’t worry, you’re not alone :sweat_smile:

I also got a big surprise by how long it took me to complete level 5 compared to level 2 :rofl:
Now I’m averaging 16 days to level up, so compared to me you’re faaaast

P.S: we do not speak of level 4. Ever.

3 Likes

yeah don’t stress it. learning doesn’t adhere to a strict schedule. Just take a look at the other forum member’s level-up graphs, majority of them are all over the place.

3 Likes

Short answer: no
Long answer: are you looking at a level time average that includes levels 1 and 2? Those are shortened levels and will bring down any average to a time that is impossible for standard levels.

1 Like

don’t worry, just take your time, every one struggles some times

1 Like

A day behind is nothing compared to years of study, don’t worry about it :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Oho, somehow I’m not looking forward to that ^^".

To the OP - I think it’s sometimes better to struggle and learn better than to plow through. If you’re struggling with a specific vocab word or kanji, it might be worth writing a couple of words with it and practicing it more.

I usually supplement my WaniKani adventures with a grammar book and weekly or half-weekly revisions :).

1 Like

Yeah, my average is 8 days per level and this is my eighth day on this level which means I’ll level up on the ninth.

Ignoring the massive black bar (that’s when I stopped when I realised I couldn’t afford WK until the xmas sale), it would appear my average is 8, don’t you think?

P.S. @Brave-foot level four is looking pretty good now, don’t you think?

2 Likes

i’m pretty sure that it’s nothing to worry about. from what i’ve seen, even those who power through wanikani in record time still have a few longer levels

Why you’d be worried baffles me.

6 Likes

Taking your time and actually learning the language is what matters.
You shouldn’t worry if you fall below your average level up time, aslong as you’re learning something new everyday or reinforcing what you already know, then it is totally fine!

Some days are gonna be faster, and some days are gonna be slower, depends on how you feel and manage to learn.

(Side note, do not burn yourself out by going too fast. Learning Japanese is supposed to be a fun journey so never push yourself too far)

As long as it doesn’t look like this:
grafik
don’t worry.

As some other people in the thread already said, if you go too fast you have a very high chance of burning yourself out. As long as that’s not happening it doesn’t matter if your level took you a day more than usual, or a week more than usual. As long as you’re actually making any progress, any speed is fine.

3 Likes

I was kind of flying through things at first, but it only gets harder as you continue, so you’re bound to take it at a slower pace. Heck, I’ve been on level 9 for like a month. We’re gettin there though. That’s what matters.

If it takes you a few more days on a level, that’s no big deal. The only thing you ever need to worry about is if you let something stop you from studying entirely.

Screenshot 2021-01-25 230157

That said, if you ever find yourself caught up on some kanji like I was, getting them wrong over and over, try putting more effort into coming up with stories to remember them.

I’m about 2-3 days behind my usual level up speed for level 7 because

1. This level’s content isn’t sticking as well as usual, probably because I haven’t slept that well the last few days
  2. I slowed down lessons to accommodate how many items are sticking around in my apprentice level because of number 1
  3. I didn’t do reviews as often the last three days, and so number 1 and 2 are having a stronger affect on the timeline

For me, this is no big deal, I’m not bored, I’m still being challenged and learning new things, and it’s not a race, it’s just about how fast I can learn it, and for this level, this is how fast I can learn it.

Yeah, that’s exactly what I do. I usually don’t forget a kanji’s meaning more than once (it’s reading is another story). I suppose seeing as lv6 is a bit longer than the previous ones in terms of kanji learnt that may be what’s slowing me down by the extra day.

They can’t all be below average.

2 Likes