Level 4 story by ChatGPT

I’ve been on level 17, but after 1 year without studying, I forgot everything. So I started anew last month. I’m at level 5, so there are already a bunch of words in level 4 that I could practice if I had the right text.
So I got my list of known words at wkstats and asked ChatGPT to make me a text using only kana and the words i gave it. This is what I got:

ふじ山に住んでいる一人の女の子が、ある日七つのビー玉を拾いました。ビー玉は大きさも形もそれぞれ違い、三つは赤い、二つは青い、一つは黄色い、一つは緑色のものでした。

女の子は、このビー玉を大切にしたくて、上手に丸めたり、広げたりして遊びました。ある時、女の子は三人の友人を家に招き、ビー玉で遊びました。友人たちはビー玉を下げたり、上げたりして遊び、大人も子どもも力いっぱい楽しんでいました。

その後、女の子は九つのビー玉を見つけ、それも友人たちと一緒に遊びました。そして、ある日、女の子は二人の男の子と一緒に、ふじ山と川に行きました。山と川の景色を見ながら、友人たちと笑いながら、とても楽しい時間を過ごしました。

帰り道、女の子は七日後にまた友人たちと遊ぶ約束をしました。そして、その日が来るのを楽しみに、女の子は一つ一つ日を数えました。

I still cannot understand it, but I found it fantastic!

Good luck for all of you who try it too

15 Likes

Welcome back!
And just so you know, the general advice about ChatGPT is to be weary, as it makes mistakes often enough, and will be completely confident in them. The issue is, if you’re not advanced enough, you won’t be able to tell when it’s right or wrong, and may end up getting some bad info stuck with you.

5 Likes

What the hell, this is pretty good.

Didn’t know you could give it word lists.

8 Likes

Loved! Can anyone here find a grammatical mistake or weird construction?

3 Likes

what a time to be alive, and what a neat idea

I’ve been using it to make reading comprehension tests, for example, based on this text, you ask it to make 5 questions to assess comprehension and ask it to answer them afterward, if the prompt is good enough the results are wonderful.

People are right that sometimes it’s a BS machine, but I’m all for using it

For example i’m seeing kanjis beyond level 4, that was a mistake

7 Likes

This is how math problems start. Just gotta change the rest to “what’s the probability that when she pulls 3 marbles out of her pocket, all of them will be red?”.

Though I am wondering what it means with “…形もそれぞれ違い”. Isn’t the point of a marble that it’s a sphere? Therefore it rolls?

And this somewhat feels like when I get told to use some words in an essay, and I just can’t fit in a few of them at all. I’m sure raising and lowering marbles is just a ton of friends for kids and adults alike.

6 Likes

I think it should use は in the first sentence instead of が. Plus, I found it strange to use the adjectival form before the commas. I think I’m rather used to seeing the adverbial form (i.e. 三つは赤く) for continuation. But I guess the latter point is maybe not wrong, just unusual? :thinking:
Didn’t read further than the first paragraph so I cannot comment on the rest.

2 Likes

Maybe it means the shapes inside the marbles?

You get all sorts of designs on them.

Maybe some of them are factory rejects, considering she finds them.

images

The rest, yeah, it doesn’t make sense logically, but honestly not that different to some stuff you could see in Alice in Wonderland.

3 Likes

Thought about that, but I’m sure, even if I say that in Japanese, Japanese people will be quite puzzled by what exactly I mean.

But don’t get me wrong, it’s a lovely story, grammar is a bit simplistic in places, but it’s the sort of story I’d expect to find in a random textbook trying to teach that week’s vocab. It’s cute.

2 Likes

Hmm, when introduced for the first time, が is correct, I thought. は makes it feel like you should know about her already.

I think it makes sense here since the continuation is 〜ものでした. But it does feel kind of weird at first.

One sentence that I didn’t understand logically at first read was ある日、女の子は二人の男の子と一緒に、ふじ山と川に行きました。
Listing places you visit with と (or rather, specifying a place that has both ふじ山 and 川 with と) felt a bit weird to me.

4 Likes

Just reread the Jay Rubin chapter about this and he says old fairytales and such use が because like you said, they need to introduce the characters properly “At Mt. Fuji there lived a girl.”, while modern stories (especially short stories) just dump you into a scene and give you the feeling of knowing it all already, by using は. Thanks for reminding me of this!

That’s what I meant, you can argue that it’s just a qualifier of もの which would be correct in the adjectival form.

Also, we already have 違う in its masu-stem continuation form, so it feels doubly weird to me to break this pattern.

Bottom line: ChatGPT might want to attend a class on creative writing, I guess :rofl:

5 Likes

That’s awesome. Having stories with only vocab we know from Wanikani at each level would be great, especially for beginners, but proof reading them would take too much time.

1 Like

That’s a great idea, thanks I’m going to use it too!
Can you make it write furigana as well? :x

1 Like

I just tried and it looks like it can but furiganas will be in parentheses and not above the kanjis.

You can also specify the level to be used by JLPT levels, for vocabulary and grammar.

Just to clarify, I didn’t checked that the furigana were correct, but some of them were ok.

2 Likes

Wow, I didn’t even need to give it a list!

My prompt: “Write a dialog using only kanjis learned in Wanikani between level 1 to 26”

The answer:

A: こんにちは!元気ですか?
B: はい、元気です!最近、仕事が忙しいですが、頑張っています。
A: そうですか。お仕事は何をされていますか?
B: 私はエンジニアです。コンピューターのプログラムを作っています。
A: それはすごいですね。私は教師です。子どもたちと一緒に勉強しています。
B: それは素晴らしいですね。私も昔、教師になりたかったです。でも、コンピューターのことに興味があって、エンジニアになりました。
A: それはそれで、とてもカッコイイですね。私も、留学して日本語を勉強していたことがあります。
B: すごい!日本語が話せるんですね。私も日本語を勉強しているんですが、まだまだです。
A: いいえ、私もまだまだです。でも、頑張りましょう!

4 Likes

Thank you!
Yes, I know it’s far from perfect, but after finishing a lesson we always want more, and this is some more I thought I could handle. Unfortunately, I couldn’t, but someone with more knowledge could make some use from this idea.

I won’t argue against it being a BS machine, but even though it can be pretty useful. And yes, there are level 32 kanji, but nonetheless it seems to be a fairly easy text.

Great idea, and much simplier than I thought! Maybe in some more advanced level I’ll try it again.

1 Like

What the hell. It knows about WaniKani, too?! :exploding_head:

Nothing’s sacred anymore.

2 Likes

Interesting idea! One could copy the known kanji list into chat and ask bot to produce a story with it, nice

Edit, it even knows wk kanji? :exploding_head:

2 Likes