Level 21 before 2021!

I love this! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Not to get too off-topic here, but these do exist! I’ve seen cosplayers use them. :grin:

As my for my WK level, my brain has not been playing very nice this week for some reason, so it’s been harder to stuff new information in. Guess it happens. Still doing my reviews, so I’ll get there eventually! I’m actually kind of afraid of doing the next 5 lessons (last set of kanji for the level) because I don’t know if I can get a handle on all that vocab before I level up again…

Then again, there’s not really any difference between having the stack of vocab sitting there on this level or next :thinking: guess it’s a psychological thing. I should probably just push through, haha.

2 Likes

I have levelled up! Later than I wanted though :sweat_smile:

I kept forgetting to do reviews and have had to push back my regular schedule by half a day. I was worried that failing to keep up with the weekly cycle would really throw me because I like having a predictable schedule to organise around.

But it’s okay, instead of levelling up on Tuesday evenings, I now level up on Wednesday morning and instead of unlocking the second batch of kanji on Saturday morning, I unlock them on Saturday evening. I think I can stick to this. :muscle:

8 Likes

Congrats again on your level up! I’m impressed that you manage to level up that fast! Do you have previous knowledge of Japanese or kanji?

4 Likes

LOL we were exactly the same! (except opposite) I level up on Saturday morning, and release the second batch of kanji on Tuesday evening.

We both figured out the same way to level up fast and easily, and I’d say, just have a tinge of obsessively organizing reviews…

3 Likes

Thank you so much! I have used this before, how come I didn’t recognize it :sweat_smile: I’ll re-install it asap.

2 Likes

Yeah I think we may have briefly spoken about this before but my mum’s Japanese so I grew up with the language but subsequently lost a lot of that knowledge. I could read ~50 kanji going into WaniKani (I think they’ve all come up now) but my main advantage is that I’ve been familiar with around half of the vocab I’ve encountered so far.

Kanji is still my biggest weak point when consuming Japanese input so it’s my main focus right now. I imagine when I get to the later levels I’ll slow down a bit. Maybe I’ll aim to level up once every two weeks so I still have that predictable schedule I can organise around. :blush:

Haha, did you specifically choose those days because it fitted around your lifestyle? For me, it helps to unlock one of the batches over the weekend - I have more brain space to take in new lessons.

4 Likes

It was an accident because I happened to level up to 3 on a Saturday and I thought that Saturday was a fun day to level up anyway. I learn the new radicals/first batches on the weekend, and then stay up later on tuesday night to work on the second batch of kanji.

It does seem to work with my life style, yes.

3 Likes

Level 14 finally ended thank the lord :sob:

15 seems to be a billion times nicer

10 Likes

Yep, I also seem to be stuck on level 14… can’t wait to get to 15

7 Likes

They really upped the number of lessons on level 14 as @zEUs_Japanese pointed out to me. But I feel as though the Kanji in level 15 are nicer? I don’t know how to explain it, they just stick easier and hopefully you’ll be able to relate when you get that glorious level up. Till then, just take your time :smile: Slow and steady wins the race (although it’s not rly a race but you catch my drift haha)

5 Likes

My productivity tanked after shelter-in-place started. Finally managed to level up one more time!

9 Likes

I hope so :smiley: I am already 18 days on this level and still have 11 kanji that are missing. I feel like my accuracy is really bad for these kanji for any reason

3 Likes

I’m having some trouble filling in the “Speed” portion of the forecast excel sheet. How do I determine my current speed? Thank you!

1 Like

You could use wkstats, it calculates your average speed. wkstats

1 Like

@Sarahseraphim

Do it quickly though, that link will be unusable after September 1st.

https://www.wkstats.com:10001/progress/dashboard

Use this link after September 1st. This is the new one, unfortunately the projection section is still under construction.

I find that the Heat map is also AMAZING!
You’re only level 5, so you really only have three levels to worry about, because level 1 and 2 are “quick” levels. If you load the heat map and count the days to level 3 and to level 4, you will know around how long it takes you to level up on average. (Divide by 2 lol)

This is my guide of a simple schedule to consistently get seven day levels. You could easily make it 8 or 9 day levels. I think once you understand how levels work it will allow you to choose the length you want the levels to be instead of being at the mercy of some system.

3 Likes

Hmmm, have you got the Wanikani app? It’s called Flaming Durtles on the Play store (probably on the iPhone app store too but I’m not 100% on that). You could use it to consolidate your learning to increase your accuracy.

I usually do it the other way 'round, meaning I look into the next level and start to learn a few Kanji in advance just so my brain has an easier time of remembering them. Honestly, I think that’s the only reason why I made it through level 14 :face_with_head_bandage:

3 Likes

I still need to remember to put this into action, it is so so smart. It’s so smart it seems obvious after you say it, but I would never think of it.

Today is Kanji learning day, and trying out bunpro day.

2 Likes

It’s not the Wanikani app, as there is no official app. FD is third party.

Actually it’s not, but there is another third part app called Tsurukame

1 Like

My bad :sweat_smile: I knew it wasn’t the actual app for it but that kinda slipped my mind

2 Likes