Level 21 before 2021!

Only level 11 here, but yes, I feel that it’s getting harder too. In the first levels I was able to keep a good speed and now I feel like I have to slow down a little.

Level 11 has 185 items and level 12 has 187 items. I don’t think there are too many levels with more items than that. Level 15 has only 140 items. Level 17 has 180 items and after that most levels have around 150-160 items. For me at least, the levels with many items feel harder than the levels with fewer items

One level at a time, onwards and upwards! And even though the projections say that I can reach level 35 by New Year, I still keep my goal at level 21. My speed will drop later and that’s OK. The main thing is to keep going and not burn out and reset!

2 Likes

Actually, the level with the highest amount of items is level 5 (194). from lvl 4 to 13 it keeps the amount at around 180 (with the exception of lvl 7), but it starts falling at level 14 to around 150 items (with the exception of lvl 17). And it pretty much keeps that amount until level 54 (average between 14 and 54: ~145.5), so it should get easier and less overwhelming. After level 54 it becomes even less.

2 Likes

The average number of items falls, the complexity rises. There must be a reason why the levels from 11 to 20 are called Painful and the levels from 21 to 30 are called Death! Not going to think too much about Hell yet.

2 Likes

That’s true, I didn’t consider that. I’m guessing that once you cleared two thirds of the levels you’re so used to the pain, that it has become numb, but in the same time you can for the first time see the finish line. So that’s why it’s called paradise. But that also means, that the levels from 30 to 40 are the hardest ones and probably deserve the name hell ^^.

1 Like

Silly question but how do I do a forecast?

Looks like May 15 I posted and was level 3 and was level 1 on April 30. Yesterday 6/14 I became level 7.

My goal is minimum level 20 by year’s end, stretch goal of level 25.

How do I see if I’m on track?

You can obviously calculate it by hand, by using the remaining days of the year and your average level up time, but to save yourself time and to be able to play around with different values visit https://www.wkstats.com/. You have to enter your API Version 1 Key, which you can find here: WaniKani — Log in (bottom of the page). On WK stats go to progress and projections and enter a hypothetical level up speed. You can then see when you will reach which level (by moving the level bar on the left). Also, if you want to have some stats on your dashboard, consider installing [Userscript] Wanikani Heatmap. It’s pretty neat, if you like to keep track of your overall progress.
Edit: Pro Tip - if you log out and in of the community, WK correctly displays your current level. Now you’re still sitiing a lvl 6.

2 Likes

I tried everything you said and got errors every step. :frowning:

1- Still says I’m 6 here so I checked to make sure I’m not crazy, and I’m not, I’m on level 7. EDIT: Oh! It worked!

2- I did a reset so wkstats isn’t working at all, its factoring in all the time I sat and did nothing for months and won’t let me just start fresh from zero.

3- Installed heatmap, looks pretty cool. I’ve done 58,000 reviews over my 2 resets and now. Sigh. I will not get overwhelmed this time~

I’m not even sure I could do it by hand since I don’t know my “true” level up avg time, this go around. It’s a shame I can’t flush that stuff or cut it off at a certain start date. Seems I have no real way to forecast at all.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

1 Like
  1. Y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶l̶e̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶7̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶e̶d̶ Edit: You got a profile picture now, nice!
  2. I have heard that WK stats still takes reset time into account, but that shouldn’t be of any concern when using the hypothetical projection feature. You simply have to know how many days it usually takes you, and when you scroll down even further on WK stats, you’ll find your level duration. Just look at your level progress since the last reset and then you can calculate a rough average. Alternatively, here is your average so far: For lvl 1 to 7 you needed 7,5 days on average (45 days in total - 6 lvls completed).

Another option is going up to the first post and clicking on the link in the PS right before the chart. You can enter your information into the spreadsheet and play with the numbers some to see different results.

1 Like

Got my reviews down to under 200 a day now. A few more days of reviews and I’ll be ready for lessons again. Accuracy was a painful 10-20% for a while there lmao.

8 Likes

You made it back! The low accuracy is fine, that’s what SRS is made for.

1 Like

Zooming down the interstate of level 6. Now on my way to deadly 7 :grimacing:

4 Likes

Level 9 for me! :tada:

I’m starting to see my accuracy drop a bit but I’m hoping that’s just because of how busy work has been lately. Got a three-day weekend coming up so fingers crossed that will reset my focus.

5 Likes

Congrats, both of you!

2 Likes

And level 10 it is! Last of the pleasant series… I realized Marifly that you want all of us to reach Death zone by the end of the year!

4 Likes

Yay! Congrats to you too!

Yes! I’m sending all of you to your death :wink: Hopefully we’ll all meet in Paradise and Reality later in 2021…

I hope to start a thread towards the end of the year called “Level 60 in 2021”. It’s so much more fun to work together towards a goal than to do it on your own!

7 Likes

Level 60 by 2022/1/1 sounds indeed possible if we’re nearing level 25-30 this year. I’m more having this target for my 2nd year anniversary in 4/2022 but then would need few more months to burn it all :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just leveled up to lvl 8!
I’ve been slowing down because work got crazy and suddenly I’ve got 122 lessons to do :scream:

4 Likes

I signed up for Japanese lessons at the university language centre :slight_smile: The course is starting in September, it’s 2,5 hrs/week. The pace will be quite slow, I guess, but at least it’ll get me talking more (right now: no talking and and pronunciation that I’m sure is horrible) and writing and I’ll be able to ask questions about whatever I want. And meet likeminded people. So it’ll be fun, I hope :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yay! Level-up is ways fun! But this

is not so fun. Seeing the 0 lessons / 0 reviews eventually is a great reward though!

Sounds like fun! And getting to know other learners in your area should be fun too! Will you use Genki?