Let's talk 日本語 (beginner +)

My pleasure. :slight_smile:
I’m actually relearning a lot with these corrections. :joy:

2 Likes

Mind if I join?

I’m pretty terrible at constructing sentences that I haven’t previously learnt, so if anything I’ll help everyone else feel better about their abilities!

Let us know if you would like corrections on your sentences.

2 Likes

I’m still very new to Japanese, aside from what I’ve learnt so far on WaniKani I know a very small amount of grammar and some basic vocab. You only get better by attempting to put into practice what you’ve learnt so I’ll post some very basic sentences. Please do correct anything I post.

こんちは。私はアランですもおなかペコペコ。

2 Likes

Seems like fun! I’ll throw something in, some simple self intro stuff and maybe some slightly more difficult stuff?

始めまして、こんにちは!
アダムと言います。イギリス出身です。
2013年日本に引っ越して、その時からずっと京都市に住んでいる。
2017年に日本での学部生として卒業して、今年7月に大学院生としても卒業する。

就活を半年間ぐらいやっていて、漸く2月には内定を受けました。内定を受けたと言っても、配置先も具体的の仕事での役目が決まっていなかったため一体どこで、何をやるかはきちんとわかりませんでした。昨日は配置先の連絡を受けて、京都府庁の国際課で働くことになりました。もう六年間ぐらい京都市に住んでいて、日本での生活には京都市が僕の背景になったから京都で働いて住み続けることができるなんて僕は極めて嬉しいです。

他に日本、特に京都市に住んでいる人はいませんか?

Of course feel free to correct anywhere! I’ve lived in Japan and studied for a long time, but I’ve become weak at particles/some conjugations and correct grammar usages after my formal Japanese classes ended a number of years ago.

1 Like

こんちは。私はアランです。おなかペコペコ。
The も there doesn’t make much sense. What did you want to convey with it?

“I’m Alan, and I’m hungry.”? :thinking:
These sentences aren’t really related, so I think it’s better if you separate them. :slight_smile:

There’s also the が particle, but it seems that you’re going for a casual feel, same with こんちは, so it’s fine. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t find this in the dictionary, and any Google search tells me it’s Chinese?
I also couldn’t really get it out of context, 昨日は配置先の連絡を受けて.
“Yesterday, I got a call from 何々.” :sweat_smile:

Although I got all of it (after looking a lot of kanji up). :stuck_out_tongue:
とても面白い話だよ。 :slight_smile:

Your story is like N2 level (mostly because of kanji). :cold_sweat:

Thank you Kazzeon. Yes I was just trying to use it to link the sentence but I can see how it works better without.

Should おなか really be お腹 then? I see Jisho has the example usage as お腹がぺこぺこです。

Yes, but I figured you didn’t know the kanji, and you sometimes see it like that. :slight_smile:

PS: Also, you don’t use も to link sentences (at least not exactly). :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

こんにちは!わたしもお腹がペコペコです。今買い物に行きます。

大変そうだけど、内定を受けてよかったですね!

3 Likes

はじめまして。アメリイカ人です。ともだちはわたしおTipといいます。
I’m trying to say, my friends call me Tip but can’t get the particles right.

1 Like

It doesn’t seem to crop up in dictionaries for me either, strange!
配置 is as the dictionary states, a work placement, 先 then emphasizes “work placement destination.” A very common word that uses this same format is バイト先, literally “the location for my part time job.” 先 can be used like this to mark something as a place.

1 Like

I figured it was destination, but I wanted to make sure. :slight_smile:
Indeed, バイト先 is common.

1 Like

友達によくTipと呼ばれます。
I think this would be the best way to say it. 呼ばれる is the passive form of 呼ぶ, which in this case means “to be called (a name)” and you’ll hear Japanese people use this inflection a lot when describing what something/someone is called.

2 Likes

アメリカ人 :slight_smile: Probably just a typo.

That can be a little tough.

私は友達に「Tip」と呼ばれる. :smiley:
私は - I
友達に - by my friends
「Tip」と呼ばれる - am called Tip

So, “I’m called Tip by my friends.” or “My friends call me Tip.” :wink:

I think I’m right. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

GREAT THREAD!!

1 Like

こんにちは~皆様。私はリンちゃまーだ。
北米国のミシガン州出身です。兄弟は十二人。
日本語とアニメとボーカロイドが大好きです!

I think that’s right… please tell me if anything is incorrect!

2 Likes

あの…

トイレットはどこですか?

5 Likes

あそこです。でも、今… 使用中だから、ちょっと待ってください。:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hm, by the time I get out my dictionary to translate that kanji, it would’ve already been too late.

Regardless,

何!? でも、トイレットがいるですよ!

2 Likes