:durtle_hello: Let's Durtle the Scenic Route 🐢

I wouldn’t worry all that much, you’ll find your pace eventually. I didn’t have it all figured out until I was lvl 13 or so.

6 Likes

I return again. It’s been 351 days and 23 hours. Only 42 more years to reach the level 60. caw.
Screenshot 2022-06-05 at 0.07.06
See you next year.

要約

Just to note that I have been doing reviews steadily over the year, with no breaks longer than maybe a month.

Big respect to you all who manage to get hundred day streaks and stuff. caw.

9 Likes

A quartz crow spotting! A good omen for a plentiful harvest :smile:

Hello, welcome, and see you later! Impressive durtling

4 Likes

Level 38! Somehow the 30s have felt like they flew by. I keep answering reviews correctly but somehow still feel unfamiliar with all these items. 30s have definitely been where I’m being exposed to lots of new vocabulary I’ve never seen and lots of doubled up/very similar readings and meanings. Example: abnormal has two words with different kanji but the same reading. I have no idea what the difference nuances are, if there are any.

9 Likes

Made it to level 37!

Took just under fourteen days. I miraculously managed to avoid getting covid, though it was still a stressful couple of weeks. But I managed to complete another lesson of MNN, and also completed the spring read every day challenge! I successfully read something in both Spanish and Japanese every single day for two months!

8 Likes

Lucky level 13! :black_cat:

Seems like I take a little over a month to get through the previous level’s vocab.

Since last level I’ve started reading short novels. I’m enjoying both not recognizing kanji while reading, then learning it immediately in my next lesson, and also learning new kanji then seeing it the next time I start reading.

12 Likes

Also got to level 13 just now! Did it in 21 days again.

I was gonna try reading some manga, but I gave in and jumped ahead and bought a visual novel. I was definitely looking up a lot of kanji like crazy, but it was fun! I actually came across some vocab I learned earlier in level 12 like 童話, so that was neat. I’ve also started playing Genshin Impact and half the time I try to switch to the Japanese language setting. What I like about both is that because there is audio, I can look up words more easily, and it’s faster to read, giving me a bit of a break when I don’t want to look up words like crazy.

Anyways… onwards we go :durtle_officer:

8 Likes

Made it to level 38! Took thirteen days this time. I also just finished lesson 33 in Minna no Nihongo, so I’m about two thirds of the way through the beginners series!

It has been another not great past couple of weeks for me, unfortunately :disappointed_relieved:. I’m hoping things will get better from here, though.

One of the things that was unfortunate was that Firefox decided to reset all of my extensions, so I had to reinstall all of my Yomichan dictionaries, and all 32 of my tampermonkey scripts. I was very, very glad that I compiled everything I use in the one year anniversary post I made in my study log. I did find out afterward that there is a way to back up your tampermonkey setup, so I have it backed up now in case this happens again in the future.

On a brighter note, I joined the listen every day challenge! My goal is just to focus on it during the off month between read every day challenges, so the challenge ends for me at the end of June, but once again, I’m trying to listen to something in both Spanish and Japanese every day.

It has been fun! And very useful, I think. But it has been distracting me from my reading and translation work :sweat_smile:.

9 Likes

Congratz on level 38!! I’m hoping the upcoming weeks treat you better and that you feel better soon :pray:

6 Likes

reached 0/0 at level 15! Have been going at it sloow the last week, so level 15 will probably be a 3-week stay when its done.
Given how my reset (to 11) was at 17, I start to encounter stuff that ive not learned properly back then, and lessons are “more new” to me. Next level will up that even more. In the end, ill have spent 3 months total probably to get back to where i quit at 17, but it will have been worth it as the “gap” (things left in lower srs stages but then forgotten) should be well filled.

5 Likes

I got my first burns today at level 13! Still can’t believe I’ve kept this up for half a year :smiling_face_with_tear:

8 Likes

Congratulations! おめでとう!
That’s great progress in half a year

5 Likes

@potatonaught @DurtleHeaven I think I messed up the table when I updated my level, how do I fix it? AHHHH noooo.

(panic over I fixed it I think, sorry for the @)

Congrats all :slight_smile:

:durtle_durtverted_lvl1: Levels Updated :durtle_durverted_lvl2:

Username Level change
raindrops 23 → 24
Nemuitanuki 23 → 28
Yumari-1 25 → 29
Need2Read 11 → 13
oncejess 4 → 5
wct from 11 → 19
ChicagoGreen 6 → 7
Jirach 16 → 20
Cruciarius 3 → 13
Kraits 19 → 22
MainJ 8 → 9
silvercanopus 20 → 21
rilakkumacafe 12 → 13
albireoNox 22 → 26
Lewby 7 → 8
beyondandabove1 9 → 10
Patternfinder 8 → 14
AnimeOverlord 11 → 13
3 Likes

slides in hello~

So firstly I would like to say that I’m not entirely taking the scenic route right now, but that’s because I’m trying to get back up to level 20 because I reset from there after taking a 3 month break. A bit extreme, yes, but I figured it would be better for me. Once I hit level 20, though, I intend on taking a bit longer on each level. Currently I’m not trying to speedrun back up there, but I am going as fast as I think I can handle. Doing 20 lessons a day, doing my reviews several times a day, and trying to manage my time doing reviews by not doing more than 35 reviews at a time is my current method. I’ll slow down to 10 lessons when I’m at level 20.

Currently, I’m close to levelling up to 6. I’m not sure how close, but not more than a day or two I believe.
Edit: lol I meant 7, but everyone enjoys my silly blunders so I’ll keep it :joy:

7 Likes

Excited to have you! I think your plan sounds quite reasonable, and I’m sure you’ll be back to where you left off soon :blush:

6 Likes

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck on your run to level 20! :running_man:

5 Likes

Reached level 16, wohoo! The last level i have to complete before I am again at where i was before resetting to 11

9 Likes

Made it to level 39!

Took just under 13 days this time. I also completed my just under a month long listen every day challenge, and started the summer read every day challenge (I’m slow to update the calendar, but have successfully managed to keep up with it every day so far)! Trying to do both Spanish and Japanese again.

I’m a little behind on my wrestling translations, so I’m currently trying my best to catch up on those before the next Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling show on the 9th :sweat_smile:. Talk about incentives to read every day :sweat_smile:.

7 Likes

Got to level 14!

This was a lot faster, being 13 days. I have a lot more spare time now that I accomplished a lot of other real life goals and events.

I’m still slowly reading the visual novel I purchased earlier in June. We’ll see how far I can get with my current knowledge, but it’s been a fun challenge!

8 Likes

Aaand touched 0/0 in level 16. Soon to be where i reset last time!

7 Likes