:durtle_hello: Let's Durtle the Scenic Route šŸ¢

Iā€™ve been lurking this thread for a while while getting used to WaniKani. Iā€™ll join the durtle scenic route as Iā€™ve felt Iā€™ve slowed down in my leveling. I did feel a bit of burnout during level 9 and donā€™t want to repeat that same experience, so nice and steady is the way Iā€™ll go for now! :durtle_megane:

9 Likes

Welcome! Rilakkuma is the perfect role model for taking it easy :bear:

5 Likes

Iā€™m still strolling along! I just hit level 37.

When things get a little overwhelming or I have to prioritize other things in my life, Iā€™m thankful that Wanikani is at a manageable rate that I can keep that up in the background and Iā€™m constantly making progress. Feels good.

10 Likes

Made it to level 35! Took almost exactly 14 days. It has beenā€¦ quite the whirlwind of a past couple weeks, to be honest :sweat_smile:. First I was very distracted in a fun way with watching a billion wrestling shows during Golden Week, then I got distracted trying to translate a few show recaps and some senryu poems, and now Iā€™ve been very distracted because of a negative wrestling thing that I wonā€™t go into too much detail about here (check the pro wrestling thread if you want to know more, I guess).

So, long story short, I barely finished lesson 30 of Minna no Nihongo! But I did manage to finish at least one textbook lesson, despite all of the distractions, and have also managed to keep up with the read every day challenge, so I guess I should consider that a win?

9 Likes

Hello, coming back after about 1.5 years of break :wave: I figured it would be less painful to reset from level 17 down to level 10 than to push through the pile of reviews that had accumulated (and thus more likely for me to actually do in order to get started on WaniKani again), so thatā€™s what I did last month. I slowly chipped away at the pile of 500ish to ease myself back into it, and then in the last couple days I increased my pace to get down to 0. Fortunately, most review items were in their burn stage, so them not coming back / the review pile not getting bigger on its own made me feel like I was actually making progress. (I remembered a lot and know a lot of kanji/vocab in upcoming levels, partially because Iā€™ve had regular practice reading Japanese in the intervening time.) However, that also resulted in this, which amuses me greatly:

So now itā€™s time to start again! And Iā€™ll go at as slow of a pace I need to see it all the way through.

9 Likes

Hey, :3 I updated my info on the sheet as I joined level 3 previously and got to level 5.

But I reset - now Iā€™m level 4 again and so I am re-joining the scenic route I suppose you could say, so Iā€™ve set my time per level to ~ and my join level to 4.

So my strategy at the moment is to do 30-40 lessons every 2-3 days (if I have them available) or until I feel overwhelmed with the amount of info I have to retain.

Hereā€™s how things are looking currently:

I need to wait a little bit to touch those 40 lessons as I am still a bit unsure of the lessons from yesterday.

Also, itā€™s worth mentioning that I am prioritizing the vocab from my previous level, so when I hit level 5, I will do the 110 or so level 4 vocab before I even touch the Kanji. This should make it so that I can always be up-to-date on my vocab.

8 Likes

@amateur-dino , @Lewby Welcome and welcome back!

8 Likes

At the risk of sounding stupid, why does your WaniKani look soo different?

4 Likes

Extensions the main two youā€™re seeing are ā€œWaniKani Dashboard Cockpitā€ & a ā€œWaniKani Breeze Darkā€.

5 Likes

No stupid question! There is a ton of custom scripts that can be added to WaniKani, some of them will help you go faster on your review, some will make it harder on purpose (ex: by changing kanji fonts), but mostly it will make you feel more comfy with WaniKani :smiley:
Hereā€™s the post letting you know all about it: The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps

5 Likes

durtled myself up to 14 now - this probably took notably longer than two weeks, but so far its working out that im planning to do at least one review a day, which usually ends up being many more, but avoiding ā€œzeroā€ days wherever possible.ive set ganbarometer to a target range of 100-150 reviews a day, might have to slightly decrease it though when i leave the levels that ive already glanced at before the reset back to 11.

8 Likes

Congratz on durtling to level 14!! Yeayyy :partying_face:

5 Likes

Made it to level 36!

Took just under thirteen days this time. It has been another couple of stressful weeks for me, but Iā€™m glad that I havenā€™t faltered in my Japanese studies at least. Iā€™ve kept going with the read every day challenge (in both Spanish and Japanese), and I even managed to complete lesson 31 of MNN. I also started writing some poetry in Japanese :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Woo! Thatā€™s quite a lot!

Whatā€™s something you noticed between reading in Spanish and Japanese every day?

5 Likes

Iā€™ve noticed that Iā€™m definitely at a point with Spanish where itā€™s significantly easier for me than reading in Japanese, haha, and so Iā€™ll have days where I procrastinate on my Japanese by reading in Spanish first, or Iā€™ll read an extra chapter in my Spanish book so that I can put off reading in Japanese :sweat_smile:. It used to be that reading in Spanish was pretty exhausting for me (and I guess it still is if Iā€™m reading a harder book), so itā€™s pretty cool to notice that itā€™s less of an energy burden on me now.

Iā€™m definitely feeling the intermediate plateau with Spanish, though. I think itā€™s harder to see my progress with the language because I havenā€™t SRSā€™d any of it, whereas with Japanese, even if I canā€™t see my progress (I havenā€™t reached this point yet), Iā€™ll at least know for sure that Iā€™m learning 3 kanji + 9 vocab a day through WK, and often 10 additional vocab through Anki. Not to mention all of the grammar Iā€™m learning from my textbook. So I know for a fact that my proficiency is increasing, even on days when it might be less visible.

As far as switching between languages goes, I havenā€™t had any problems at all! I can read a page in Spanish, then put the book down and immediately read a tweet in Japanese, and my brain adjusts easily.

8 Likes

0/0 check @14 :durtle:

9 Likes

Got to level 12 today after 21 days! Durtling along has really lowered my stress levels with wanikani, especially with how many other life things and goals going on in my life :durtle:

In level 11, I started trying to talk with both native speakers and people with high level Japanese. It was fun trying to up my speaking game! Iā€™ve also slowly began trying to type in Japanese and have had many nice Japanese people correct my grammar and kanji along the way. I hope to incorporate more learning methods as I level up!

Now onwards to chugging along my 179 lessons :durtle_tomato:

11 Likes

Everyone else: ā€œWow, look at me durtling, 10-20 days per levelā€
Me: ā€¦

10 Likes

hey now

some people jog through a park, some people stroll, and some people set up a picnic under a tree. weā€™re all enjoying the park in our own way

13 Likes

Off the back of the first post I made here just yesterday, Iā€™m joining this group because if I canā€™t get myself to go any faster I may as well enjoy the ride!

9 Likes