Let‘s set our goals for the end of year 2018

Argh, I’m going to do it. I do apologize in advance if my list sounds too absurd or arrogant. These last 3 years were pretty much spent doing nothing. I dreamed, but I never took a step further. I barely remember if anything important happened. 2017 was a reset year to my soul and hopefully 2018 will be a good one (for everyone)!

Exercise:

=> Being able to hold handstand for 30 seconds.
=> Being able to do a back lever.
=> Almost reaching the splits.
=> Being able to do the front lever.
=> Cleaning that layer of fat that’s resting for a while.

Japanese:

=> Knowing 13k words total.
=> Being in the N2 level.
=> Having classes on iTalki.
=> Being able to write most Kanji by hand.
=> Reach lvl 60 on WK.
=> Keep using KW everyday.
=> Writing posts on social media in Japanese.

Japan:

=> Visit Japan for 2 weeks (reward for my birthday: 6 months left).
=> Preparing to or even moving to Japan (I wanna go on an adventureeee).

Social Media:

=> Being active on my social media posting as a habit and not as an obligation.
=> Not being afraid of a freaking camera.
=> Buy the camera, obviously.
=> Having 100k subscribers Youtube and IG.

Business:

=> Doing 10k euros/month, so that I can do whatever I want, whenever I want.

Love:

=> Being able to go out with my friends more often.
=> Appreciate even more my parents and give them the opportunity to use the time they never had to be selfish and focus on themselves.
=> Hope for the health of my brother.
=> Somehow to stop trying to be a perfectionist in terms of love, go out, find someone and enjoy myself.

Extras:

=> Read 10 books.
=> Do a complete restart on my education related to Nutrition and self-study it like I used to do in High school.
=> Restart my singing classes again. I love singing too much, so I might as well work to reduce the pain I cause in others’ ears :stuck_out_tongue:

22 Likes

Just started learning about a week ago, so I’m not sure what level to aim for but I’d love to master katakana very soon on top of my hiragana and follow that up with starting to use the language in every day life. Finding a way to incorporate the language/writing into my life will be a little difficult, but applying it every day will make it far more exciting and will help me learn more so here’s hoping! By the end of the year I aim to unseat Shinzo Abe and make it illegal to ever stop producing naruto/boruto. These are the real issues.

6 Likes

I hope to learn as much as I can as enjoyably as possible & to use my knowledge to facilitate kindness and community wherever I may be!

A happy 2018 to us all!

6 Likes

Oh man, I’ve been dreaming to do that for a few years now. And I just keep injuring myself in silly ways instead. (e.g. I have a broken hand right now because I tripped on my own frigging foot and fell. Talk about bad karma)

About the full list, it does seem intense to manage all that in one year, but that means it will feel even more awesome when you achieve it all.

3 Likes

Oh, that hurts =/ lol Yeah injuries are the worse. I once injured myself on my right shoulder because some friends were telling me “you don’t need to be scared of trying to do a muscle up man! Just try to turn one shoulder at a time!”. Yeah sure, it did work. 2 days later my right shoulder would go numb after 30/40 mins of training. Since I was doing calisthenics, that was terrible. It took me around 1 year and a half to fix this with a tennis ball (saw some weird trick to release tension from the scapula). The next day, it felt like I was cured lol.

Well, hope your hand gets better with time! :slight_smile:

It is, but I don’t mind. I have nothing better to do this year and I don’t want to go back to the time where I was spending my days looking to the void. I feel much better when I’m challenged. If I achieve half of it, it will be a huge success already.

3 Likes

Finally, someone with a realistic goal!

9 Likes

Not at all. I think all those are great things to aim for. I wish for nothing but the best for you! Good luck!

As for my own goals, I feel like mine are fairly modest:

1. Aim for Level 40 by the end of the year.
  2. Be able to read at at least an elementary school level. (God, I hope. :sweat_smile:)
  3. Complete BunPro up to N3.

I suppose I could try for the JLPT, also, but that all depends on whether or not I start focusing on my listening skills. And since those aren’t very high on my list of priorities (I don’t really care about them at all atm), this probably won’t happen. But I’ll try and work my vacation time around the time slot juuuuust in case. :smiley:

10 Likes

Just joined iTalki and asked people to video chat with me. That is one of my main goals I guess. I want to practice speaking with people. I have no experience there and that is a huge huge huge part of learning a language. I have been too nervous up to this point but hopefully I will cross that bridge and find some good people to practice with.

7 Likes

I have a doctor stop for 6 months, but after that (and rehabilitation) the doctor expect a full recovery, so there’s that at least. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Japanese/Wanikani
・Well, according to the stats, they say I can get to level 60 by the end of the year(November actually) but I’ll be okay with level 35-40.
・I’d like to finish at least one Japanese book with little effort(looking up new words is okay, but I’d like to leave that to a minimum).
•Get through all available grammar points on bunpro.
・Do N3 and pass. Take N2 if I feel confident around that time.
• Learn more 敬語 so I can show more respect to my superiors. And practice more so I don’t continue to accidently speak to them in casual form before quickly correcting myself with丁寧語.
• Switch to watching my shows in japanese(with Japanese subs, if anything.) I’m always so worried about doing that, but I’ve tried it before and it was fine. My fear is that I won’t be able to understand 100%.
• I want to get through meetings with my coworkers, or just talk to them more without stumbling and feeling as if I’m speaking like an elementary student.

Travel/Every day
• Do some independent travel (already planning my trip.)
• Exercise more (exercise, period…-_-')
• Buy a keyboard so I can practice at home. Get good enough so I can look up sheet music and just play.
• Start those hip hop dance classes.
• Find a school that I’d like to do my grad studies in. (Possibly start online courses in the mean time.)
• Pratice drawing more. If not everyday, at least once or twice a week.

8 Likes

Very Achievable Goals:

• Get to level 50 on WaniKani. I could get to 60 if I put in the time, but that time is better spent elsewhere.
  • Learn another 1000 words on iKnow.
  • Go through the N5, N4, and N3 grammar lessons on Bunpro. I just starting this week after not having a systematic approach to learning grammar for a while. Hopefully this will get me back on track.
  • Learn some onomatopoeia! I just ordered Jazz Up Your Japanese with Onomatopoeia, and I look forward to checking it out.
  • Watch Madoka Magica without subtitles. I’ve seen the show three times already, so I hope I’ll get the gist of the dialogue, with the exception of some… crazier dialogues in the later episodes.
  • Read the first two volumes of ご注文はうさぎですか. I have them sitting on my shelf, but I’ve only skimmed over a few pages so far. I need something more challenging than よつばと! and I think this will be the right difficulty.

Stretch Goals:

• Get to level 60 on WaniKani instead of level 50. Who knows, maybe I’ll have the time after all.
  • Read and understand most of 魔女の宅急便 at a reasonable pace. I’m reading it now with the book club, but the pace is both too fast and too slow for me, if that makes sense. It’s too fast because it is really time consuming (and draining) since I have to look up too much, and the perfectionist in me wants to understand nearly everything. But at the same time, 26 weeks is way too long to read a 250 page book. I can leisurely read a book that length in English in a week, so I feel like 10 weeks is a reasonable goal to read a book that length in Japanese. Unless things improve with reading the book in the book club, I may drop it after chapter three and try it again mid-next year after improving my grammar.
8 Likes

I will get to level 60 on WK and pass JLPT N2

5 Likes

Get a wife and make her chinese.

It may sound weird, but I really have no goals that I’m specifically shooting for by the end of 2018. My only goal for learning japanese has not changed since I started. When that day comes, it comes.

By the end of 2018, I should be well into level 60 on here and well done with the core 10k. Thats achievable by the end of summer before I go to japan again, after that is a toss up.

6 Likes

My goal is to be N4 level in speaking, reading, writing, and listening, and confident in it.

4 Likes

Reach level 60 on WaniKani, and N2-level grammar. I already know the kanji up to level 50 thanks to Anki, but I couldn’t find any deck with the last ten levels+mnemonics, so I’m planning to work through WK as quickly as I can. My grammar-level is currently hovering somewhere between N5 and N4, so I’ve got a lot of work ahead of me to reach N2, but I think it should be doable.

3 Likes

1 - Finish Genki 1&2
2 - Level 60 in October, perhaps November
3 - Sleep 9 hrs a day
4 - Get a job

3 Likes

We’ll be your cheerleaders! :ok_woman:

3 Likes

I feel like there is a bit of a discrepancy here. N2 level has about 6,000 words and N1 has about 10,000. Knowing 13,000 words would basically mean you are close to proficient in Japanese, which is a rather lofty goal for a year or so.

As for do-ability, yeah it is very much so. Technically speaking at level 30 you already know about 1,000 kanji, which is around the right number of kanji you need to know, even if they don’t exactly line up with N2. I would aim maybe for 8,000 words; which is slightly more than about double what you know at your level.

1 Like

Good luck with the JET program! If you are assigned in Chiba, there is a slight possibility that I may get to work with you!:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Recently, I read the 5 Second Rule by Mel Robbins to find some motivation. Because of it, my list is long and divided very specifically but as far as learning Japanese with the help of WK and its community, I want to do the following:

1. Reach level 20.
  2. Write down all the WK context sentences in a notebook for my writing practice.
  3. Go through Genki I and II.
  4. Overcome my shyness with speaking by speaking in Japanese first at work and then switch to English if no one can really understand what the heck I’m trying to convey.
  5. Take the N5 or N4 by December (depending on my confidence).
  6. BE CONSISTENT IN ALL MY ROUTINES.
7 Likes