Leech Squashing

怠惰 laziness
怠慢 negligence
緩慢 slow, sluggish

Does anyone have problems with radicals being leeches? Like the ones where WK gives it a different name than the kanji has, or you just can’t remember the exact word or phrase, just the general idea of what the radical is called. Thinking of installing a userscript just so I can stop worrying about 工 being industry or construction or whatever (although, yes, I did add some synonyms. Waiting for it to burn.)

That and every kanji compound that means action… 活動, 作用, 行動…

For radicals that are the same as kanji, I always add the kanji meaning as a synonym simply because when I’m going through reviews, that’s the first meaning that pops into my head. I’ve found that I have yet to have an issue with remembering the radical name as well and therefore it doesn’t affect my ability to use/remember the mnemonics. :+1:

Oh, that’s a good idea. I always forget to add synonyms since you can’t do it during the lesson phase (and I don’t have any scripts for that).

I didn’t for a long time as I didn’t feel it was necessary. But I finally decided to install it and now, I think I add synonyms during lessons pretty much every time I have a lesson session. It’s made a world of difference for me as far as convenience factor.

Stupid kanji for “good friend”, “friendship”, and “friendly” keep mixing me up. GRRRR.

5 Likes

I’ve got these bunch still floating around in my apprentice-guru-enlightened-apprentice cycle…

I keep putting りょうしゃ instead of しゃりょう for 車両 on KaniWani…

I’m down to 18 leeches (from around 30 a week ago). :smiley:

Hey somehow I missed this script you’re using – what is it? Can you share the link so I can add it to the OP (and install it for myself…)

@chrispthompson Sure thing. It’s here: [Unsupported] Dashboard Userscript: Leech, Apprentice, and Guru detail (aka SRS level progress). :wave:

2 Likes

@chrispthompson, another link for your opening post is @hitechbunny’s other leech squashing tool is Leeches Screensaver . Thanks.

Some onyomi I hadn’t noticed were so similar:

相 (そう)
組 (そ)

As if remembering whether or not to lengthen a vowel wasn’t hard enough on its own :sob:

1 Like

You guys these are awesome!!! I thought I was reading every single post on these forums… I’m not sure how I missed them. Will add up top. Just to make sure I give proper credit, both are by @hitechbunny?

In other news, do I now need a script to identify my 23 NON-leeches??.. :rofl::joy:

leechy

3 Likes

Both the script and the screensaver belong to @hitechbunny.

is killing me. Not even the vocab, or even the kanji. The radical. I consistently confuse it with 九 or 刀, yet somehow never confuse them with 力. :sob:

3 Likes

I failed to burn 九 earlier this month, calling it power. ドンマイ!

As for me…

職業 - occupation
従業 - employment
就業 - employment
就職 - finding employment

WHAT THE FUCK

4 Likes

I already had さつ bumped down to Guru but I failed it again and now it’s Apprentice :sob:

札 (さつ)
礼(れい)

You’d think I’d know the difference between a tree and pelican but I guess not :joy:

7 Likes

These may be WK’s most hated set of leeches.

The other killer four for me were:

施設 institution
創立 establishment
構成 organization
構造 structure

Highly recommend making these 8 words an excuse to dive into a J - J dictionary… or at the very least some serious example-sentence study.

3 Likes

This little devil: 曲 Music, Bend/Music, Tune/PIECE OF music/Song/Melody is pretty much ruined my accuracy despite my understanding what it means. I’ve known since before I started Wanikani that 音楽 is actually music, but having to remember Music for the radical caused me to constantly get the Vocab wrong. Once I unlearned music because it’s either a bend or a melody, I started missing the radical constantly.

And I could write an essay on how much 弟 brings the salt of me. 6 whole levels of kanji and now I’m stuck with a radical that only accepts Younger Brother. What drives me the most mad is that these aren’t leeches inhibiting my Japanese since I understand what they are. It’s just slowing me down from getting to a level where I actually feel challenged by the kanji load. >.>

On the other hand, I had such a bad time getting through 返 and 仮. It took me a few misses to remember the differences well enough, but then finding out that 返る is the same dictionary reading (and very close meaning) as 帰る caused me to start thinking “ka” for both despite knowing 返事 (verbally; I hadn’t known the kanji at that point) and that is KAE-RU, not KA-ERU. Asking a 国語 teacher about the distinct differences between 返る、返す、帰る、and 帰す finally split them apart for me and I managed through them.

Other than dealing with 弟 currently, my current batch of Kanji seems to be fairly leech-free. Plus, I finally discovered the Synonym function, so I can say good-bye to those WaniKani based complications.

1 Like