Leech Squashing

艦隊 - naval fleet
艦船 - warship

someday I’ll get these right and be like

Cross-post: A script to warn you at learning time that something it a common leech: Script idea: leech-o-meter?

I’m down to 26 leeches! :dancing_men:

I keep confusing 竹 (bamboo) with 村 (village). Grr.

1 Like

when you see a Leech, but answer it correctly and finally watch it burn

5 Likes

FYI I went ahead and created it. Feedback welcome!

You can find it here: Script idea: leech-o-meter?

Is there a list somewhere of the different reasons why something becomes a leech?

E.g. confusion between similar looking kanji, phonetic confusion (eg zu & su), kanji reading confusion (eg jin & hito)., etc.

The first post: ⇑

観念 idea, notion
概念 general idea, notion

oh how long you leechy little twins have been floating around in my queue pretending to be one word but actually you are two words

2 Likes

I’m always getting the meanings mixed up for words that mean “soon” and “recent”

Anybody find some rule that helps remember which is which?

哀悼 condolence
追悼 memorial

I keep mixing memorial and condolence.

A bonus, 暁(あかつき) and 曙(あけぼの)

I am waiting for [Userscript] Item Marker to be collapsible to 1 group, or maybe I should just install it as it is? – I am drilling WaniKani Context Sentences on Anki to further understand the vocab meaning.

This isn’t a real leech for me, as I don’t think I’ve ever actually gotten it wrong but… with 四角, I always type よんかく before backspacing and correcting it. I really wish my brain would think しかく right off the bat.

Hoping that complaining here will help me to do that next time…

1 Like

しかく rolls off the tongue better!

1 Like

It definitely does which is why I always remember to change it. But when I’m simply reading the kanji, I always think よんかく in my head first.

しかく sounds like a Japanese city or something. That’s how I got the reading xD It reminds me of 新宿 (し sound).

Google told me that しかく was also a character in Naruto.

I don’t have a problem with how it sounds. It certainly sounds correct. It’s just when my eyes first see/read the kanji, my brain goes straight to よん。Just trying to train myself to stop doing that.

1 Like

I used to miss the third one a lot. Then I came up with a short mnemonic that covers both the meaning and reading. It’s uh… weird but it works.

What’s a big thing? Your dick. It’s quite important to you.

Since it begins with d, I know it’s dai instead of tai. I’ll show myself out.

2 Likes

I keep putting ‘especially’ for the meaning of ‘取り決め’ (confusing it with ‘取り分け’). It’s an ‘especially’ annoying ‘arrangement’ of kanji.

… Ah, I see… it’s a different meaning of ‘arrangement’. I’ll try to remember it as ‘agreement’ or ‘decision’ - that 決 makes more sense now.

怠惰 laziness
怠慢 negligence
緩慢 slow, sluggish

Does anyone have problems with radicals being leeches? Like the ones where WK gives it a different name than the kanji has, or you just can’t remember the exact word or phrase, just the general idea of what the radical is called. Thinking of installing a userscript just so I can stop worrying about 工 being industry or construction or whatever (although, yes, I did add some synonyms. Waiting for it to burn.)

That and every kanji compound that means action… 活動, 作用, 行動…