Leech Squashing

I can’t see any relation between score, SRS, and Wrong, other than Wrong seems to be less than SRS (does SRS 5 mean Guru 1, or it’s come up 5 times?). Do you have a link to the script or page you’re using to generate the chart? Unless we know exactly how the score column is calculated, it’s impossible to answer.

1 Like

chart generated from here〜
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/wktoys/leechDetector.htm

1 Like

I do have a problem with 躍如 for some reasons.

躍如 やくじょ vivid

2 Likes

After looking at the code, the chart Maps to the following:

Column 1: The item in question’s kanji/kana (color indicates if radical/kanji/vocab)
Column 2: Whether The row refers to meaning or reading (R for reading, M for Meaning. Not in the code, but makes sense)
Column 3: SRS level. 1, 2, 3, 4 mean Apprentice, 5, 6 mean guru, 7 means master, 8 means enlightened, Burned not shown.
Column 4: How many times you’ve answered that particular item wrong. (for example the meaning of 金玉)
Column 5 (the important one): the incorrect count divided by your current streak, rounded to the nearest single decimal place. So, if you had a reading streak of 6, with 4 incorrect answers, you would have a score of 0.7.

After looking at this, a score is the ratio of total incorrect answers to current consecutive correct answers, suggesting a higher score is a leechier item.

EDIT: If you’ve just finished a review session, and you got an answer wrong, that item will likely be higher up on the list than expected, since x/1 = x. Example: In review, I’ve just got 生む’s meaning wrong, bringing my total incorrect answers to 3. Since I got it wrong, my current streak is 1. So, it has a score of 3.0

3 Likes

thank you for detailed information and extra example you’ve added〜 the only column i can guess is column 1 and 2〜 at least now i can figured how this chart works〜♪

4 Likes

@minamixdrops, the code was originally developed by @StellaTerra, who explained the formula as follows:

The script became so popular that StellaTerra created a thread for us to address questions specifically about it: Official leechDetector script thread. @bladepoint’s explanation is correct.

2 Likes

狐 and 孤

I should return to writing individual Kanji stroke-by-stroke ASAP.

Another one, 宗 and 崇.

1 Like

Real confusion this time…

Why is
畜 livestock, while 蓄 amass?

What about the grass (艸)?

1 Like

You made it this far… Surely by now you know the kanji parts are nearly meaningless.

3 Likes

These seem like two pretty straightforward pairs of transitive/intransitive words using the kanji 傷, but I realize I’ve been confusing them for a while now:

kanji reading "いた"
傷む (intrans.)
傷める (trans.)

kanji reading "きず”
傷つく (intrans.)
傷つける (trans.)

Keeping transitive/intransitive straight should be easy, since the okurigana patterns aren’t unusual (in fact, the okurigana of 傷つく and 傷つける, without the kanji actually are the transitivity pair for “turn on”)

I think it’s the meanings causing confusion, and I realize what’s secretly leechy about these: the meaning (“hurt” or “damage”) for the vocab pair is actually opposite of what the reading of the kanji was leading me to believe.

The pair with the reading “いた” (which I subconsciously associate with “hurt” or “pain” because of 痛 words) are the pair that don’t have the meaning “to hurt”

傷める いためる to damage
傷む いたむ to be damaged

Whereas the pair with the reading “きず” (which seems like it should mean “damage” because of the vocab 傷) are the pair that have the primary meanings “hurt”

傷つく きずつく to get hurt
傷つける きずつける to hurt someone

PS - WK does actually accept “to damage” for 傷つける, but doesn’t accept “to be damaged” for 傷つく (which, according to jisho, would be correct). So, if you add “to get damaged” as a synonym for 傷つく, you could actually just use the “damage” meanings for all four and not technically be wrong…

2 Likes

My major leeches are 行う (おこなう - to carry out a task) and 出来る (できる - to be able to do) because I learned them around the same time and their meanings are a lot less direct than most other verbs I’ve learned. (Also it doesn’t help that おこなう is such a weird reading for me.) I have no problem when they’re part of another vocab word, but individually my mind always mixes up the two and they swing from master to apprentice every time.

I’ve added more synonyms to help me remember, especially since their meanings are so nebulous that I can’t always remember the exact English words WaniKani wants either. Hopefully my mind has straightened them out!

2 Likes

Much like the basic 作る and 使う…

除く(のぞく) and 残す (のこす)

It’s the problem with similar sounds.

3 Likes

The grass 艹 in amass 蓄 refers to plants and it has something to do with storing edible plants for winter while the 畜 part is phonetic.

Livestock 畜 consists of field 田 and rope 玄. I’ll let you figure out the connection :slight_smile:

5 Likes

拝む お
犯す、侵す お

1 Like

I just couldn’t remember the meaning of 間もなく。Then, I decided to read the mmemonic and it seems like it fixed my problem.

DOING THE OBVIOUS CAN HELP, YOU KNOW?

2 Likes

Not like this is terribly helpful but the only thing that made 間もなく stick for me (after getting it wrong constantly) was going back to Japan and hearing it a zillion times while waiting for the train. A quick “ah ha!” moment and have remembered it ever since

8 Likes

NO WAY THIS IS SOOOOO PERFECT! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

It’s literally the first word :joy:

EDIT:

Meaning Answered Correct

Current Streak 1

Reading Answered Correct

Current Streak 6

1 Like

I like how those train arrival announcements almost always begin with 間もなく, but they seem to find subtly different ways to say the rest of the message.

My local station is 間もなく上り/下り電車が参ります。危険ですから黄色い線の内側でお待ちください。

5 Likes

yess~ real immersion in unbeatable in many ways~☆ i got remove many lecch item with a situation like this~

my recent leech above is meaning of 「操作」but after im fill in some questionnaire containing sentences 「平板状の外形を備え、タッチパネルあるいはペン入力操作」 i get my 「心得る」instantly!!

chance if not in Japan、try to search material (net article、books) contained your leech word and consume them instead of multiple wrong attempt at SRS~

1 Like

You’re so right about the subtle differences. It always changes depending on the station and company, but I find it interesting listening out for the announcements.

I often hear 到着いたします instead of 参ります、and 危ないですから黄色い線までお下がりください 。

I’m struggling to remember but I’m pretty sure I’ve heard both 白線の内側にさがってお待ちください, or 白線の内側でお待ちください

My current favourite is 電車とホームの間が広く開いております, maybe because it took me the longest to be able to hear properly.

I do enjoy the train announcements. :joy:

1 Like