Learning Kanji above level

I have come across posts by people with a similar issue but there wasn’t really that much the way of answers. When I come across kanji above my current level in other studies that I need to learn I find myself looking it up on WK. I appreciate that WK has a structured approach and that I might not yet have come across the radicals but sometimes I have. But in any case I would like to keep track of these ones somewhere for reviewing. So it would be good to have it within WK but I don’t believe you can but what’s a good other option?

1 Like

You can put them in another SRS platforms like Anki, kamesame, kitsun, etc. and do the review on those platforms.

I always learn kanji above my Wanikani’s leveland I see nothing wrong but help me learn those kanji and vocabs better.

6 Likes

What I usually do is I add words with new kanji I encounter outside WaniKani to my Anki decks, paying some attention to the most common reading and picking words which seem to be useful.

I don’t always know yet what that kanji specifically means (the translation), but from context one can often guess.

It makes it easier then when I finally encounter that kanji in WaniKani and the extra vocab is very helpful for kanji which you wouldn’t often find in reading materials at one’s level (grammar text books, simple novels, articles online, etc.).

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ve been using a Anki a bit and I can see how to add cards manually. That does look ok. I was wondering about adding audio but I can see there’s a bit of research to do.

2 Likes

Yes, audio and images requires some extra work. I never managed to figure it out myself :(.

Kind of content with regular JP to EN flashcards with an extra couple of fields.

1 Like

My (silly) way to get audio onto my anki cards is to use the Yomichan extension to make the cards, and just have an audio field on the card. If I found the word in a paper book or something, I will completely look it up on jisho (or similar) on my computer and yomichan it, just so that I can get the card made with audio (if it’s available, occasionally I look up a word and there isn’t any available). Yomichan downloads/adds the audio automatically if the card type has that field, so I don’t need to play around with other things.

1 Like

You can get audio of native speakers pronouncing words from https://forvo.com/. I use Migaku’s tools to automate this (and finding/adding images) when creating cards (Dictionary, Editor, Japanese Support).

I also like to grab sample sentences from Tatoeba when making cards from common vocabulary that use the kanji.

2 Likes

I create Anki cards (with audio) automatically through Yomichan (browser) and Akebi (android)

It can be done with Anki or using another SRS app, but you might be wasting your time double learning kanji because you will need to revise your mnemonics or story when you get the kanji on WK to make it consistent with the WK system. It’s too much work. I’d rather build my vocab using rote memorization as WK has really slow vocab acquisition. I currently use iKnow for this purpose.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.