Katta (+) and Na-katta (-)

Anyone else get completely confused by these two? Nakatta being past negative for U endings and katta as past positive for I-adjectives? It’s the small details between similar tenses that keep tripping me up and stress me out!

1 Like

I definitely remember the times where all the grammar basics felt like such a confusing mess to remember.

~ない is technically an auxiliary adjective. That’s why it changes in the same way as any other い-adjective.

So it’s not that past negative is ~なかった. Negative is ~ない and given that it operates in the same way as all fellow adjectives, it drops the final い and has かった added.

7 Likes

I don’t remember that one specifically tripping me up (and as mentioned the way to think of it is ない → なかった the same as i-adjectives), but one kinda similar thing that I definitely remember being confused by is how a command or request ending in な might mean “do X” or “DON’T do X.”

Turns out it’s because the “do X” version is なさい shortened, while the “DON’T do X” is just な appended directly to the る form of a verb, so the way to tell them apart is the form of the verb itself:

これを食べな。
Eat this.
これを食べるな。
Don’t eat this.

… boy was I glad to learn about that after quite a bit of “wait, this one’s a positive request? I thought な meant a negative command??”

It’s all just about slowly learning what to look for…

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.