Kanji reviews

So I’m getting to the point where I know the readings of the kanji in vocab or even in their single form… but I’m forgetting the actual kanji.

Is there anything that I can use tool wise to whip through these quickly and remember these?

I used to use Kanji Gold when I was in my teens, and I was able to at least understand up to like 3rd grade kanji by going over it again and again. However I’d like to be able to type the answer in instead of selecting an answer.

I really dig when the radicals are the actual kanji and I can just pop off the name of the kanji and go on.

I’ve tried some anki and other programs before but maybe I’m just missing something I can’t seem to get it to work how I want.

Any help would be appreciated.

2 Likes

I’ve been finding Sakubun - A tool to get customized kanji practice (integrates with WaniKani) pretty useful in helping me retain the kanji. It’ll also teach you some new vocabulary in context to boot!

Another option would be using the [Userscript] Self-Study Quiz script. Which would allow you to adjust the filters (with the additional filters script…I think) for just the kanji you want to drill.

Perhaps these will work for you :slight_smile: . Good luck!

3 Likes

Yep, self study quiz is exactly what you want.

1 Like

That’s pretty normal, wouldn’t really worry about it. Why do you need to remember the english keywords? They are just a crutch.

4 Likes

I would recommend using the Kanji Study app. It let’s you practice writing them by giveing you the meaning and on/kun readings and then having you to write them. By default it doesn’t have the Kanji sorted by wanikani level, but @VegasVed hooked me up with custom sets to solve that issue. If you ask him nicely he might help you out with that too! :wink:

But now that I read your comment again I’m not sure if that’s exactly what you’re asking for.

1 Like

Thanks buddy, I’ll check it out!

I have a somewhat similar issue - I can usually remember the meaning and/or reading of a kanji when I see it in a vocabulary word, but I sometimes draw a blank when I see the kanji just by itself, lol. Unsurprisingly, this issue is worse with kanji that I’ve only seen used in like just one or a few vocab words.

I’ll see if the Self Study Quiz can help me review stuff like this.

There’s a script giving you an example sentence during reviews…I’ll see if I can find a link to it later. Because, to be frank, no one sees kanji on their own in the wild. ^^; (you only encounter vocab)

2 Likes

Here’s the script that has a vocab list for each kanji. dunno why I didn’t remember it until you said that

Fabulous! I don’t have access to my scripts on my work computer and couldn’t remember the name! ^^

1 Like

I am at your service.

@NihonScope Check out the app first. If you like it and want to use it and are willing to spend the one-time 13 bucks to unlock Custom Sets in the app, hit me up on Discord (drop your handle here and I’ll add you).

Which I think is completely normal :slight_smile: . One is supposed to know how to pronounce the character in context, be able to quickly pick the correct reading in new contexts and roughly know what the character means, not necessarily what its most common English interpretation is.

1 Like

Sure thing! I’ll investigate all this when I get a chance, gonna check the first few things out now while I have a bit of time, then I’ll check out your stuff.

Thank you,

So I installed it however when I go to tampermonkey I’m not seeing it listed anywhere.

Do I need to be a specific page to get it to see it?

I apologize I’m not a super expert in TamperMonkey I know how to install and deactive.

I checked out the dashboard for the first time but I don’t really get what I’m looking at there.

Thank you,

1 Like

It should be visible when you do your reviews. As for it not showing in tampermonkey, I’m afraid I don’t know, sorry.

And it’s for this reason that I’m sometimes greatly tempted to cheat kanji reviews and just not worry about it when I get the meaning or reading wrong (at least once I’ve guru’d the kanji and have seen vocab that uses it. I have the same attitude towards radicals that I’ve guru’d and seen in kanji.) As long as I can recognize the kanji when it’s used in vocab words, what does it matter if I draw a blank when seeing it in isolation? It’s not like I’ll ever have to do that in real-world scenarios anyway.

And I know there’s the userscript that displays vocabulary words when reviewing kanji to help jog your memory, but that’s only on the desktop app. I do pretty much all my reviews on the Tsurukame mobile app since I’m out and about during the day, so I don’t get to use any of the handy scripts like that or the Confusion Guesser script.

That’s what I used to think as well, but truth is, there is plenty of kanji which can be used as standalone words and some do use on’yomi readings like 錠 (padlock, lock, though this one only has on’yomi). So cheating on English meaning, while iffy, is not as bad as cheating on readings which would be a big no no.

With radicals it can also be tricky. Some are actual kanji, but are simply not available in WaniKani as kanji. Worth doing a dictionary check for this. But they may still have changed names in WaniKani so the meaning is not going to be helpful anyway.

That may be true, but when a kanji can also be used as a standalone word (whether it uses the same reading as the one taught in the kanji lesson or not), it shows up as such in WK as a vocabulary word separate from the kanji lesson. It’s not like WK is like “oh you know the kanji so now you should already be able to recognize it when it’s a vocab word that uses the same reading, I don’t need to bother showing it to you trololol.”

Jokes aside, yeah I get what you’re saying about not skimping on reviewing the readings. I think I might just be getting frustrated that I will sometimes fail a kanji review after doing a fine job recognizing the kanji in a vocab word like just a day or so ago. I just hate that my brain randomly craps itself like that and I lose progress on the SRS because of it. But I suppose that’s more so a problem with me than with the app.

And speaking of radicals, I find it strange how sometimes WK will wait until levels later to show you a kanji that’s just one of the radicals it’s already taught you (like for example, the “jackhammer” radical is level 12 while the kanji that uses just the radical (示 “indicate”) isn’t until level 22.)

1 Like

The ways of the Crabigator are often inscrutable :pensive:

I find it more bizarre when they teach you a radical that you already learned as a kanji several levels earlier. Sure, that makes learning the radical ridiculously easy, but they could just assume we know the meaning as we’ve proven with the kanji rather than putting it through the SRS again.

1 Like