Kanji reviews

So I’m getting to the point where I know the readings of the kanji in vocab or even in their single form… but I’m forgetting the actual kanji.

Is there anything that I can use tool wise to whip through these quickly and remember these?

I used to use Kanji Gold when I was in my teens, and I was able to at least understand up to like 3rd grade kanji by going over it again and again. However I’d like to be able to type the answer in instead of selecting an answer.

I really dig when the radicals are the actual kanji and I can just pop off the name of the kanji and go on.

I’ve tried some anki and other programs before but maybe I’m just missing something I can’t seem to get it to work how I want.

Any help would be appreciated.

2 Likes

I’ve been finding Sakubun - A tool to get customized kanji practice (integrates with WaniKani) pretty useful in helping me retain the kanji. It’ll also teach you some new vocabulary in context to boot!

Another option would be using the [Userscript] Self-Study Quiz script. Which would allow you to adjust the filters (with the additional filters script…I think) for just the kanji you want to drill.

Perhaps these will work for you :slight_smile: . Good luck!

3 Likes

Yep, self study quiz is exactly what you want.

1 Like

That’s pretty normal, wouldn’t really worry about it. Why do you need to remember the english keywords? They are just a crutch.

2 Likes

I would recommend using the Kanji Study app. It let’s you practice writing them by giveing you the meaning and on/kun readings and then having you to write them. By default it doesn’t have the Kanji sorted by wanikani level, but @VegasVed hooked me up with custom sets to solve that issue. If you ask him nicely he might help you out with that too! :wink:

But now that I read your comment again I’m not sure if that’s exactly what you’re asking for.

1 Like

Thanks buddy, I’ll check it out!

I have a somewhat similar issue - I can usually remember the meaning and/or reading of a kanji when I see it in a vocabulary word, but I sometimes draw a blank when I see the kanji just by itself, lol. Unsurprisingly, this issue is worse with kanji that I’ve only seen used in like just one or a few vocab words.

I’ll see if the Self Study Quiz can help me review stuff like this.

There’s a script giving you an example sentence during reviews…I’ll see if I can find a link to it later. Because, to be frank, no one sees kanji on their own in the wild. ^^; (you only encounter vocab)

2 Likes

Here’s the script that has a vocab list for each kanji. dunno why I didn’t remember it until you said that

Fabulous! I don’t have access to my scripts on my work computer and couldn’t remember the name! ^^

1 Like

I am at your service.

@nihonscope Check out the app first. If you like it and want to use it and are willing to spend the one-time 13 bucks to unlock Custom Sets in the app, hit me up on Discord (drop your handle here and I’ll add you).

Which I think is completely normal :slight_smile: . One is supposed to know how to pronounce the character in context, be able to quickly pick the correct reading in new contexts and roughly know what the character means, not necessarily what its most common English interpretation is.

1 Like

Sure thing! I’ll investigate all this when I get a chance, gonna check the first few things out now while I have a bit of time, then I’ll check out your stuff.

Thank you,

So I installed it however when I go to tampermonkey I’m not seeing it listed anywhere.

Do I need to be a specific page to get it to see it?

I apologize I’m not a super expert in TamperMonkey I know how to install and deactive.

I checked out the dashboard for the first time but I don’t really get what I’m looking at there.

Thank you,

1 Like

It should be visible when you do your reviews. As for it not showing in tampermonkey, I’m afraid I don’t know, sorry.