Kanji reviews

underrated and not for everyone, but learning how to handwrite the kanji (there was a post a while back by a guy who made some documents designed for wanikani relating to a sort of handwriting srs, I’ll go fishing for it and link back to it) really helps with remembering it. I find for me, it’s similar to how using grammar points in actual speech cement them better than reading them wherever I may. I like to write short diary entries or letters (that end up going to no one) with my currently limited vocabulary. It works for me and I would hope it works for others. But other than that, yeah the self study userscript is dope.

I think that’s completely normal. I also blank out when I see a kanji like 般 alone and be asked for its meaning when I won’t ever see it alone. I feel like the further one progresses in WaniKani the more certain things become a hindrance rather than help, like radicals for kanji you already know or kanji meanings being wrenched and twisted to fit their supposed English meanings later used in vocab items.

At one point you might just say “oh whatever…” and switch to JP resources.

I think the system and progression of kanji does its job, but it’s not always perfect. One would have to forsake the concept of parts/radicals the way they’re used in WaniKani to teach kanji by proficiency levels, which might be more useful in terms of overall progression, but won’t help with making more complex kanji less scary.

What kind of bothers me with “jackhammer” and “indicate” is that the radical and kanji have completely different names. I would say that’s very misleading. It’s like saying “the kanji means indicate, but the radical has a different meaning”. The way I see it is that renaming radicals comes at a price of having to come up with new stories to explain how radicals come together to form kanji.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.