Kanji reading - above

What am I doing wrong here?

I’m typing ji yo u and the onyomi appears to match, but apparently it’s wrong.

Thanks in advance for your help!

You need to type jou or jyou. It’s a small “yo”.

jyou and jiyou wouldn’t be pronounced the same way.

3 Likes

You might want to check this part of the Knowledge Base for further details:

5 Likes

That did it, thank you! I’ve noticed that typing the mnemonic doesn’t always work - so I’ve been comparing the onyomi with a hiragana chart.

1 Like

Definitely don’t get into the habit of typing the mnemonic. There are some pretty weird ones, or ones that require you to mentally jump from the mnemonic to the actual reading, and if you memorize the mnemonic itself instead of the reading, you’ll end up with some strange readings. It just happens in this case the the mnemonic “Jourm” and the reading “jyou” both begin with “jo” when you type them, but that won’t work for many mnemonics.

3 Likes

I’m realizing that! Pausing my lessons to do the Learn Hiragana guide. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

If you don’t know hiragana very well, absolutely start there. Learning kanji without knowing hiragana will be painful. I used DuoLingo for hiragana. For me, it’s worked the best. I’m working on my katakana, and there are apps like Hiragana Pro and Katakana Pro (they are sister apps), but nothing has made me “get it” quite like DuoLingo did. The first lessons on there are hiragana (iirc), so you can hop right into it.

3 Likes

Case and point, 末 (すえ) and 数 (すう). Two different kanji readings both use “I’m going to sue you” for the mnemonic.

Just a matter of getting used to, as long as you can tell when the mnemonic is going for the spelling and when it’s going for the reading.

I’m not sure if WaniKani supports this or not, but on the Google IME, you can force small letters by typing x[kana romaji]
For example, to force a small つ you type ‘xtsu’. っ.
‘jixyo’ produces じょ.

obviously it’s better to just type ‘jo’ since it’s faster, but when you get to katakana words like ミーティング, it’s a good thing to know. (‘mi-texingu’)

2 Likes

I still haven’t got to typing ティ as “texi”. I really wanna just type “ti” but ち has to get in my way. Maybe I’ll start typing ち as “ti” so I can put this hindrance to use.

“thi” also works. For whatever reason.

2 Likes

1 less keystroke, I’ll take it. Even if it doesn’t make much sense.

Any latin character that doesn’t represent a kana sound works as a 小さい modifier. x and l are the most common ones though l sometimes changes to r on some keyboards.

That’s interesting, though it still feels like normally you’d need a vowel after the “t” for the string to make てぃ. For instance, “txi” doesn’t give you てぃ, it makes “tぃ”

When I originally set up my IME, I added the ability to use L with the ら行 because it just sounds so much more like an L sound rather than an R sound, but after having to set it back up after a few OS reinstalls, I got lazy and just learned to use R. lol

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.