Kaniwani Major Update: 1.3.4!

Hi, I searched the thread for info about this before posting, but couldn’t find a specific answer to my issue, so here goes:

I just unlocked level 6 on WK, which includes two items, both with identical English names and synonyms, i.e. “Older Sister”, but with the only difference being that one is お姉さん (おねえさん), and the other is 姉 (あね). So, from the KaniWani perspective, there’s no way for me to discern between the two when it comes to doing KW reviews.

Is this just me? Or does this happen to everyone? Is there a workaround? Is it something that can be fixed on the KW side, or does it need intervention from the WK side?

I’ve tried adding a fake User Synonym on the WK side of things, but I don’t know if that will work yet. (Will KW eventually resync my data and account for this new synonym, so it will work on the WK side of things as a prompting synonym during reviews?)

I haven’t yet tried to use KW’s “Add Synonym” feature, as honestly I’m not sure how that’s supposed to work. It asks for a Japanese reading, but I just want to give it a separate piece of information to distinguish one vocab from the other, I don’t actually want it to accept new Japanese readings.

So, basically, how should I be handling this kind of issue? I suspect it’s probably going to come up more than once in the future for other different-but-similar vocabs.

Happens to everyone. You can add a custom synonym which can give you a hint that you can see on KW for which one it is

I think you might need to go to the KW user settings to reload WK though, but not sure about that

1 Like

KW did pick up my fake WK synonyms, seemingly automatically, which actually pretty much resolves the issue for me (at least as a workaround). For the record, I’ve just updated my WK synonyms again, with “Big Bro” for 兄 and “Big Sis” for 姉. Those seem to be the minimal changes I need to be able to tell all three "Older Brother"s apart, and both "Older Sister"s.

Now hopefully KW re-updates automatically again in a reasonable time and I should be good to go.

1 Like

Hello!:slight_smile: Is there any way to do a manual sync between Kaniwani and Wanikani? The last one was 3 hrs ago0>0

UPD: nevermind, I didn’t fully understand the answer to a similar question in FAQ. Just in case someone else needs it:

It would be uncouth of us to hammer WK constantly checking for potential changes, so we only sync a few times over a 24 hour period. This means, you may have to wait up to 12 hours for newly unlocked vocab or synonym changes to appear. Patience, young durtle.

1 Like

@Chaly It might be possible to refresh it by turning on and off Follow WaniKani at Kaniwani

1 Like

You probably will get a faster reply if you try on the KW Slack channel. Or you can take a look at their github project directly, perhaps there is some info there.

@Tadgh11 Is APIv2 support planned now that APIv1 will no longer function after Sept. 1st?

I created an issue on GitHub as well:

Edit: Thank you for deploying v2!

After an update within the last few days, the search function on the main page at KaniWani no longer returns any results for me. I’ve tried several devices and browsers, and I cleared the cookies as well.

This appears to be a hiccup from swapping over to WK V2 api. Tadgh is looking into this, should be an easy fix and be back to normal in a few days. Likewise for review questions only containing a single meaning/synonym.

2 Likes

Thank you (and Taddy) for taking the time to switch over to V2 :pray:t2:

3 Likes

Hello there. There are some words that already deleted from WK.
For example 大いに.
And I guess content doesn’t update follwing changes made in WK?

It doesn’t hurt to learn the deleted words, does it?

It helps you remember them better when they’re gone! :wink:

This tool is simply fantastic. Many thanks to the developers for creating this!

1 Like

Inconsistent darkmode.

Works for Chrome/Andriod, but not for Chrome/Win10 or Chrome/iOS.

Suggestions?

Hi! Just wanted to mention that a LipSurf user has made a prototype plugin to use LipSurf with KaniWani. What does this mean?

• improve your recall by activating a different part of your brain
  • get comfortable speaking Japanese faster
  • use KaniWani hands-free

If you have feedback, we would love to see it on the LipSurf forum post (in step 2 below) so we don’t hijack this thread. See these two posts on how to get started right away:

1. Install LipSurf:
    LipSurf - WaniKani Voice Dictation. Review while you eat, do chores, etc
  2. Install the community KaniWani plugin:
    :tada: New Bunpro and Kitsun.io plugins now available! - Official - LipSurf
1 Like

Hi. Thank you for this app.

I have a question / problem: sometimes I don’t remember a word. I need to be able to see the answer, study it for a moment, then mark the question as not answered and move on. But I cannot find a way to do it!

I tried typing the shortcuts (K, etc) into the answer bar, but it doesn’t work. I’m on mobile, so I don’t have other ways to input shortcuts.

Is there a button that I’m not seeing, that I can use to reveal the answer? Right now I need to look it up in the dictionary, trying to remember which word had a certain definition in wanikani.

Edit: I’ll be damned! You need to click on the tiny “INFO LOW” rectangle!? I would have never guessed such a thing was a button. And then, I suppose, click on the X if it was a typing mistake, but on the right arrow if it was a real mistake?

The other app, Jakeipuu, has the same kind of confusing interface. I wonder why? Maybe I’m just too old to find modern interfaces intuitive at all.

I think I just found a bug, because I don’t have any lessons available, despite being level 7 in wk and resetting my progress back to the start at kaniwani. I refreshed the page and put a new key but it didn’t fix anything

Try heading to the Vocabulary page on KW and unlocking any levels you wish to study - you may have locked them all via your reset.
Toggle Follow WaniKani to on in Settings to keep unlocking new items you unlock in WK.

1 Like

I have a question about KaniWani and I didn’t know where to post it, so I hope you don’t mind.

I just started using KW and had to set up an API token. I wasn’t sure what options I was supposed to pick, if any, when I did that… so I left them all unchecked. It seems to be working, but is that the correct way to generate the token?

よろしくお願いします!

This is how I did it and it worked fine for me. I guess you did it right.

1 Like