[Userscript] KaniWani notes, question edit, API data, etc

Not sure how useful it might be, but here it goes. It actually uses WaniKani API, so it’s an API based userscript for an API based third party app.

Demo

Features:

• Create notes
  • Alter questions
  • Show WaniKani vocabulary details and statistics
  • Warn on a wrong vocabulary kanji reading (or accept any)
  • Warn after N repeated mistakes
  • Lazy urls to WaniKani/Jisho/Eijiro

Keep in mind

• Everything stored in localStorage (your browser memory), it will be erased if you decide to clear browsing data. Though a backup feature will be added shortly.

Install / github

6 Likes

You are a hero!

I’ve been hoping someone would make a script for modifying the questions so I can add "not"s to synonyms.

e.g.

Question:
Place (not:所)

Answer:
場所

Where do I find the dictionary/WK links?

You answer something first and then click on the vocabulary under the kanji column, a modal will(should) open

1 Like

awesome that looks great
fantastic script thanks so much for making it.

Just tagging @Tadgh11 and @Subversity so that they see this. Also maybe @ShotgunLagoon could add it to the third-party apps list.

Ha i love it! This is really handy.

We are implementing a few of things natively in Kaniwani in our refactor, so you may have to edit your script a bit once we do eventually release!

Might want to warn everyone that any notes added will not be saved on a server or persist across devices.

Done.
But now I want to make it possible. A backend for a usersript of a 3rd party app is worth making just for the memes.

We’re already adding notes etc that persist to backend in the current rewrite ^^

[quote=“Subversity, post:8, topic:18489, full:true”]
We’re already adding notes etc that persist to backend in the current rewrite ^^
[/quote]Neat. While you’re at it, can you make it possible to alter the questions (meanings) as well?
There’s a lot of misleading garbage in some cards, plus some special ones like Toukyou or Heian are just pointless to have.

The special ones will remain since some people use KW for (kanji) writing practice. They’re only meaningless if you don’t care about reproducing the correct kanji (塀暗 !== 平安). Just lock cards you’re not interested in (easiest links are currently from summary page after a review).

Rewrite has ability during review to lock individual words, and quicklink to WK vocab page (for reference / meaning additions). We’ll take meaning edits under consideration.

[quote=“Subversity, post:10, topic:18489”]
The special ones will remain since some people use KW for (kanji) writing practice. They’re only meaningless if you don’t care about reproducing the correct kanji (塀暗 !== 平安)[/quote]Maybe I’m missing something, how having “heian” in the meaning for “平安” can help with reproducing correct kanji? Or rather, why would you answer 塀暗 when asked for “peace”?
What about 東京? It’s defined as ”tokyo, toukyou”.

update v0.5, more joke features:

• alt+d hotkey: show details for the current item (API must be enabled)
  • new option: show total time spent
  • new option: show estimated time left based on N last answers (10 last answers is recommended, not using it is even more recommended since it’s annoying)
  • new option: second chance, prevents from submitting wrong answers for cards with N streak (I know there’s the native “ignore answer feature”, but sometimes I spam Enter twice because of silly overconfidence)

That’s a fair point, I was thinking you were referring to items with a 1-1 mapping like shibuya ↔ 渋谷.
I assumed toukyou was one of those without checking.

By 塀暗 I merely meant that ‘heian’ doesn’t inform you which characters are used in the word. Not a particularly valid reason to keep it in the question I have to admit.

I’ve added an issue to filter out the exact reading if it doesn’t result in an empty question.

2 Likes