Kaniwani: Kana or kanji?

I’ve recently started using the companion app kaniwani. It allows you to enter in romaji - just like wanikani - that it interprets into the kanji. Or, you can use your computer’s IME to input kanji directly.

My question is, which of these do you think would be a more valuable way to practice? Type things in purely with kana, or use an IME to convert them to kanji before entering?

2 Likes

Probably the kana, because if you use kanji you can type the wrong pronunciation to get the right kanji.

For instance にち instead of ひ

EDIT: ま and あいだ are actually a bad example so I removed that.

2 Likes

Best use for me is writing kanji on paper, kana on screen and then check that everything matches :slight_smile:

With an IME, if you are not sure about rendaku and okurigana, you can try all variants until it spits out something you find reasonable… So kana is more of a challenge in that way.

1 Like

Aye, kana, here. The goal is to be sure you know the actual sounds, so using IME features beyond kana production could be a hindrance, as an unnoticed crutch.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.