KaniWani - English to Japanese Recall Tool

Nice work, Sundar!

This is great. Thanks for sharing.

ありがとうございます!

Does this track and record progress?  I’ve noticed the review counter, but it doesn’t seem to decrease for me.

Also, how lenient is it with synonyms and similar words?  There seem to be quite a few vocab words with the same or nearly the same meaning (such as important, first, end, last time); without any sort of prompting for one word over another, I could see getting something wrong quite often.  (To be fair, wanikani doesn’t provide much differentiation in its definitions)

As far as I can tell the review and lesson counters are your normal WaniKani reviews and lessons.

This doesn’t work for me at all. I’ve tested with both Firefox and Chrome:

Extremely useful, very good.
I only would like to know how it deals with words that have several ways to be written in Japanese (in a WaniKani point of view)?

amclean said... As far as I can tell the review and lesson counters are your normal WaniKani reviews and lessons.
Yeah, sorry if that was unclear. I just figured it'd be helpful to know how many reviews/lessons you currently had while using the tool. This doesn't affect your actual WaniKani reviews at all (it's just a display)

edsonjunior said... Extremely useful, very good.
I only would like to know how it deals with words that have several ways to be written in Japanese (in a WaniKani point of view)?

There's no synonym lenience at all,  I'm afraid. There's no consequence for a wrong answer, though.

AgentAbacus said... Are you supposed to use an IME to type the word or kanji or are you just supposed to type in the reading in kana?
 It uses WaniKani's IME so no external IME required. Whatever you type into the box comes out as kana.

Calion said... This doesn't work for me at all. I've tested with both Firefox and Chrome: ![](upload://jKt4AgfGLJK30ppcrgnJ82Tc5E0.png)
 Hmm, that page works for me, would you mind screenshotting the console (Ctrl+shift+J on Chrome) to see if it's an error?

Gives an error 503, service unavailable:

Calion said... Gives an error 503, service unavailable:

Huh. That's really odd.

According to https://www.wanikani.com/api a 503 status is only sent if you've reached the API limit (100 requests per hour) but your level/lessons/reviews seem to work, so I'm not sure that's the case. You may want to try emailing hello@wanikani.com; I don't think it's an issue on the client-side.

Could you make it so it accepts multiple readings for each word?

I tried doing “Language” and it only takes only possible translation.

”げんご”
”ことば”

SoxKeepYouWarm said... Could you make it so it accepts multiple readings for each word?

I tried doing "Language" and it only takes only possible translation.

”げんご”
”ことば”
 I could probably attempt synonym support, but it would likely not work well.

For げんご and ことば, isn't it simple to differentiate between the two since ことば has additional meanings besides 'language',  whereas げんご is just "language, a language"?  I take your point, though: I'll look into it for sure, and I'll probably try implementing it some time to see how it is. Thanks for the suggestion.

Great idea. Have been hoping for something like this on the site for a while. Thank you :slight_smile: Good for a quick practise

Oo this looks extremely awesome! ありがとうございます!!

My only criticism so far would be to make it a little more user-friendly, as in maybe having a dropdown box for answers when you get something wrong like the wanikani one. It just would make messing up and learning from it a little more friendly. 

It also seems to be really sort of random what appears (which isn’t a bad thing), but it might be a little more efficient to be given the option to be able to do it by individual levels, or keep up with the reivews as they come up on Wanikani, In addition to the option of randomly cycling.

But this looks like it could be extremely useful! Thanks alot!

How do I get the correct to appear when I get something wrong? Hovering over the right/wrong bar doesn’t do it anymore, do I need to press something now?

IAmKale said... How do I get the correct to appear when I get something wrong? Hovering over the right/wrong bar doesn't do it anymore, do I need to press something now?
 Yeah, you need to press 'f' after you get something wrong, sorry.

ありがとうございます。This is extremely useful and is showing me how badly I do on meaning to word :slight_smile:

I’ve seen the API give out HTTP 503 errors randomly before; the probability of it erroring seems to be related to the total number of items requested.

Also it doesn’t show the correct answer for me when I hover over the red bar.

Another thing you haven’t specified an API version, you should put either “v1.1” or “v1.2” after api. (Ex. “…/api/<version>/user/…”)

amclean said... I've seen the API give out HTTP 503 errors randomly before; the probability of it erroring seems to be related to the total number of items requested.

Also it doesn't show the correct answer for me when I hover over the red bar.

Another thing you haven't specified an API version, you should put either "v1.1" or "v1.2" after api. (Ex. ".../api/<version>/user/...")
 Hmm, I've no idea then, it might be an issue with the tool requesting so much data in one go.

I changed it from on-hover to a shortcut key 'f' to show the correct readings if you get it wrong.

I'll do that now.
Sundar said...
amclean said... I've seen the API give out HTTP 503 errors randomly before; the probability of it erroring seems to be related to the total number of items requested.

Also it doesn't show the correct answer for me when I hover over the red bar.

Another thing you haven't specified an API version, you should put either "v1.1" or "v1.2" after api. (Ex. ".../api/<version>/user/...")
 Hmm, I've no idea then, it might be an issue with the tool requesting so much data in one go.

I changed it from on-hover to a shortcut key 'f' to show the correct readings if you get it wrong.

I'll do that now.
 I've mentioned it in a few threads and sent some emails to Viet but he hasn't responded about it. It is intermittent but it makes it increasingly difficult to use some scripts as your level increase. You could work around it by allowing us to select a level range to review, it doesn't seem to be too frequent until you get above 20 levels worth of data.

EDIT: You should use v1.1 if you can because it doesn't include user notes or synonyms it has less data to return which might increase the success rate.

EDIT2: Based on some testing I have done it seems that requests large enough to take more than 30 seconds will fail, probably due to a server side timeout.