KaniWani disappeared in the Play Store

Hello everyone!
My KaniWani app just informed me that there’s a new version of KaniWani available. When I checked the Play Store to upgrade, I couldn’t find KaniWani anywhere… Did they take it offline? :scream:

KaniWani has an app?

2 Likes

Yup

1 Like

Isn’t that a shortcut of the browser version?.. :thinking:

4 Likes

Is it? It doesn’t open the browser though. It opens an app. And why - if it was just a browser interface - should I get the info to update the app?
I’m confused :exploding_head:

Could be wrong but it doesn’t look like just an interface through the browser, looks like someone made an app using the same assets as Kaniwani.

One day I got a notification from Chrome saying that I could create some sort of shortcut. This is what it looks like:

I also have one for the WK forums.

2 Likes

If KaniWani was written as a ‘progressive web app’, that would closely mimic the look and feel of a native app. Especially if you use something like Onsen UI. If you ‘install to desktop’, or whatever the correct phrasing is, that’ll even have it hide the address bar and such, but it’s still just opening the website in it’s own browser window
I know I’ve gotten the notification of my computer that it’s been updated and needs s refresh. Never looked at it on cell.

1 Like

TIL @jprspereira lives in Best Korea :rofl:

2 Likes

THANK YOU FOR NOTICING HAHAHA

No way I was going to give the name of my village with only 3000 people :rofl:

3 Likes

Well thought. If you live in north Portugal and I happen to go to your town I could very well ask for you and show your photo to locate you and invite you to some coffee and natas.

2 Likes

Go to the site in Chrome, and if it doesn’t prompt you, then tap the 3- dot menu at the top-right and choose “add to home screen.”

1 Like

You don’t need to ask someone else to make that happen mate :heart:

2 Likes

Like @DaisukeJigen said, KaniWani is a Progressive Web App (PWA) and you guys installed it via your Chrome browser.
And it needed an update, as you can see in the log.
Kinda cool that PWAs nowadays apparently really are indistinguishable from native apps!

BTW: Does anyone know which framework KaniWani uses?

2 Likes

I suppose you can figure that out easily looking at their Github page?

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks, did not know they are open source!

2 Likes

Hey everyone, yeah KW is a PWA so you can install to homescreen → run it as a standalone app (though it’s really just a separate instance of a web browser with minimal ui). It’s not on the play store - it’s still just a website with appy capabilities. By the end of the year you will probably be able to install to windows/osx as a desktop app (though again, almost the same as visiting website and going full screen, but still pretty cool).

@Chiv There’s a backend api made by @Tadgh11 with Django, and the frontend is by me in React.

2 Likes

To update all you have to do is close and open the app / browser tab. The notification is there for tab hoarders who leave tabs open for days (weeks… months… :angrykoichi:) and might stay on an old version without realising.

2 Likes

Oh… yeah… that’s me! :joy: Thanks for the help, everyone! :heart: