JLPT anyone?

Gonna take N2 in December, pretty confident I’ll pass it. N1 is still too much for me though.
What about you?

6 Likes

For a lot of people, it’s not an option. People have been sharing their plans in the main thread.

9 Likes

I would’ve liked to have taken the N5 this December as I’ve just started Japanese learning during quarantine, but I can’t take it until next December, so I’m thinking maybe N4 then? But yeah it’s super unfortunate for a lot of people, although I guess fortunate at the same time considering I got to start this hobby.

7 Likes

I was gonna take N1 this year but can’t anymore :cry: So I’m going to take it next year instead… :sunglasses: So no excuse to fail I’ve had two years to study!

13 Likes

Me, too! Aiming for summer 2021. I know you do a lot of vocab study. What are resources you use? Or do you note the words you come across in native content?

頑張ろうね!

3 Likes

I would like to take the N5 soon too, hopefully in December 2021. Though by then I might be at N4 level but taking N5 doesn’t hurt…

1 Like

Except it costs money…

2 Likes

At first I just used a bunch of N1 vocab lists online (About the JLPT is a good one) and then I got the vocab/kanji books for Sou Matome. (The kanji book contains a loooot of vocab lol)
I do a lot of online quizzes for N1 as well and take notes of any words I don’t know, and put them in Kitsun o/ :sparkles:
And then sometimes I use Torii for review.
Besides that, I use a lot of Native material. I’m reading a chapter of manga everyday, a few pages of my novel, and some vns every now and then. So I collect all the words I don’t know and learn them throughout the day when I have time ^0^

I did something similar. I went for N3 last year instead of N2 (Which I now believe I could have passed…) and to be honest I think it was a good thing. It gave me some time to make sure I had all the basics down and gave me more confidence with my Japanese.
Good luck!! O:

5 Likes

Thank you ;w; @Whologist

1 Like

+1 for the tanos lists, they’re pretty solid
+1 for Sou Matome, one of my iTalki tutors used it for reviewing material with me

I’d also like to add Shin Kanzen Master to the list. I’ve been able to escape the plateau of lower intermediate Japanese thanks to them. They have separate books for Kanji, Vocab, Reading, Listening, and Grammar for N3 and up. N4 has most of the books too.

3 Likes

A lot of links on that site seem broken to me (for example all the test level checks), is it working for anyone else?

2 Likes

Some are broken for me too, but the downloads seem to still work. Try the pdfs at the bottom of each level’s page?

For vocabulary I found soumatome to have a lot of errors, would definitely not recommend. I’ve been trying the new kanzen master vocabulary books (the small ones, with the red plastic sheet) and they seem much better.

Do you still have them? Any examples?

2 Likes

I actually do ^0^/
But not for Japanese.
Because the writers are originally Japanese, sometimes there’s some weird or incorrect English words in it.
For example, it called a fire hydrant a “fire plug” and a few of the verbs feel out of place. Nothing is really incorrect on the Japanese side as far as I can tell, just sometimes doesn’t translate well to English…
Sometimes it’s difficult to understand what they’re trying to convey but it’s nothing a quick google/Jisho/whatever can’t fix

5 Likes

Who? Fail?

I know these words, bit they don’t make sense together in a sentence like that :thinking:

2 Likes

EHHHH OHISASHIBURIIIII
But also n-no u! O:< :heart:

2 Likes

I have them somewhere but I can’t remember the specific errors. Like whologist said, the issue was with the English. I’d run into weird or incorrect translations often.

1 Like

I will take N3 this December, it is happening in Japan (Okinawa :p). I really need to work harder on the grammar!
Wanikani has helped me a lot with kanji, it’s crazy how well it has worked so far.

1 Like

I’m not sure what the overseas’s testing locations are looking like (e.g. will it happen? dunno), but I do know that it (to the best of my knowledge) is still planning to happen within Japane (#Chugoku-chihou). I’m shooting for N2. The only worry I have (which is why I haven’t gone for N1) is reading. I’m a naturally slow reader in English, let alone Japanese, so yeah absolutely terrified on that front. But hey, it do what it do

2 Likes