Jlpt 2018! (Results are now online!)

I’m thinking about taking it in December (it’s not available in July in the US unfortunately). I took the N4 a few years ago when I lived in Japan and failed it. So I would retake that unless I feel really ready for N3 by the time it comes time to register.

For those of you that have taken the tests after using Wanikani, after which levels in Wanikani did you feel ready for which JLPT levels?

Now that I know I passed N2, there’s no doubt it’s time to go for N1. I’ll try to do it in Japan as well.

It’s gonna be a lot of work.

e: Nope, not this summer.

11 Likes

@xBl4ck Nice! We’ll be sitting in the same hall then, I assume. Since when have you been learning? I’m still struggling to get into a regular schedule for learning grammar.

@irrelephant Unfortunately not for December. I would have taken the exam in Stuttgart because it’s closer and I don’t have to stay overnight. But the summer exam is only in Düsseldorf and Hamburg. So for money reasons I’ll take the winter exam in Stuttgart. Do love me some ramen and soba while I’m in Düsseldorf though!

I think I’ll take the N2 in December. I’m currently in the process of applying for a teach-abroad scheme that pays for flights/food/accommodation, which if I get a place on will finally let me visit Japan and get some more immersive listening practice! Reading-wise I’m almost at an N2 level - just need to brush up on a tiny bit of grammar and vocab, which I’ll do over the summer/after my exams in March.

Not sure how interested I am in taking the N1 - I definitely want to continue to work on my vocabulary post-N2, but I’m very unlikely to work in Japan in the future, and from what I’ve heard the material on the syllabus can be quite out-of-use?

3 Likes

I’ve been dabbling around with Japanese for quite a while, but I didnt get into a regular study schedule until ~4 Months ago. I’m on Team slow-and-steady though, so I’m not as advanced as I could be °-°
I’m also trying to get through Genki at a more regular pace, Grammar is the eternal nemesis :disappointed_relieved:
Bunpro has been helping somewhat, but it’s still a long way before I’m ready for the N5 exam :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

You sound exactly like me ;; We should be friends!

1 Like

Definitely got a love/hate relationship with Bunpro. Great for learning grammar, but also great for making me feel like garbage. There’s a good dozen or more N5 items I get wrong 125% of the time.

6 Likes

I’ve been playing with the idea of taking either N5 or N4 for months! I actually think I wall try to pass N4 in Decembre this year…but I’ll see if I feel confident enough, and if it is technically possible (I can’t take it in Begium, so I’ll have to go either to France or the UK).

2 Likes

Thanks for that. Just taken a look and think I will be using it often. (Also aiming for N5)

2 Likes

Definitely hoping to do N5 this year. Probably looking at December though with the state my grammar is in right now.

1 Like

Hoping to do N3 in December. I’m already nervous about it, haha.

2 Likes

Since I failed N2 I’m going to do it again in July. I only failed by 7 points, so I’m pretty sure I can pass next time and will be taking N1 in December.

4 Likes

Since I just barely made it for N3 in December I will take the full year to reinforce my N3 knowledge and prepare for the N2 in December :smiley:

US really needs to start offering July tests. And they need to do them in New York (not City).

1 Like

I was having trouble with Bunpro when I just used the recommended readings. Now I’m only activating those that I did in Genki (with tons of exercises to reinforce the memory). The Genki explanations also click with me. It’s working a lot better now. Not to say that I don’t still get a lot wrong.

If I was you, I’d tone down the new lessons on WK and get cracking on grammar :smiley:

1 Like

Agreed. I’m looking into taking it this year if I actually stick with things this time after my reset, and Toronto would be closest for me, but I’d have to deal with the hassle of border crossing. NYC, Philadelphia, and Boston are all a 5.5 - 6ish hour drive, but Toronto would only be 2.5. Not that I want to count on driving to any of them in December thanks to the weather. Somewhere in Western or Central NY would be amazing. Rochester would be ideal for me, because I live there. Syracuse might be a bit more central for the rest of the state though, to be fair.

Syracuse would be great, since I live outside there. I’ve taken it in Philly, 4-4.5 hour drive. Sucks. Especially when you fail. If I only had to drive 20 minutes to fail…

2 Likes

Ive always wanted to take the jlpt as a personal goal, I could pass n5 right now or study up for n4. The first of the tests in July is when I could be moving back to japan, so im not sure if it makes sense to take n5 right as im getting there when obviously over the next 6 months my Japanese level would be increasing daily. hmmmmmmm

1 Like

So you’ll be an ex-ex-ex-pat then? :smiley:

I was briefly wondering if I should try for N5 or N4 in July. But I thought my life is already stressful enough as it is. So I’d rather take the N5 first to get to know the test process and hopefully have a successful nice experience as a starting point instead of going for the N4, having more stress and then maybe failing and being demotivated. I can still go for the N4 in December.

2 Likes

LOL yes exactly

but also, I think i agree with you, N5 just to test the testing process. Just familiar with it so there’s a better chance of passing n4! Thats a great idea

2 Likes