Japanese Wikipedia is unreadable for me

Whenever I try to look up something in Japanese Wikipedia I see stuff like this:
image image etc.
To see bold kanji like this properly I need to copy them over somewhere else, which is a huge waste of time IMHO. Is there some other way of handling this?

3 Likes

If it makes you feel better, once you’ve studied those kanji, you’ll be able to recognize them even in that style.

But, in the meantime, have you tried zooming the scale of the page?

9 Likes

You could install Rikaichan/Rikaikun or Yomichan.

3 Likes

If it makes you feel better, once you’ve studied those kanji, you’ll be able to recognize them even in that style.

I thought so too, but it’s going to take some time.

But, in the meantime, have you tried zooming the scale of the page?

Yes. It only works if there are empty spaces between the strokes. If it’s a monolithic blob, zooming in just results in a bigger blob. :persevere:

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll check this out.

Are you actually changing the scale? Because vector fonts should just adjust their size to the scale smoothly. This is what it looks like on my computer at 100% and 200%. Which I do with Ctrl+Scroll wheel.

Or here’s one of the ones you mentioned specifically at 200%

7 Likes

Yep, I’m pressing Ctrl-+ to zoom in, and Ctrl-scroll has the same effect for me (Google Chrome on Linux). May I ask what browser are you using?

100%

150%

On Windows. But I used Linux in the past and it worked fine.

This looks like an issue with your browser and/or font rendering. Chrome (on Windows):

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.