Increase kanjis size? I can barely distinguish them in the browser

I can barely read kanjis I already know in Youtube, for example, and I can’t distinguish ブ from プ already, is there a way to increase the size of kanjis, hiragana and katakana in Google Chrome?

I don’t want the restrain the amount of text I can read at the same time, however, japanese writing systems are something else and I can’t read them as it stands now

This may be occurring due to a 1920x1080 resolution (I don’t want to imagine in 4K)

Any ideas?

In Windows you can set your computer to zoom everything. (I assume other operating systems can do this to, but I don’t know for sure.) When I moved up from a 720p to 1080p laptop, I set the zoom to 125%. On my 4k work laptop, the zoom is set to 200%.

Windows zoom screenshot

You can also set the default page zoom in Chrome if you prefer a solution that just impacts Chrome.

Chrome zoom screenshot

I have no idea how to just change the size of Japanese text if that’s all you truly want.

2 Likes

Not on desktop right now, but in the YT app I can go to settings → captions → adjust size

1 Like

Yeah, I’d rather end up increasing the overall font size than zooming in, tbh I feel claustrophobic at 125%.

But yeah, my idea is to only increase the size of japanese text

I don’t have issues in the phone, they are easy to read

dunno about Chrome, but on Firefox you can zoom into any page with a keyboard shortcut or a touchpad gesture. i imagine that ought to work on Chrome too

early on when i’d just started learning japanese i had several pages/sites which i just kept permanently zoomed in.

it’s got the advantage that you don’t have to modify anything else

1 Like

I can read almost everything clearly on wanikani although my eyesight is not as sharp as it used to be. I do sometimes have trouble distinguishing ぶ from ぷ as you say. In those cases a quick ctrl + will zoom in so I can make sure what I’m looking at, then I return to normal view with ctrl 0. Fast and easy.

All solutions I see are for ZOOMing everything. In theory, I think one could CSS styling with the Stylus addon to change the size of only the Japanese characters but I’m horrible with CSS and HTML so I cannot provide an actual implemention.

UPDATE: I look at my unused Tampermonkey userscripts and found one that works (Firefox, I have not tried with Chrome). I could not see the developer info or find in it in Tampermonkey but I’m sure is identical to the one in this repository, userscripts/enlargeJapanese.user.js at master · IllDepence/userscripts · GitHub
For me, it worked but it really messed the furigana since the script does not change the size proportionally. Here is the code sorry I cannot find who was the author. To test it, click Tampermonkey icon > Dashboard > + (plus sign to add an script) > copy and paste the code below.

// ==UserScript==
// @name enlargeJapanese
// @namespace enlargeJapanese
// @description enlarge Japanese text
// @include *
// ==/UserScript==

var minFontSize = 32;
var jPatt = /[\u3000-\u303f\u3040-\u309f\u30a0-\u30ff\uff00-\uffef\u4e00-\u9faf\u3400-\u4dbf]+/g;

/*

• http://salaciak.blogspot.de/2011/02/javascript-dom-how-to-get-elements.html
    */
    function elementCurrentStyle(element, styleName){
    if (element.currentStyle){
    var i = 0, temp = “”, changeCase = false;
    for (i = 0; i < styleName.length; i++)
    if (styleName[i] != ‘-’){
    temp += (changeCase ? styleName[i].toUpperCase() : styleName[i]);
    changeCase = false;
    } else {
    changeCase = true;
    }
    styleName = temp;
    return element.currentStyle[styleName];
    } else {
    return getComputedStyle(element, null).getPropertyValue(styleName);
    }
    }

/*

• sirtetris
    */

function getEnlarged(text) {
return text.replace(jPatt, ‘$&’);
}

function enlargeOnlyInnerMost(elem) {
if(elem.nodeName == “TEXTAREA”) return;
if(elem.hasChildNodes()) {
var cn = elem.childNodes;
for(var i=0; i<cn.length; i++) {
enlargeOnlyInnerMost(cn[i]);
}
}
else {
// at this point elem is a text node or an empty element
if(elem.textContent.length <= 1 && elem.nodeType == 1) {
// an empty element
if(elem.hasAttribute(‘value’)) {
if(elem.value.search(jPatt) > -1) {
elem.style.fontSize = minFontSize+‘px’;
}
}
return;
}
if(elem.nodeType == 3) {
// a text node
var paret = elem.parentNode;
if(elementCurrentStyle(paret, “font-size”).replace(“px”,“”) >= minFontSize) {
return;
}
if(paret.childNodes.length == 1) {
// a node with only text in it. it’s save to just insert < and >
paret.innerHTML = getEnlarged(paret.innerHTML);
}
else {
// node with tags in it. be sure to not insert < and > inside of them
var toDo = (elem.nodeValue.match(jPatt) || Array());
for(var i=0; i<toDo.length; i++) {
paret.innerHTML = paret.innerHTML.replace(toDo[i], ‘’+toDo[i]+‘’);
}
}
}
}
}

enlargeOnlyInnerMost(document.body);

I browse WK and WK Community at 120% page zoom to more easily catch the nuances in Japanese characters.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.