Japanese Language Blog

Heyo everyone,

I’m going to start a daily blog for my Japanese learning journey.

Japanese Learning History

So I’ll start off about the my Japanese history.
I started learning Japanese in primary school, at about Grade 3 and learned it all the way up to Year 10. I wouldn’t say my Japanese was amazing, I knew basic sentences and recognised common words and knew basic kanji as well, like my numbers kanji. But I dropped it in Yr 11 since I didn’t want to take it as a subject that would contribute to my Yr 12 score, and since I enjoyed learning the language, having the pressure of excelling in it to the standard that it didn’t bring down my final score, made pull out of the subject. So I didn’t really continue learning till I hit university in 2020, where I discovered my love for anime, and found wanikani.

So I’ve actually been part of the wanikani community since 2020, and I was really enthusiastic and i eventually made the decision to become a lifetime member! However COVID struck and it was really hard to keep going with reviews. From August 2021 to April 2022, i barely touched wanikani, and i was sitting at Lvl 9.

So i decided to reset everything. Start a clean state. So I’m back to Lvl 1, and on Day 6 of my new journey.

To keep me motivated, I’m going to post on my board every day to, even if its just 1 sentence.

I hope for those who follow me, I’m able to motivate you to continue on your Japanese journey as well!

ありがとう、
angie

Day 7

DAY 7
FYI I posted this yesterday, but someone told me it would be better to just reply to this thread so that’s what I’m going to do :grin:! But I thought I’ll make little Sub-Sections in the main post as well. I’ll be doing Day 8 later today!

Yo so it’s Day 7.
And well nothing much is happening. Since I’ve started from the start the kanji is pretty straightforward and there’ll all pretty common.

Like you’re numbers 一、八 and other kanji like, 大、人、力.

It’s definitely weird to be doing really easy kanji that I personally am well versed in, but I think it’s nice. At least it’s not straight off the bat.

じゃね、
angie

Day 8

Day 8

Well my wanikani lessons are going pretty well so far! Like I mentioned yesterday. I’m not really struggling since the kanji and radicals are all pretty familiar.

I also started watching Spy x Family and it is soooo good. Anya is a little angel lmao. I think watching anime and Japanese movies definitely help you with your learning. For me personally, it’s the easiest way to be exposed to the language.

じゃね、
angie

Day 9

Day 9
I’ve finally unlocked my vocab lessons for Lvl 1 and 28 of them as well…but I didn’t start them yet :sweat_smile: today’s been such a hectic day I thought I’ll just do my reviews and then start in vocab tomorrow!

じゃね、
angie

Day 10

Day 10
おはようみなさん!

Have you noticed that I’ve started using more Japanese in my blogs! Guess I’ll try using Japanese where I can! But I’ve started vocab, I forgot how we have おんよみ and くんよみ readings :unamused: but I guess I’m going to have to suck it up! But here’s a little application of my learning! Oh did I mention I’ve been using Genki as well? Well now y’all know :grin:
私は二つの車です。

I have two cars.

じゃね、
angie

Day 11

Day 11
おはやよう!

Today I finally reached Lvl 2 :partying_face: Took me quicker than I thought but I guess that’s to be expected since Lvl 1 is pretty easy! Well I guess I better start smashing out the Lvl 2 lessons now!

じゃね、
angie

Day 12

Day 12
Today I’ve come across vocab that have have the same kanji but have different readings, it’s so easy to use the standard readings and forgot that these are exceptions, but I guess its a learning curve. Some of them were, 「大した」and 「大きさ」and 「大きさ」

じゃね、
angie

Day 14

Day 14
URGH I FORGOT TO DO MY REVIEWS AND BLOG YESTERDAY!!! kinda sad about it, but yesterday was pretty hectic and it completely slipped my mind…but I’m back on track. My reviews are going pretty well so far, I’m making more typos than actual mistakes which i think is good…well

じゃね、
angie

Day 15

Day 15
Something I just realised is that, saying the answers out aloud helps me memorize the answers…should of done that earlier.

じゃね、
angie

Day 16

Day 16
Well so far so good, the radicals and kanji has been pretty straight forward so far. I think the only radical that trips me up so far in Lvl 2 is 「文」、like how is this supposed to be ‘writing’. the mnemonic doesn’t really help either. But I guess I can’t do much. It’s just gonna have to be memorised through brute force.

じゃね、
angie

Day 17

Day 17
Since I’ve restarted Wanikani, I’ve only been doing a max of 15 reviews a day, just to pace myself. I’ve found it a lot more helpful!

じゃね、
angie

Day 19

Day 19
こんにちは!
I did it again, I missed a day! Urgh but I’m owning up to it, yesterday was just so hectic and draining I just did the reviews and went to sleep…well more like played Genshin Impact.

But today has been eh nothing too interesting.

じゃね、
angie

Day 20

Day 20
Phew, kinda binged a few reviews, which I think I’m going to regret :upside_down_face: but we’ll cross the bridge when we get there.

It’s nice to be able to have a consistent activity to do during the day, it’s quite satisfying, and honestly the wanikani, my brain kinda resets, and I can focus better on my studies…wonder if it’s cause I’m thinking/doing something in another language and my primary language is English so my brain gets rewired.

じゃね、
angie

Day 21

Day 21
Phew, I’ve started noticing that my review pile is slowly getting bigger, but that’s to be expected. Like I mentioned previously, if I feel like the reviews are getting overwhelming I’ll just slow down on the lessons, just to get a reprieve. But it is soooo satisfying when you get through a decent sized pile of reviews :smiling_face:

じゃね、
angie

Day 22

Day 22

GUYS I FINALLY HIT MY FIRST 0 LESSONS + 0 REVIEWS…but this’ll only last for like 2 hours :smiling_face_with_tear: but still an achievement!

じゃね、
angie

Day 23

Day 23
I woke up today to a bunch of reviews and I think because I was still half asleep, I messed up a good quarter of them. So I learned a lesson there to not do my wanikani lessons while I’m still trying to wake up!

I also downloaded the Level Duration script, I find it pretty useful, I think knowing how long you have left till you finish the level is pretty nice.

じゃね、
angie

Day 25

Day 25
And I’ve done it again, I missed a day :smiling_face_with_tear:
But I reached LEVEL 3!!! WHOOP WHOOP!!!

Now I just got to get through a bunch of vocab lol

じゃね、
angie

Day 26

Day 26
こんにちは!

I just realised today that the WaniKani Heatmap Script also tracks your streak! Well I have an unflattering streak rate of 13 days at the moment :sweat_smile:

On another note, today I’m going to a Japanese restaurant for dinner, I haven’t been there in ages but I’m really excited! I feel like I haven’t had proper Japanese food in ages!

じゃね、
angie

Day 27

Day 27
Ok I’m sure that everyone at some point, rushes their reviews cause they just want to get them done. Well me too! And boy did that stuff me over.
I’m at the point of my reviews/lessons where I’m getting vocab with the knaji 「月」and 「日」and cause I’m speed running them I GET THEM MIXED UP!!!

But that’s my rant for the week lol

じゃね、
angie

Day 28

** Day 28**
Today I’ve had more frequent reviews but in smaller bunches. A lot of my reviews from Level 1 is also hitting the Master level as well which I’m quite happy about! I wonder how much longer till I get my first burned review :thinking:

じゃね、
angie

Day 29

Day 29
To be honest, nothing much has been happening with wanikani right now, just grinding through reviews and lessons. I guess it’s mainly due to the fact I’ve done these levels before.

じゃね、
angie

Day 31

Day 31
Wow I can’t believe I’ve finished the first month of my learning blog! Thanks to everyone who showed interest in this little blog :smiling_face:

Like I mentioned earlier, it’s been pretty slow these last two, three days, and uni is reaching the pointy end, so I am drowning in assignments :’(

じゃね、
angie

15 Likes

Good luck

I’m going to post on my board every day

Sounds like a good plan! but try not to put too much pressure on yourself. Remember if you miss a day that it’s ok - the most important thing is that you’re still enjoying it.

5 Likes

Thanks!!! Definitely will keep that in mind :))

2 Likes

DAY 7
FYI I posted this yesterday, but someone told me it would be better to just reply to this thread so that’s what I’m going to do :grin:! But I thought I’ll make little Sub-Sections as well in the main post. I’ll be doing Day 8 later today!

Yo so it’s Day 7.
And well nothing much is happening. Since I’ve started from the start the kanji is pretty straightforward and there’ll all pretty common.

Like you’re numbers 一、八 and other kanji like, 大、人、力.

It’s definitely weird to be doing really easy kanji that I personally am well versed in, but I think it’s nice. At least it’s not straight off the bat.

じゃね、
angie

2 Likes

Day 8

Well my wanikani lessons are going pretty well so far! Like I mentioned yesterday. I’m not really struggling since the kanji and radicals are all pretty familiar.

I also started watching Spy x Family and it is soooo good. Anya is a little angel lmao. I think watching anime and Japanese movies definitely help you with your learning. For me personally, it’s the easiest way to be exposed to the language.

じゃね、
angie

2 Likes

Day 9
I’ve finally unlocked my vocab lessons for Lvl 1 and 28 of them as well…but I didn’t start them yet :sweat_smile: today’s been such a hectic day I thought I’ll just do my reviews and then start in vocab tomorrow!

じゃね、
angie

2 Likes

Day 10
おはようみなさん!

Have you noticed that I’ve started using more Japanese in my blogs! Guess I’ll try using Japanese where I can! But I’ve started vocab, I forgot how we have おんよみ and くんよみ readings :unamused: but I guess I’m going to have to suck it up! But here’s a little application of my learning! Oh did I mention I’ve been using Genki as well? Well now y’all know :grin:
私は二つの車です。

I have two cars.

じゃね、
angie

3 Likes

Day 11
おはやよう!

Today I finally reached Lvl 2 :partying_face: Took me quicker than I thought but I guess that’s to be expected since Lvl 1 is pretty easy! Well I guess I better start smashing out the Lvl 2 lessons now!

じゃね、
angie

2 Likes

Day 12
Today I’ve come across vocab that have have the same kanji but have different readings, it’s so easy to use the standard readings and forgot that these are exceptions, but I guess its a learning curve. Some of them were, 「大した」and 「大きさ」and 「大きさ」

じゃね、
angie

2 Likes

Day 14
URGH I FORGOT TO DO MY REVIEWS AND BLOG YESTERDAY!!! kinda sad about it, but yesterday was pretty hectic and it completely slipped my mind…but I’m back on track. My reviews are going pretty well so far, I’m making more typos than actual mistakes which i think is good…well

じゃね、
angie

2 Likes

Day 15
Something I just realised is that, saying the answers out aloud helps me memorize the answers…should of done that earlier.

じゃね、
angie

2 Likes

Day 16
Well so far so good, the radicals and kanji has been pretty straight forward so far. I think the only radical that trips me up so far in Lvl 2 is 「文」、like how is this supposed to be ‘writing’. the mnemonic doesn’t really help either. But I guess I can’t do much. It’s just gonna have to be memorised through brute force.

じゃね、
angie

3 Likes

Day 17
Since I’ve restarted Wanikani, I’ve only been doing a max of 15 reviews a day, just to pace myself. I’ve found it a lot more helpful!

じゃね、
angie

1 Like

Day 19
こんにちは!
I did it again, I missed a day! Urgh but I’m owning up to it, yesterday was just so hectic and draining I just did the reviews and went to sleep…well more like played Genshin Impact.

But today has been eh nothing too interesting.

じゃね、
angie

1 Like

Day 20
Phew, kinda binged a few reviews, which I think I’m going to regret :upside_down_face: but we’ll cross the bridge when we get there.

It’s nice to be able to have a consistent activity to do during the day, it’s quite satisfying, and honestly the wanikani, my brain kinda resets, and I can focus better on my studies…wonder if it’s cause I’m thinking/doing something in another language and my primary language is English so my brain gets rewired.

じゃね、
angie

1 Like

I think with things like these you need to use your imagination a bit and it’ll be easier! :smiley:

To me, it looks like a little desk with a pen sticking up so someone is writing there

I forgot how we have おんよみ and くんよみ readings :unamused: but I guess I’m going to have to suck it up!

Yup! It’s annoying, but it definitely is important otherwise it would be even harder to know what the correct answer is for Jukugo words! If you’re unsure you can work it out as long as you know the On’yomi.

Missing a day here or there isn’t a big deal this early on, it’ll become more of an issue in the later levels when you have hundreds of reviews stacked. So don’t worry about it too much for now.

Keep going, you’re doing great. :durtle_noice:

Thanks for the encouragement :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

It’s mainly really trippy when I have the kanji and the verb in the same review pile, like 「力」、kanji is 「りょく」 but verb is 「ちから」. But I think it’ll be better. I might just the ones I get mixed up the most write it on sticky notes and stick them to my wall :thinking:

1 Like

Day 21
Phew, I’ve started noticing that my review pile is slowly getting bigger, but that’s to be expected. Like I mentioned previously, if I feel like the reviews are getting overwhelming I’ll just slow down on the lessons, just to get a reprieve. But it is soooo satisfying when you get through a decent sized pile of reviews :smiling_face:

じゃね、
angie

1 Like

If I write "おんな” (vocab) instead of ”じょ” (kanji) for 女 when it’s asking for Kanji, I honestly usually just hit undo, then write じょ. Because I know both of them, I just get them mixed up, I was searching the forums to see if anyone else had this issue and it has been mentioned a few times by a few different people.

The response I’ve seen is that it gets easier when you get higher level, and you get more used to it.

It’s all down to personal preference though, as long as you’re learning.

I agree, and I think experience helps as well, like I use a sentence script where it gives a sentence for the vocab reviews, and it’s pretty helpful.

1 Like