Japanese Language Blog

Heyo everyone,

I’m going to start a daily blog for my Japanese learning journey.

Japanese Learning History

So I’ll start off about the my Japanese history.
I started learning Japanese in primary school, at about Grade 3 and learned it all the way up to Year 10. I wouldn’t say my Japanese was amazing, I knew basic sentences and recognised common words and knew basic kanji as well, like my numbers kanji. But I dropped it in Yr 11 since I didn’t want to take it as a subject that would contribute to my Yr 12 score, and since I enjoyed learning the language, having the pressure of excelling in it to the standard that it didn’t bring down my final score, made pull out of the subject. So I didn’t really continue learning till I hit university in 2020, where I discovered my love for anime, and found wanikani.

So I’ve actually been part of the wanikani community since 2020, and I was really enthusiastic and i eventually made the decision to become a lifetime member! However COVID struck and it was really hard to keep going with reviews. From August 2021 to April 2022, i barely touched wanikani, and i was sitting at Lvl 9.

So i decided to reset everything. Start a clean state. So I’m back to Lvl 1, and on Day 6 of my new journey.

To keep me motivated, I’m going to post on my board every day to, even if its just 1 sentence.

I hope for those who follow me, I’m able to motivate you to continue on your Japanese journey as well!

ありがとう、
angie

Day 7 - Day 50
Day 7

DAY 7
FYI I posted this yesterday, but someone told me it would be better to just reply to this thread so that’s what I’m going to do :grin:! But I thought I’ll make little Sub-Sections in the main post as well. I’ll be doing Day 8 later today!

Yo so it’s Day 7.
And well nothing much is happening. Since I’ve started from the start the kanji is pretty straightforward and there’ll all pretty common.

Like you’re numbers 一、八 and other kanji like, 大、人、力.

It’s definitely weird to be doing really easy kanji that I personally am well versed in, but I think it’s nice. At least it’s not straight off the bat.

じゃね、
angie

Day 8

Day 8

Well my wanikani lessons are going pretty well so far! Like I mentioned yesterday. I’m not really struggling since the kanji and radicals are all pretty familiar.

I also started watching Spy x Family and it is soooo good. Anya is a little angel lmao. I think watching anime and Japanese movies definitely help you with your learning. For me personally, it’s the easiest way to be exposed to the language.

じゃね、
angie

Day 9

Day 9
I’ve finally unlocked my vocab lessons for Lvl 1 and 28 of them as well…but I didn’t start them yet :sweat_smile: today’s been such a hectic day I thought I’ll just do my reviews and then start in vocab tomorrow!

じゃね、
angie

Day 10

Day 10
おはようみなさん!

Have you noticed that I’ve started using more Japanese in my blogs! Guess I’ll try using Japanese where I can! But I’ve started vocab, I forgot how we have おんよみ and くんよみ readings :unamused: but I guess I’m going to have to suck it up! But here’s a little application of my learning! Oh did I mention I’ve been using Genki as well? Well now y’all know :grin:
私は二つの車です。

I have two cars.

じゃね、
angie

Day 11 - LVL 2

Day 11
おはやよう!

Today I finally reached Lvl 2 :partying_face: Took me quicker than I thought but I guess that’s to be expected since Lvl 1 is pretty easy! Well I guess I better start smashing out the Lvl 2 lessons now!

じゃね、
angie

Day 12

Day 12
Today I’ve come across vocab that have have the same kanji but have different readings, it’s so easy to use the standard readings and forgot that these are exceptions, but I guess its a learning curve. Some of them were, 「大した」and 「大きさ」and 「大きさ」

じゃね、
angie

Day 14

Day 14
URGH I FORGOT TO DO MY REVIEWS AND BLOG YESTERDAY!!! kinda sad about it, but yesterday was pretty hectic and it completely slipped my mind…but I’m back on track. My reviews are going pretty well so far, I’m making more typos than actual mistakes which i think is good…well

じゃね、
angie

Day 15

Day 15
Something I just realised is that, saying the answers out aloud helps me memorize the answers…should of done that earlier.

じゃね、
angie

Day 16

Day 16
Well so far so good, the radicals and kanji has been pretty straight forward so far. I think the only radical that trips me up so far in Lvl 2 is 「文」、like how is this supposed to be ‘writing’. the mnemonic doesn’t really help either. But I guess I can’t do much. It’s just gonna have to be memorised through brute force.

じゃね、
angie

Day 17

Day 17
Since I’ve restarted Wanikani, I’ve only been doing a max of 15 reviews a day, just to pace myself. I’ve found it a lot more helpful!

じゃね、
angie

Day 19

Day 19
こんにちは!
I did it again, I missed a day! Urgh but I’m owning up to it, yesterday was just so hectic and draining I just did the reviews and went to sleep…well more like played Genshin Impact.

But today has been eh nothing too interesting.

じゃね、
angie

Day 20

Day 20
Phew, kinda binged a few reviews, which I think I’m going to regret :upside_down_face: but we’ll cross the bridge when we get there.

It’s nice to be able to have a consistent activity to do during the day, it’s quite satisfying, and honestly the wanikani, my brain kinda resets, and I can focus better on my studies…wonder if it’s cause I’m thinking/doing something in another language and my primary language is English so my brain gets rewired.

じゃね、
angie

Day 21

Day 21
Phew, I’ve started noticing that my review pile is slowly getting bigger, but that’s to be expected. Like I mentioned previously, if I feel like the reviews are getting overwhelming I’ll just slow down on the lessons, just to get a reprieve. But it is soooo satisfying when you get through a decent sized pile of reviews :smiling_face:

じゃね、
angie

Day 22

Day 22

GUYS I FINALLY HIT MY FIRST 0 LESSONS + 0 REVIEWS…but this’ll only last for like 2 hours :smiling_face_with_tear: but still an achievement!

じゃね、
angie

Day 23

Day 23
I woke up today to a bunch of reviews and I think because I was still half asleep, I messed up a good quarter of them. So I learned a lesson there to not do my wanikani lessons while I’m still trying to wake up!

I also downloaded the Level Duration script, I find it pretty useful, I think knowing how long you have left till you finish the level is pretty nice.

じゃね、
angie

Day 25 - LVL 3

Day 25
And I’ve done it again, I missed a day :smiling_face_with_tear:
But I reached LEVEL 3!!! WHOOP WHOOP!!!

Now I just got to get through a bunch of vocab lol

じゃね、
angie

Day 26

Day 26
こんにちは!

I just realised today that the WaniKani Heatmap Script also tracks your streak! Well I have an unflattering streak rate of 13 days at the moment :sweat_smile:

On another note, today I’m going to a Japanese restaurant for dinner, I haven’t been there in ages but I’m really excited! I feel like I haven’t had proper Japanese food in ages!

じゃね、
angie

Day 27

Day 27
Ok I’m sure that everyone at some point, rushes their reviews cause they just want to get them done. Well me too! And boy did that stuff me over.
I’m at the point of my reviews/lessons where I’m getting vocab with the knaji 「月」and 「日」and cause I’m speed running them I GET THEM MIXED UP!!!

But that’s my rant for the week lol

じゃね、
angie

Day 28

** Day 28**
Today I’ve had more frequent reviews but in smaller bunches. A lot of my reviews from Level 1 is also hitting the Master level as well which I’m quite happy about! I wonder how much longer till I get my first burned review :thinking:

じゃね、
angie

Day 29

Day 29
To be honest, nothing much has been happening with wanikani right now, just grinding through reviews and lessons. I guess it’s mainly due to the fact I’ve done these levels before.

じゃね、
angie

Day 31

Day 31
Wow I can’t believe I’ve finished the first month of my learning blog! Thanks to everyone who showed interest in this little blog :smiling_face:

Like I mentioned earlier, it’s been pretty slow these last two, three days, and uni is reaching the pointy end, so I am drowning in assignments :cry:

じゃね、
angie

Day 32

Day 32
Not gonna lie, I haven’t been doing my reviews throughout the day and I only remember like 10 mins before I sleep. I think I should put like a reminder every 4 hrs or so…hmmm but knowing me I’ll ignore that as well :laughing:

じゃね、
angie

Day 33

Day 33
Another day of reviews! Did some lessons, kinda bonged hopefully it won’t come back to bit me in the but.

But tomorrow, I won’t be posting because I have a 21st!!! So I’m busy with that! So I’ll be back in two days!

じゃね、
angie

Day 35

Day 35
I’m back! But I think I only have two brain cells left :laughing: Either way I learnt the poop radical today ahhh I remember learning it for the first time and was like how does this look like poop :thinking:

じゃね、
angie

Day 36

Day 36
Phew today was full of reviews! I don’t think I’ve had such a busy day with wanikani before but I really enjoy it!

じゃね、
angie

Day 37

Day 37
I GOT ZERO REVIEWS AND LESSONS WHOOP WHOOP :partying_face:

It so satisfying when I get it like this :smiling_face: make me feel like I achieved a milestone :smile:

じゃね、
angie

Day 39

Day 39
Guys I got ZERO ZERO AGAIN!!!

Phew i dont think will ever get old.

And yes I didn’t post anything yesterday, I’m in the middle of my final exams and assessments, so yesterday I had to pull an all nighter to finish off an assignment :cry:

じゃね、
angie

Day 40

** Day 40**
AGAIN IT HAPPENED AGAIN ZERO ZERO HEHEHHEHEEH

Oh also I think I’m like 2-3 days away till I level up to Level 4! So I’m excited for that.

I also re-learned the vocab「友人」for friend but the reading was 「ゆうじん」and that kinda put me off since I’ve always heard 「ともだち」as the reading for ‘friend’.

じゃね、
angie

Day 41

Day 41
no zero zeros today :cry:

But I just need to learn 10 more kanji for me to level up to LEVEL 4! I think I mentioned before that I would get to Level 4 in a couple days, I don’t think thats changed.

じゃね、
angie

Day 42

Day 42
And it’s gotten slow again :cry: but I actually don’t mind, since I’m in the middle of my final assessments :slight_smile:

But today I got some review that I hadn’t seen for a while so that was interesting. I’m pretty sure I got most of them right as well, which is good!

じゃね、
angie

Day 43 - LVL 4

Day 43
I LEVELLED UP TO LEVEL 4!!! :partying_face: :partying_face:
It took me 19 days to level up, that took longer than I expected. It’s probably cause I went slower with the lessons. But I’m happy I’ve levelled up, I feel like I got a my motivation back, which I was kinda losing!

じゃね、
angie

Day 44

Day 44
I went through quite a few vocab lessons today, and most of them were counters like 「一台」and 「二万」.

じゃね、
angie

Day 46

Day 46
Guys exams are killing me, hence why I didn’t post yesterday and today is a short session.

じゃね、
angie

Day 47

Day 47
Guys today I just couldn’t remember anything! Like I made so many silly mistakes during my reviews :cry:

じゃね、
angie

Day 48

Day 48
I hadn’t done any lessons in the past week, just cause I’ve been busy with school. But today I did about 15 or so lessons :slight_smile:

じゃね、
angie

Day 49

Day 49
There weren’t a lot of lessons today, usually I have lessons peppered through out the day, but most of them were concentrated in the afternoon today…it’s ok but something feels like I forgot to do something :laughing:

じゃね、
angie

Day 50

Day 50
wow I’ve hit a half-century! I’m actually proud of myself! Once I finish my exams, I’m going to treat myself to some good food :yum:

じゃね、
angie

Day 52 - Day 100
Day 52

Day 52
Guys I missed yesterday because I had an exam and it was a hardish one and because of that I kinda neglected my reviews yesterday and I had nearly 50 to do today morning :scream_cat: But now I’m done with my semester :partying_face: so I’m going to start learning grammar. I know some basics but I want to learn more. I have Genki 1, but just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to learn Japanese grammar efficiently.

じゃね、
angie

Day 53

Day 53
I spent today doing a couple extra lessons and tried my hand at actually writing the kanji I’ve learnt. My script is not the best tho lol

じゃね、
angie

Day 54

Day 54
urgh so many reviews…imma pause my lessons for a day or two

じゃね、
angie

Day 55

Day 55
Today’s been pretty quite to be honest. Nothing very exciting happened :smiling_face:

じゃね、
angie

Day 56

Day 56
I’ve started doing my lessons again!

じゃね、
angie

Day 57

Day 57
Today I had quite a few reviews. I also started watching ToKini Andy for grammar. I’ll see how that goes, hopefully it’ll be helpful.

じゃね、
angie

Day 58

Day 58
For Genki I’m wondering if I should have a separate book to do notes? Also is Tae Kim good for grammar, I’ve heard a lot of people talk about it.

じゃね、
angie

Day 61

Day 61
Omg I just realised skipped two days :scream:!!!

But today I did over 100 reviews, that kinda cool tho ahahah.

Also I think I’m about 2 days off from levelling up!!!

じゃね、
angie

Day 62

Day 62
I only have 10 more kanji till I LEVEL UP!!!

which will probably be tomorrow

じゃね,
Angie

Day 63

Day 63
Ok I’ll be honest, I still haven’t started any of my grammar studies :frowning_face:, let’s just say I’m a little nervous to take the next step but I’m actually going to start tomorrow. I think taking notes is the best way for me to understand and digest things, cause it works for uni so technically it should work for Japanese as well :sweat_smile:

But I’ll let you guys know tomorrow!

じゃね、
angie

Day 64 - LVL 5

Day 64
Ok there’s some bad news and some good news.

Bad news, I didn’t start my grammar studies :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

Good news, I LEVELLED UP TO LEVEL 5

So tomorrow, I’ll probably start grammar…heheheh…

じゃね、
angie

Day 66

Day 66
Hey guys, so I didn’t post yesterday, some things came up and I was just exhausted. But basically been working through my pile of 90 or so lessons from my level up.

じゃね、
angie

Day 69

Day 69
I’ve again missed two days, but that’s cause I’ve been low on sleep because of these events I’ve had to run, so I’ve barely been able to do my reviews let alone the blog.

But some good news, I’ve started to slowly do some grammar, for the first chapter’s conversation, I went and wrote the kanji for all the words I knew above it, and started listing the words I didn’t know.

I also wanted to restart doing KaniWani, but for some reason it won’t work for me. It keeps saying this

And I have no idea why!
If you know lemme know how I can fix it!

じゃね、
angie

Day 70

Day 70
I brought washi tape to make my notes look prettier lol…I don’t know how productive that will be but I guess we’ll find out :woman_shrugging:

じゃね、
angie

Day 71

Day 71
I figured out how to get my Kaniwani to work again! But since I didn’t start from the start, like along with my wanikani, I had like over 200 lessons. So I changed the settings to only having the vocabs show up in Kaniwani if I’ve passed Enlightened in Wanikani, so the pace of my lessons will be a lot more controlled and I won’t feel overwhelmed!

じゃね、
angie

Day 72

Day 72
Guys I’m so tired.

That’s it. Thanks for coming to my ted talk!

じゃね、
angie

Day 74

Day 74
Today I had like a bunch of reviews all throughout the day :weary:

じゃね、
angie

Day 75

Day 74
Again a bunch of reviews, today has been pretty straightforward.

じゃね、
angie

Day 76

Day 76
I got more lessons in my KaniWani, so that was nice. I definitely think I’ll be able to recall Japanese better by doing Kaniwani as well :smile:

じゃね、
angie

Day 77

Day 77
Same old same old. Lol that made me sound like an old person

じゃね、
angie

Day 78

Day 78
Ok so I started learning grammar using Kawaii Nihongo as well, and it’s pretty fun ngl and cuteee.

じゃね、
angie

Day 80

Day 80
I realised that back in Day 10 I said this :point_down:

Well I never really did it did I :thinking: ?

Well I’ll try and start doing it :sweat_smile:

今は冬です。

It’s winter now.

じゃね、
angie

Day 81

Day 81
Today’s been a long day and I’m so drained :weary:

わたしはくたくたです。

I’m exhausted.

じゃね、
angie

Day 82

Day 82

same old same old

じゃね、
angie

Day 83

Day 83
I did a bunch of reviews and did about 15 lessons, cause I haven’t done any in like agesssss and ate a lot of good food :yum:

Genshin Impact はだいすきです。

I love Genshin Impact

じゃね、
angie

Day 85 - LVL 6

Day 85
I missed another day :cry: but

I REACHED LEVEL 6!!! WHOOP WHOOP!!
now imma hit the hay

じゃね、
angie

Day 86

Day 86
I have to say KaniWani is really useful! Especially since I’ve put the setting to having lessons only come after I passed the Enlightened Stage on WaniKani.

I definitely recommend it to everyone, because we tend to struggle to recall the kanji when translating from English to Japanese.

じゃね、
angie

Day 88

Day 88
I missed another day :tired_face: I just started uni again, so I’m like all over the place, haven’t been able to do any grammar study either :frowning_face:

Hopefully by next week I’ll be able to get back into the swing of it!

今日はビジネスを勉強した。

Today I studied business.

じゃね、
angie

Day 89

Day 89
こんにちは!
Guys I just realised that I haven’t been doing any lessons for the past two weeks or so lolll. I was like why do I only have like 30 - 40 reviews a day.

じゃね、
angie

Day 90

Day 90
I love jukugo words, like they are sooo easy to remember. Like when I’m doing lessons, it is so easy to binge jukugo vocab.

じゃね、
angie

Day 91

Day 91
Guys I’m so tired…but a good tired I guess. I did so much work, I haven’t felt this productive in like agessss.

じゃね、
angie

Day 92

Day 92
私は冬をだいきらいです。

I hate winter.

じゃね、
angie

Day 96

Day 96
I missed a lot of days…it’s just been a little hectic and I’m like behind on some work which I’ll be able to catch up on tomorrow finally!

So hopefully from this week onwards I’ll be back on track.

じゃね、
angie

Day 97

Day 97
So I’m basically back on track YAY!!!

Little updates, I’m been hammered by a bunch of wanikani reviews rip lol.

For kaniwani, I’ve got more lessons more recently, so I’ve been getting some more lessons, but it’s veryyyyy manageable, which is nice.

じゃね、
angie

Day 98

Day 98
I woke up today and I didn’t have any reviews. I thought something was wrong with the server but there was nothing!

Ngl it kinda felt nice lol

じゃね、
angie

Day 100

Day 100
WHOOP WHOOP!!!
Been at it for 100 days!!! Thanks for being with me for the last 100 days!!!

じゃね、
angie

Day 102 - 150
Day 102

Day 102
Sorry guys I missed another day. I still haven’t settled into my schedule yet which is just frustrating!! But I’ve still been doing reviews so yay!!!

じゃね、
angie

Day 103

Day 103
Today was a day of pretty consistent reviews. It felt nice to not have to go through like a pile of 80 or so reviews just before I went to sleep.

じゃね、
angie

Day 104

Day 104
Damn it’s been a long day, but I kept up with my reviews. I’ve been pretty slow with my lessons tho, which I wanna pick up speed on.

じゃね、
angie

Day 105

Day 105
Guys what’s your favourite and worst part of learning Japanese?

For me my favourite part, is the knowledge, I personally like to learn new things, and learning a new language is just amazing! And I like the culture a lot!

The worst part is that it takes time or courage to take that first step! Like it’s very easy to get comfortable where you are and not want to step out of your comfort zone.

じゃね、
angie

Day 106

Day 106
It’s been a busy day guys! I’m so deaddd.

じゃね、
angie

Day 108

Day 108
I wish there was an app for the Wanikani community, it’ll be so much more easier to blog about my journey :smile:

But the past two days have been hectic and today I like took a break from everything (still did my review ahahah) and relaxed lol

じゃね、
angie

Day 111

Day 111
Ok so apparently I’ve stuffed up the days, I’m actually on Day 111 lolllllll. So I actually haven’t skipped like 3 days.

じゃね、
angie

Day 112

Day 112
I’ve really slowed down, like noticeably. I haven’t done lessons consistently in a while. But I think I need to slow down for another week or two tbh.

じゃね、
angie

Day 114

Day 114
Holy crap guys I don’t know what’s happening with me! I’m kinda falling behind but not. I dunno!!

Like today I have a bunch of reviews and I was not feeling it. I think I’m going through a slump :cry:

じゃね、
angie

Day 115

Day 115
I DID LESSONS!!! YAY! :partying_face:

It felt good to get the ball rolling again!

じゃね、
angie

Day 116

Day 116
Did another set of lessons! My kaniwani has also been picking up speed which is good, it feels good when I get lessons there, cause I know my wanikani is going ok!

じゃね、
angie

Day 120

Day 120
Ok so I’ve been missing for like 4 days. I had a family emergency, and I was living between the hospital and my house for those days. But everything is now fine! Just hella tired.

じゃね、
angie

Day 121

Day 121
I’ve been working through my review and lesson pile today, it feels nice to get back into it. Not gonna lie not doing any wanikani for like 2 days felt really wrong ahhaha

じゃね、
angie

Day 123

Day 123
こんにちは!
How are yall? Ah I’m quite enjoying my wanikani journey at the moment, like things are going a lot more smoothly than I thought it would!

じゃね、
angie

Day 124

Day 124
Today’s been another day of crunching through reviews but also lessons! Over the last couple days I started finally doing Lvl 6 lessons, which was definitely motivating considering what a week it’s been lol.

Hoping I can kind get through this level a ok as well :))

じゃね、
angie

Day 126

Day 126
Today was a pretty calm day, how about y’all? How have y’all been?

じゃね、
angie

Day 127

Day 127
Nothing new, just a bunch of reviews!

じゃね、
angie

Day 144

Day 144
Hey guys! It’s been a while, the last 2 - 3 weeks have been absolutely hectic. I haven’t been able to do anything for Jap but like some reviews, and even then it’s been a struggle. I’ll barely do 10 - 20 reviews. But everything is a lot calmer now thankfully and I’ll be back to my regular posts!!

So get ready for the bombardment of daily posts :))))

じゃね、
angie

Day 147

Day 147
I open up wanikani and i have 105 reviews and I was in shock wth!

Also I was watching the Queen’s funeral, was pretty cool.

じゃね、
angie

Day 148

Day 148
I feel like I’ve started learning kanji that is a bit more relevant or more common I guess. Stuff like 「耳打ち」and 「仕方がない」。

じゃね、
angie

Day 150 - LVL 7

Day 150
I HIT LVL 7!!! :partying_face:

The last month has been an absolute drag hence why it has taken me forever to level up. I just checked and it took me like 65 days to level up from Lvl 6.

But this is a massive boost of confidence + motivation!!!

じゃね、
angie

Day 151 - 200
Day 152

Day 152
I’ve started to work through my pile of lessons lol there is so much :sob:

じゃね、
angie

Day 154

Day 154
I’ve started hitting more enlightened reviews, so my lessons pile at Kaniwani has started to grow a lot more recently. It’s definitely another learning process trying to recall the kanji with only the English translation, but I really enjoy it. I find that I actually get to through the reviews quicker, cause I just have to type the kanji not the hiragana and English meaning like Wanikani.

じゃね、
angie

Day 155

Day 155
Ahhh I sometimes forget how easy it is to remember jukugo words!! I find I get them to the Guru level a lot quicker compared to other vocab words!

じゃね、
angie

Day 168

Day 168
And I disappeared again! Uni has been so busy lately, I’ve waking up and then studying and then sleeping and rinse and repeat!
大学をだいきらいです。

じゃね、
angie

Day 169

Day 169
I also realised that I didn’t stay on track with Kaniwani and damn there were like 200 reviews waiting for me :face_holding_back_tears:, but doing Kaniwani reviews is a lot more easier, not gonna lie, so I got through a bunch in a shorter amount of time.

じゃね、
angie

Day 256 - 300

Day 256 - COMEBACK
Hey guys! So it’s been nearly 100 days since I’ve posted on this and that’s because I lost all motivation. I think it was because of uni, my extra-curricular and also my internship just because so much time, I just didn’t have the energy to do my Japanese. I then went on holiday, well I technically still am, but I’m near the end of it, and I really needed it, so now I’m ready to get back into it.

I’m also going to change the way I’m going to do my daily blog as well. I’ll have my mini self-reflection piece or blog part but also my daily/weekly checklist.

Daily Checklist:

• Wanikani reviews
  • Bunpro reviews (yep I started doing bunpro, as I’ve been finding doing Genki by itself is good, but I tend to forgot the grammar points easily, so I’ll be using along with Genki)
  • Write a Japanese sentence

Weekly Checklist:

• Learn 3 Grammar points
  • 15 Wanikani Lessons (atm I won’t be doing this because I have like 500 reviews rip)
  • Watch 3 anime episodes or Read for 10 mins (Imma start of real slow with the reading lol)

I do want to set up some type of excel sheet which will keep track of these goals, so I can hold myself accountable.

Do let me know what y’all think of this!

じゃね、
angie

EDIT:
Daily Checklist:

Wanikani reviews - currently 34
Bunpro reviews - 13
Write a Japanese sentence
あの犬もかわいいですE

Day 257
So I finally sent up my excel!!! :raised_hands: I actually like it so much. At the end of the week, I’ll post the excel summary and its stats!

Daily Checklist:

• Wanikani reviews - currently 149
  • Bunpro reviews - currently 8
    これは私の父です。

Weekly Checklist:

• Learn 3 Grammar points - currently 6
  • 15 Wanikani Lessons (atm I won’t be doing this because of my massive review pile)
  • Watch 3 anime episodes or Read for 10 mins - currently 3 mins

じゃね、
angie

Day 258
So for the next week I might not be able to complete my blog daily since Ill be busy getting ready to travel back home!

Daily Checklist:

• Wanikani reviews - currently 23
  • Bunpro reviews - currently 6
    今何時ですか。

Weekly Checklist:

• Learn 3 Grammar points - currently 6
  • 15 Wanikani Lessons (atm I won’t be doing this because of my massive review pile)
  • Watch 3 anime episodes or Read for 10 mins - 10 mins

じゃね、
angie

Day 260
So I was travelling yesterday and didn’t have time to write my blog. Today I FINISHED MY MASSIVE PILE OF REVIEWS!!! So will be starting lessons this week yay!

Daily Checklist for 9/1:

• Wanikani reviews - 218
  • Bunpro reviews - 4
    あれは何ですか。

Daily Checklist for 10/1 (今日):

• Wanikani reviews - currently 95
  • Bunpro reviews - currently 6
    月だ。

じゃね、
angie

Day 261
Not much to report on, other than I really like Bunpro!

Daily Checklist:

• Wanikani reviews - currently 46
  • Bunpro reviews - currently 7
    あの学生は大学生ですか。

じゃね、
angie

19 Likes

Good luck

I’m going to post on my board every day

Sounds like a good plan! but try not to put too much pressure on yourself. Remember if you miss a day that it’s ok - the most important thing is that you’re still enjoying it.

5 Likes

Thanks!!! Definitely will keep that in mind :))

2 Likes

DAY 7
FYI I posted this yesterday, but someone told me it would be better to just reply to this thread so that’s what I’m going to do :grin:! But I thought I’ll make little Sub-Sections as well in the main post. I’ll be doing Day 8 later today!

Yo so it’s Day 7.
And well nothing much is happening. Since I’ve started from the start the kanji is pretty straightforward and there’ll all pretty common.

Like you’re numbers 一、八 and other kanji like, 大、人、力.

It’s definitely weird to be doing really easy kanji that I personally am well versed in, but I think it’s nice. At least it’s not straight off the bat.

じゃね、
angie

2 Likes

Day 8

Well my wanikani lessons are going pretty well so far! Like I mentioned yesterday. I’m not really struggling since the kanji and radicals are all pretty familiar.

I also started watching Spy x Family and it is soooo good. Anya is a little angel lmao. I think watching anime and Japanese movies definitely help you with your learning. For me personally, it’s the easiest way to be exposed to the language.

じゃね、
angie

2 Likes

Day 9
I’ve finally unlocked my vocab lessons for Lvl 1 and 28 of them as well…but I didn’t start them yet :sweat_smile: today’s been such a hectic day I thought I’ll just do my reviews and then start in vocab tomorrow!

じゃね、
angie

2 Likes

Day 10
おはようみなさん!

Have you noticed that I’ve started using more Japanese in my blogs! Guess I’ll try using Japanese where I can! But I’ve started vocab, I forgot how we have おんよみ and くんよみ readings :unamused: but I guess I’m going to have to suck it up! But here’s a little application of my learning! Oh did I mention I’ve been using Genki as well? Well now y’all know :grin:
私は二つの車です。

I have two cars.

じゃね、
angie

3 Likes

Day 11
おはやよう!

Today I finally reached Lvl 2 :partying_face: Took me quicker than I thought but I guess that’s to be expected since Lvl 1 is pretty easy! Well I guess I better start smashing out the Lvl 2 lessons now!

じゃね、
angie

2 Likes

Day 12
Today I’ve come across vocab that have have the same kanji but have different readings, it’s so easy to use the standard readings and forgot that these are exceptions, but I guess its a learning curve. Some of them were, 「大した」and 「大きさ」and 「大きさ」

じゃね、
angie

2 Likes

Day 14
URGH I FORGOT TO DO MY REVIEWS AND BLOG YESTERDAY!!! kinda sad about it, but yesterday was pretty hectic and it completely slipped my mind…but I’m back on track. My reviews are going pretty well so far, I’m making more typos than actual mistakes which i think is good…well

じゃね、
angie

2 Likes

Day 15
Something I just realised is that, saying the answers out aloud helps me memorize the answers…should of done that earlier.

じゃね、
angie

2 Likes

Day 16
Well so far so good, the radicals and kanji has been pretty straight forward so far. I think the only radical that trips me up so far in Lvl 2 is 「文」、like how is this supposed to be ‘writing’. the mnemonic doesn’t really help either. But I guess I can’t do much. It’s just gonna have to be memorised through brute force.

じゃね、
angie

3 Likes

Day 17
Since I’ve restarted Wanikani, I’ve only been doing a max of 15 reviews a day, just to pace myself. I’ve found it a lot more helpful!

じゃね、
angie

1 Like

Day 19
こんにちは!
I did it again, I missed a day! Urgh but I’m owning up to it, yesterday was just so hectic and draining I just did the reviews and went to sleep…well more like played Genshin Impact.

But today has been eh nothing too interesting.

じゃね、
angie

1 Like

Day 20
Phew, kinda binged a few reviews, which I think I’m going to regret :upside_down_face: but we’ll cross the bridge when we get there.

It’s nice to be able to have a consistent activity to do during the day, it’s quite satisfying, and honestly the wanikani, my brain kinda resets, and I can focus better on my studies…wonder if it’s cause I’m thinking/doing something in another language and my primary language is English so my brain gets rewired.

じゃね、
angie

1 Like

I think with things like these you need to use your imagination a bit and it’ll be easier! :smiley:

To me, it looks like a little desk with a pen sticking up so someone is writing there

I forgot how we have おんよみ and くんよみ readings :unamused: but I guess I’m going to have to suck it up!

Yup! It’s annoying, but it definitely is important otherwise it would be even harder to know what the correct answer is for Jukugo words! If you’re unsure you can work it out as long as you know the On’yomi.

Missing a day here or there isn’t a big deal this early on, it’ll become more of an issue in the later levels when you have hundreds of reviews stacked. So don’t worry about it too much for now.

Keep going, you’re doing great. :durtle_noice:

Thanks for the encouragement :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

It’s mainly really trippy when I have the kanji and the verb in the same review pile, like 「力」、kanji is 「りょく」 but verb is 「ちから」. But I think it’ll be better. I might just the ones I get mixed up the most write it on sticky notes and stick them to my wall :thinking:

1 Like

Day 21
Phew, I’ve started noticing that my review pile is slowly getting bigger, but that’s to be expected. Like I mentioned previously, if I feel like the reviews are getting overwhelming I’ll just slow down on the lessons, just to get a reprieve. But it is soooo satisfying when you get through a decent sized pile of reviews :smiling_face:

じゃね、
angie

1 Like

If I write "おんな” (vocab) instead of ”じょ” (kanji) for 女 when it’s asking for Kanji, I honestly usually just hit undo, then write じょ. Because I know both of them, I just get them mixed up, I was searching the forums to see if anyone else had this issue and it has been mentioned a few times by a few different people.

The response I’ve seen is that it gets easier when you get higher level, and you get more used to it.

It’s all down to personal preference though, as long as you’re learning.

I agree, and I think experience helps as well, like I use a sentence script where it gives a sentence for the vocab reviews, and it’s pretty helpful.

1 Like