January 7 2022 Content Updates

Thanks for this list! All romaji Tofugus should now be replaced. :yum:

7 Likes

Can the word 胡椒 be added to WaniKani? It means pepper. 胡椒 (こしょう)

The kanji 椒 is an uncommon 表外漢字(ひょうがいかんじ) not found on WK

Could 離れる have “to get away”/“to stay away” added as a meaning please? I have the anime context script installed and in about 16/20 (I only counted the first 20), the meaning in context was to move/get/stay away from a person. I would take a screenshot, but the scaling doesn’t work well, so I’d only get 2/20 sentences any given screenshot. @Mods

2 Likes

Hey DIO-Berry. Thanks for bringing this up! I will pass this along to the content team so they can take a look into it! :nerd_face:

1 Like

Thank you!

Also, can “art gallery” be added as a meaning for 画廊(がろう) please?

Added to the allow list. For 離れる, I just added “to stay away” but definitely use your user synonyms feature if you’d rather type ‘to get away’!

2 Likes

Sorry if I’m posting in the wrong place…
but…
Most Japanese people I hear pronounce 場合 as ばわい rather than ばあい. Could this be added as an alternate reading?

Some people do pronounce it like that, but it’s not an official reading. No dictionary lists that reading, so I don’t think there’s a reason for WaniKani to do it.

There’s some exceptions to how people pronounce some words, but it’s not technically correct.

1 Like

Huh, I never heard it that way

It is pretty common, I think. I do seem to hear it a lot more often from women, but I’m not sure if there’s a correlation. However it’s not technically “correct Japanese”.

1 Like

Weird, I’ve heard it from men in relatively technical situations. ばあい feels awkward to say. Oh well.

1 Like

Okay, still not sure if this the right place to report this, but why not swing twice and miss twice in one day.

The example sentence for 各地 reads:
テレビでを付けると、ちょうど各地の今日の天気が伝えられているところだった。
pretty sure 付ける should be 点ける, and that the wrong kanji was used by mistake?

I read the example sentences on pretty much every review I do, and sometimes I think I notice mistakes, but I am too nervous to be stupid and suggest them. Is this a mistake? If so, where should I post in the future when I see them. If not, I’ll stop talking about it, because what do I know anyway?

Thanks for the suggestions @kokopelli121123!

I’ve changed 付ける to 点ける in the 各地 context sentence. Thank you for catching that!

As others have pointed out, ばわい isn’t an official pronunciation of 場合, so I’ve added a warning shake for it, since it is something that you can hear from Japanese speakers.

The best ways to send us suggestions are by email (hello@wanikani.com) or on chat, but we’ll usually spot them if you post them on these threads too. :grinning:

3 Likes

FWIW the dictionary I use does have an entry for ばわい, although it does tag it as « colloquialism », and says it is « spoken variant of 場合 ».

If it’s likely that we’ll encounter the alternative “reading” in the wild, perhaps mentioning it (even with a stern warning that it’s non-standard) might reduce confusion when we do.

1 Like