Friday May 27 2022 Content Updates

Kanji

(32) - Added “injury” to the allow list.

(23) - Added “job”, “work” and “occupation” to the allow list.

(25) - Added “catch” and “arrest” to the allow list.

(25) - Added “wring” to the allow list.

(44) - Changed the primary meaning from “vermillion” to “vermilion”, moving “vermillion” to the allow list.

(36) - Added ゆい as on’yomi.

(43) - Added し as on’yomi.

Vocabulary

普段 (31) - Added “noun” and “adverb” to word types, added “usually” as an alternative meaning, moved “ordinary”, “habitual” and “everyday” to the allow list, added “regularly”, “normally” and “ordinarily” to the allow list, updated the meaning explanation, and added two context sentences.

文字 (4) - Added “text” as an alternative meaning and moved “letters” and “characters” to the allow list.

二倍 (12) - Added “twofold” as an alternative meaning.

勝手 (12) - Updated the meaning explanation.

商人 (12) - Added “tradesperson” as an alternative meaning and added あきんど and あきゅうど readings to the warning list.

太陽 (12) - Added “solar” to the allow list.

根本 (12) - Added “fundamentals” and “basics” to the allow list.

流行 (12) - Added “prevalence” as an alternative meaning, updated the meaning explanation, replaced a context sentence, and added “spread” and “epidemic” to the allow list.

立てる (5) - Added “to make something” and “to set something up” as alternative meanings, updated meaning explanation, moved “to stand up”, “to erect” and “to erect something” to the allow list, and added “to devise”, “to devise something”, “to support”, “to support someone”, “to treat someone with respect”, “to construct”, “to construct something”, “to establish”, “to establish something”, and “to emit” to the allow list.

深い (12) - Added “profound” to the allow list.

六つ (2) - Added “two things” to the block list.

伝える (11) - Added “to communicate” and “to communicate something” to the allow list.

第一 (12) - Added “primary”, “foremost”, and “the foremost” to the allow list.

話し方 (12) - Added “manner of speech”, “how to speak”, and “how to talk” to the allow list.

仲良く (13) - Added “get along with”, “be on good terms”, and “be good friends” to the allow list.

貧乏人 (32) - Added “poor people” to the allow list.

称える (40) - Added となえる to the reading warning list and “to name”, “to call”, and “to assume the name of” to the meaning warning list.

(44) - Changed the primary meaning from “vermillion” to “vermilion”, moving “vermillion” to the allow list.

運動会 (14) - added “sports meet,” “sports meeting,” “athletic meet,” and “athletic meeting” to the allow list.

講義 (35) - added “lecturer” to the block list.

25 Likes

Please add 宿命 しゅくめい it means “destiny” “fate” and is an N1 level word.

使命 しめい Mission also N1 level word.

7 Likes

Thank you Sayaka! :durtle_noice:

6 Likes

Thank you, Sayaka! :grin:

7 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ve added them to the list for consideration :smile:

6 Likes

Thank you Sayaka!

10 Likes

Thank you, Jenny!

7 Likes

Thanks, Sayaka! That’s a new name for me to see :smiley: nice profile picture - banana for scale.

I hope Jenny is doing ok, as I think she usually does the content updates?

4 Likes

You missed last week’s…

5 Likes

Oh it seems I did, thanks! :smiley:

1 Like

番 also has Kun readings of (つが)う and (つがい), but I don’t exactly think a vocabulary needs to be added yet.

(しも) is another one.

Also, when teaching Kanji for names, how about giving examples of famous people?

2 Likes

@TofuguSayaka Please consider adding “to overflow” and “to get spilled” as valid synonyms for 零れる, preferably making one or the other primary. I don’t think either are currently accepted.

零す・零れる are a confusing transitivity pair. It’s good that the former uses “to spill something” as the primary meaning to enforce the transitive nature, but it isn’t immediately clear that “to spill” means the intransitive sense for 零れる.

Thanks as always for the continuous improvements! (改善(かいぜん) is such a great word. :grin:)

6 Likes

Hi @polv, Thanks for pointing those readings out! They’re not super common, so I agree that those vocab words may not need to be added right now, but what I’ve done is add them as kun’yomi readings on the 番 and 下 kanji pages.

Adding examples of famous people is an interesting idea! I’ve added it to our list of suggestions.

Also, thanks also for your comment on 上手(うわて), 下手(したて), and 下手(しもて) on this post! As their meanings don’t correspond to the meanings taught on WK I added all of them plus 上手(かみて) to their warning lists. :blush:

3 Likes

Hi @Rrwrex, that’s a really good point, thanks! I’ve made the following changes and updated the meaning explanation based on your feedback:

To Get Spilled → Primary Meaning
To Spill → Alternative Meaning
To Overflow → Alternative Meaning
To Be Spilled → Allow List
5 Likes

I … I feel compelled to ask about your user icon.

I love the artwork, and suspect it makes complete sense, but … these are two things that don’t normally go together.

:face_with_peeking_eye:

4 Likes

New mod? :eyes:

Welcome!

1 Like

It’s the one little doodle I’ve done for Tofugu :joy:

See the 〜てある page on the Tofugu Grammar Guide for context!

5 Likes

Love it! And the blog. I even wrote an app a script (!!) to keep up with it, but I don’t think I’ve read that one.

5 Likes

And it’s on purpose :bangbang:

Tofugu blog was always good. I liked it long before I started WaniKani.

2 Likes

I take advantage of your app a lot, so I want to say thank you again!

1 Like