Is there a way to type an ellipsis (...) in Japanese IME?

I know I’ve seen Japanese text use an ellipsis, though it’s generally little squares instead of looking like periods, but I have no idea how to actually type these. Does anyone know?

Edit: I’m using Linux Mint (like Ubuntu), and this is the kind of thing I’m talking about:

2 Likes

What IME are you using? With about 5 seconds of experimenting with the windows IME, I’ve found you can just type in 3 periods, e.g. 。。。and you should see one of the first few replacement options is the elipsis, … or ...more likely.

1 Like

I’m using Linux Mint, so it’s whatever IME that uses (Mozc). It doesn’t give me something different when I type 。。。though.

1 Like

Oh, well, Linux is a different story :sweat_smile: That works for google and windows, but I guess not Linux.
This isn’t ideal, but you could always copy and paste it from online. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes

For the first time, try typing:

[period][period][period][space][space]

That should bring up … for you.

After that (once it’s recognized as “previously used”), you should only need to use one space.

5 Likes

Aha! Typing the spaces did it! It’s still not the little square ones though, I wonder if Yuko sensei even types those or if she inserts them another way. I think they look really cool.

1 Like

Ah, I completely missed the mention of squares. (My eyes went to the image, and I thought they were just squares due to a font used.)

How about this? With the normal English input, hold Left Ctrl and Shift keys and hit the U key, then type 22ef and press Enter.

That should produce:

* Enlarged to show texture.

Not the best solution, but it’s the only one I see offhand. (Apparently it’s actually a math symbol.)

1 Like

IDK if anyone in the future searches this topic, but on a Mac, I usually just type one 。then space until it selects the … option. Sometimes it’s the next choice, sometimes it’s farther down.

Also comes up as an option if I accidentally hit / and then space, which is nice.

And for what it’s worth, when I zoom in on Jirachi’s post, I see the dots as squares (pixels)

2 Likes

Unfortunately I copy/paste those and I get ⋯ which is in the middle instead of at the bottom. I think I’ll just stick with …, it seems to be good enough (they’re a little more spaced out than an English …).

1 Like

Must be a Linux thing, on Chrome and Windows, that symbol is also on the bottom, not the middle.
Apparently we’re seeing different things. Which explains why all of our answers are different😆

2 Likes

Ah well. At least I’m still happier with my Linux IME than I was with the Windows one. I was on Windows 10 and it didn’t even have words like 足す for some reason. I had to add them to the user dictionary and even then sometimes they wouldn’t come up. I don’t have any problems with things like that on Linux Mint.

2 Likes

And I’m happy that I now finally gave Mozc a try =D

I’ll have to get used to it, but just from trying the ellipsis, I’m liking it a lot more than anthy. (And I like anthy.) I’ll definitely keep using it and see how it goes.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a linux thing? (although I don’t know exactly what it is).

206f is … “Horizontal Ellipsis”
22ef is ⋯ “Midline Horizontal Ellipsis”

And that shows as for me (on windows/chrome)

(in any case, perhaps if one doesn’t work to suit your needs, the other will!)

… does go to the bottom, and it seems to match … which I can just type from the IME now. I’m just going to guess Yuko Sensei is “cheating” with her little squares. She has them the same size as 。, but they’re filled in black squares lol.

To be clear, this is a very bad solution, but :black_small_square: :black_small_square: :black_small_square:

Or maybe :black_medium_small_square: :black_medium_small_square: :black_medium_small_square:

(I’m pasting square characters and turning on subscript)
(and it looked MUCH better in the preview…)

1 Like

Isn’t that just a font thing? Just looking at a random sample of online fonts, I can see the square version as well as triangles and whatnot.

3 Likes

Could be. Yuko Sensei is recording what is appearing on her own computer, so maybe she’s using a Japanese font that appears like that (which I don’t have and can’t replicate since I’m just typing in an IME).

If one wanted to be convoluted fancy about it and were using this in HTML, there’s the “halfwidth katakana dot” character, lowered with <sub>:

もう一度・・・

1 Like

That’s what they are doing too. I guess I’m just not understanding your point.
You can set your system font on Ubuntu if you want to do that all the time. Installing new fonts is also very easy (I installed about a billion and a half myself).

This one looks similar to theirs:
スクリーンショット 2021-05-12 13.43.14

Ah, checking your screenshot, not quite the same.

2 Likes

I guess what I mean is I wanted to display the square dots to everyone, not just for my own satisfaction lol. I thought it was something I just didn’t know how to do, and not simply a function of font display on other people’s systems.

1 Like