iPad Speed Hack

I realize this is probably only an issue for me, but it is very annoying to have to
tap into the input field for every single review item.

So I made a little bookmarklet for iPad Safari that helps to speed up the review process.

All it does is pop up the keyboard again as soon as you tapped the next button.

If you want to use it, make a new bookmark in Safari, then edit it and replace the URL part with

javascript:("#option-submit").on("click.ipadPatch",function(){(‘#user_response[disabled]’).removeAttr(‘disabled’).focus()});
('#user_response').on("focus.ipadPatch",function(){(window).scrollTop(0)});
(everything on one line!)

Now everytime on the first review item call that bookmark and you are good to go.

Remember this is kind of a hack and I am not responsible if it screws with your results (which it shouldn’t).

That’s really great. I don’t even have an iPad.

This is nice however…
I still have to scroll up at start of next item in order to see it.  So it doesn’t really speed anything up for me.  I guess it probably works better for portrait mode but I don’t like typing in that mode.  Anyway, something like this for android would be AMAZING.   :wink:

zeldaskitten said... This is nice however...
I still have to scroll up at start of next item in order to see it.  So it doesn't really speed anything up for me.  I guess it probably works better for portrait mode but I don't like typing in that mode.  Anyway, something like this for android would be AMAZING.   ;-)
Yes! That scrolling issue annoys me too, just didn't get around fixing it. Now is as good a time as any ;)

You should be able to use the bookmarklet for android too, depending on the browser I guess.

oh ok i’ll definitely try it later.  I use dolphin browser on android.  Would prefer Chrome but Chrome doesn’t convert to hiragana which is a deal breaker for me  :P

I updated the bookmarklet in the first post. Works better.

oh darn i just did my two reviews and have no more for thirty minutes when ill be at work.  will have to try it later  :D

Ok firstly, no it doesn’t work on my android phone.  :(
secondly, I like the update but I still have to scroll (down this time) to see if its reading or meaning.  :P  but that’s just the way the site looks so shikataganai, ne?
it is better at least cuz if I already answered one part of an item, (and got it right) ill know if the next time Its reading or meaning and no scrolling needed then.  I’ll definitely keep using it when reviewing on my iPad .  :D

I applaud you for this. Too bad I use chrome on my iPad and iPhone :confused:

zeldaskitten said... oh ok i'll definitely try it later.  I use dolphin browser on android.  Would prefer Chrome but Chrome doesn't convert to hiragana which is a deal breaker for me  :P
 Thats weird. I use chrome for wankikani on my iphone/ipad and it changes on there. Weird that it doesnt work on android when its googles flagship browser

Just installed Chrome for Ipad, but will have to wait for some reviews first…

Handy, thanks!

It works with Chrome for the Ipad as well. Here is a howto to get bookmarklets into Chrome.

Daikonran said...
zeldaskitten said... oh ok i'll definitely try it later.  I use dolphin browser on android.  Would prefer Chrome but Chrome doesn't convert to hiragana which is a deal breaker for me  :P
 Thats weird. I use chrome for wankikani on my iphone/ipad and it changes on there. Weird that it doesnt work on android when its googles flagship browser

If I recall correctly, chrome for iPad is using the safari engine and is only made to look and feel like chrome on other devices. This explains why iPad chrome behaves differently since its a completely different browser.

very good!
just tested it the first time on Chrome in my iPad and it’s great!

thanks, man!

using it in chrome on my iPod … AND OH MY GOD THIS IS AMAZING! THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Brilliant!! Thank you so much!!