[iOS] Tsurukame - native app with offline lessons and reviews

So, last night, Apple released a new beta version and now, as if by magic, Tsurukame works! Back to being able to use the best thing for reviews! How I’ve missed it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:ありがとうございます!

1 Like

Spoke too soon :frowning: So, managed a decent length review session on the train, with a decent WiFi connection. But as soon as I hit the Tube, where no mobile signal penetrates, after about 2 reviews it crashed. Will try to test this more thoroughly and report back

This is why I don’t do betas anymore :smiley: Even when the last iOS came officially out it had so many bugs (a few of them fixed just recently). It won’t make a real difference anyway having the latest, unless there is some new feature you really need. Unstability and brokenness is expected.

You should report the bugs to the github issue page, as it says in the first post.

But don’t report OS bugs… we can’t fix Apple.
Go report OS bugs to them! :green_apple:

I love love love Tsurukame! I’m never near a computer, so this is the only way I use WaniKani. Great work.

A few requests:

• Can you create an optional KaniWani mode that pulls from that site? Recall reviews are handy.

• Full stats?

• Can you add Heisig/KKLC numbers to the kanji pages?

• Let me override typos and add synonyms on the initial quiz?

1 Like

Wow, that’s a lot of requests in one post, some of which I don’t think will happen.

Unlike WaniKani or Bunpro, KameSame or KaniWani don’t have an API. I would love that too, but that doesn’t seem to be a priority (for example, see this for KS):

Stats sounds like this issue:

Heisig numbers could be found at:

There is a closed GitHub issue, you can read about why it’s closed there:

Add synonyms and ignore on lessons can now be found at:

Thanks! Glad some of these ideas have already been suggested. The Heisig and KKLC numbers could be used for quick and easy cross referencing. For example, the Heisig RTK app lets you practice writing. I also have the KKLC workbook for writing practice. manually looking up in a 3rd xref is far too cumbersome. If it’s easy to add, I think some people might find it useful.

Love the app, I basically don’t use the website because of it.

That said, any chance you could incorporate kanjidamage mnemonics?

Thanks for making the learning process so much more convenient!

3 Likes

That’s a great idea, but it would make Tsurukame too much of a dictionary instead of a WK companion app, so I don’t expect this to ever happen. See the issue for details:

1 Like

Cool, hope it gets implemented. Thanks again

I use that iPad to keep abreast of when new iOS releases are coming out (for work reasons) - I’m happy to live on the edge a bit, if it means I get to know some of the issues before they hit our iPad estate. And yes, I didn’t really think that it was a Tsurukame bug, necessarily.

However, it Does seem to have fixed itself - that last crash was a one off! Back on the review train!

Now, of course, I’ve downloaded the Tsurukame code from github and am attempting to get it to compile and run… :smiley:

1 Like

:joy: :rofl: Not sure anyone can! But thanks again for the great app!

1 Like

I, too, would benefit from seeing KanjiDamage mnemonics within the app (when applicable). As always, thank you for your continued dedication to the project.

I second this! Every time I’m on a plane or a train, I am either sleeping or using Tsurukame. Thank you for this fantastic app! <3

As an aside, lately I have 久しぶり and 久 “stuck” where I am “burning” those two each review along with my current radicals, kanji, and vocab. The website shows I’m done with those. I tried signing out and back in, cannot for the life of me figure out what’s going on. Not a huge deal, unless that starts happening with the rest of my “burned” items. :smile:

1 Like

This has already been solved. Just use this TestFlight link:

Or join the TestFlight beta which is updated automatically any time there’s a commit to this Git repository.

How often does it break? :stuck_out_tongue: I’m quite aversive to betas.

Hoping for an official release soon. There’s quite a bit of content updates that I get often conflicts between the site and Tsurukame regarding definitions.

It has to pass testing in order to build, so it really doesn’t break. I am also hoping for another update… there’s too many people complaining about kanji moved to higher levels…

But the TestFlight build rebuilds the DB automatically when it’s built, so that should help for now.

Only just stumbled upon this thread (and by association TK) this morning, and hoooly durdle, this is delightful! Good going, Sir!

Much <3 from ドイツ

Hi, thank you so much for a wonderful app. I really appreciate it… but it’s not syncing, just me? Thank you!

Make sure you are on the latest version. Try the TestFlight if that doesn’t help.