[iOS] Tsurukame - native app with offline lessons and reviews

Hi @anon1067447, I’m one of the people working on implementing things in Tsurukame. I looked into adding the Heisig numbers and cross reference data in general. My current feeling is that this is more of a dictionary feature and it does not make sense in Tsurukame. Read on if you want the reasoning …

In order to make Tsurukame a great app we have to be careful not to lose our focus. I fear that adding too many dictionary features like this (and stroke diagrams as requested elsewhere) distracts from the core value of the app. With only a few volunteers submitting code to a part-time maintainer small things like this will really add up (design, code, maintenance, complexity). I hope that all make sense and you understand. I don’t want to just ignore requests – it’s better to be honest about roadmaps.

I’ll leave the Github issues open in case there is a volunteer who feels differently. It’s also possible we’ll iron out most of our core issues and circle back to dictionary-style features later on. In the meantime I recommend Shirabe Jisho as a great iOS dictionary that provides things like stroke diagrams and cross reference info.

2 Likes

This app is amazingly awesome! Thank you!! You really hit the sweet spot of wanikani and all the best wanikani scripts too.

The UI is optimized really well for iPhone, but the iPad could make better use of all that screen real estate. I can’t write the code, but I was a UI designer for 15 years. I could send some ideas for an improved iPad layout if you want.

Thanks for making this app. You might be saving my marriage :slight_smile: (yeah, another 外人 married to 日本人)

3 Likes

Yep, if you look back at its history, it started out as iPhone-only, and we basically just added the compatibility to the point where it was functional on larger screen sizes.

It might be interesting to see your UI ideas, especially since we technically support macOS 10.15+ as well now.

Edit: Thanks for sharing. You can view at:

2 Likes

Hello! I’m sure this has been requested already, but if so I would like to second a vote to be able to add our own synonyms, mnemonics, and other tips and tricks through the app. I know we can now view them but it would be great to be able to add them. Not sure if it’s possible.,

Synonyms can be added. If you get an answer wrong, you can add what you did type as a synonym.

As for notes, using the latest TestFlight build, you can view your reading notes already added.

The request to add notes in-app is here:

1 Like

Sorry, are you saying the ability to add synonyms already exists? If so, how do I do it?

1 Like

OMG I never thought to try clicking the +…

2 Likes

Nah… it doesn’t do anything. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Now I am beginning to think that @davidsansome had a point with this:

I love the new (?) option to automatically switch keyboards between readings/meanings. However currently the Japanese one seems to have auto suggestions which means I can see in advance if what I’ve typed is correct or not. Is there any way to hide them?

Not at the moment! I would certainly love to see that, though. :wink:

Thanks for the response (sorry I’ve been away). I understand it’s not intended to be a dictionary, and I already have other dictionary apps. I only wanted the xref to be able to practice writing in the RTK app without having to open the dictionary app to find the kanji and Heisig number. Not a big deal, though.

If you are all volunteering your time, there should be a donate function :). We pay a lot for WaniKani, but I’m not sure I would have bothered with it if not for Tsurukame, so you should get a cut. I tried the native thing, but didn’t see a way to override typos. I’m TERRIBLE at phone typing, so this was the deciding factor.

1 Like

OP has refused donation requests in the past. Definitely agree!

1 Like

I installed the update from the App Store today, and the app now crashes every time I click on reviews or lessons…

1 Like

This is the issue I’m having. Please fix, as I much prefer using Tsurukame!

Sorry about that crash! It should be fixed in 1.19 which is available in the App Store as of about an hour ago! Please give it a try!

5 Likes

Thank you so much! It’s working now! :grin:

Welcome back to the community! :wink:

I’m having a new issue since I updated yesterday, though I don’t know if it is caused by WK or Tsurukame. If I pull down on the main page to refresh, I keep getting a review for an old radical from many levels ago. The same one over and over. It doesn’t come up if I don’t refresh. Anyone else have something similar?

edit: I see someone started a thread about this. It is the “hills” radical, which has apparently moved levels.

edit edit: I tried running the beta on both my iphone and ipad, and it is still coming up.

1 Like

It was fixed when the beta 1.20.693 came out on 2020-03-30T00:37:00Z. Try it now!