[iOS] Tsurukame - native app with offline lessons and reviews

Cool, hope it gets implemented. Thanks again

I use that iPad to keep abreast of when new iOS releases are coming out (for work reasons) - I’m happy to live on the edge a bit, if it means I get to know some of the issues before they hit our iPad estate. And yes, I didn’t really think that it was a Tsurukame bug, necessarily.

However, it Does seem to have fixed itself - that last crash was a one off! Back on the review train!

Now, of course, I’ve downloaded the Tsurukame code from github and am attempting to get it to compile and run… :smiley:

1 Like

:joy: :rofl: Not sure anyone can! But thanks again for the great app!

1 Like

I, too, would benefit from seeing KanjiDamage mnemonics within the app (when applicable). As always, thank you for your continued dedication to the project.

I second this! Every time I’m on a plane or a train, I am either sleeping or using Tsurukame. Thank you for this fantastic app! <3

As an aside, lately I have 久しぶり and 久 “stuck” where I am “burning” those two each review along with my current radicals, kanji, and vocab. The website shows I’m done with those. I tried signing out and back in, cannot for the life of me figure out what’s going on. Not a huge deal, unless that starts happening with the rest of my “burned” items. :smile:

1 Like

This has already been solved. Just use this TestFlight link:

Or join the TestFlight beta which is updated automatically any time there’s a commit to this Git repository.

How often does it break? :stuck_out_tongue: I’m quite aversive to betas.

Hoping for an official release soon. There’s quite a bit of content updates that I get often conflicts between the site and Tsurukame regarding definitions.

It has to pass testing in order to build, so it really doesn’t break. I am also hoping for another update… there’s too many people complaining about kanji moved to higher levels…

But the TestFlight build rebuilds the DB automatically when it’s built, so that should help for now.

Only just stumbled upon this thread (and by association TK) this morning, and hoooly durdle, this is delightful! Good going, Sir!

Much <3 from ドイツ

Hi, thank you so much for a wonderful app. I really appreciate it… but it’s not syncing, just me? Thank you!

Make sure you are on the latest version. Try the TestFlight if that doesn’t help.

Hi @anon1067447, I’m one of the people working on implementing things in Tsurukame. I looked into adding the Heisig numbers and cross reference data in general. My current feeling is that this is more of a dictionary feature and it does not make sense in Tsurukame. Read on if you want the reasoning …

In order to make Tsurukame a great app we have to be careful not to lose our focus. I fear that adding too many dictionary features like this (and stroke diagrams as requested elsewhere) distracts from the core value of the app. With only a few volunteers submitting code to a part-time maintainer small things like this will really add up (design, code, maintenance, complexity). I hope that all make sense and you understand. I don’t want to just ignore requests – it’s better to be honest about roadmaps.

I’ll leave the Github issues open in case there is a volunteer who feels differently. It’s also possible we’ll iron out most of our core issues and circle back to dictionary-style features later on. In the meantime I recommend Shirabe Jisho as a great iOS dictionary that provides things like stroke diagrams and cross reference info.

2 Likes

This app is amazingly awesome! Thank you!! You really hit the sweet spot of wanikani and all the best wanikani scripts too.

The UI is optimized really well for iPhone, but the iPad could make better use of all that screen real estate. I can’t write the code, but I was a UI designer for 15 years. I could send some ideas for an improved iPad layout if you want.

Thanks for making this app. You might be saving my marriage :slight_smile: (yeah, another 外人 married to 日本人)

3 Likes

Yep, if you look back at its history, it started out as iPhone-only, and we basically just added the compatibility to the point where it was functional on larger screen sizes.

It might be interesting to see your UI ideas, especially since we technically support macOS 10.15+ as well now.

Edit: Thanks for sharing. You can view at:

2 Likes

Hello! I’m sure this has been requested already, but if so I would like to second a vote to be able to add our own synonyms, mnemonics, and other tips and tricks through the app. I know we can now view them but it would be great to be able to add them. Not sure if it’s possible.,

Synonyms can be added. If you get an answer wrong, you can add what you did type as a synonym.

As for notes, using the latest TestFlight build, you can view your reading notes already added.

The request to add notes in-app is here:

1 Like

Sorry, are you saying the ability to add synonyms already exists? If so, how do I do it?

1 Like

OMG I never thought to try clicking the +…

2 Likes

Nah… it doesn’t do anything. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Now I am beginning to think that @davidsansome had a point with this: