[iOS] Count Biki - drill numbers, money, dates, and more

I’ve created a standalone iOS app for drilling Japanese numbers of many shapes: numbers, money, dates, and time durations (so far). It works best as a supplement for the topics you’ve already encountered in N5-level textbooks.

How it works:

1. Listen to a randomly generated number in Japanese.
  2. Type the answer in numerals.

Give it download and leave me some feedback in the thread :pray:

All features are currently free, but if you want to leave me a tip you can unlock alternate app icons.

Screenshots

More Background

My original motivation for making the app was the situation of being at the cash register (in Japan) and panicking because I couldn’t process the numbers I was hearing fast enough. I realized this extended to topics like dates (e.g. 10日) which I’d use infrequently enough that I’d completely forget them.

At the moment the drills are listening-only, but in the future I’d like to add writing drills for counters like 一匹、五階、etc.

This is just the first release so there isn’t any SRS, session history, or modes besides “infinite practice” mode. If you have opinions on which of these features you’d like, feel free to weigh in in this thread or email me through the app.

4 Likes

I’ll be giving this a try! No matter how long I’ve been doing Japanese, numbers are a bit beyond me. It’s so ingrained in me to count things in Swedish, that the step to count in English took most of my life growing up with a ton of exposure, before it was even remotely natural.

Japanese has none of that. I just need to do some serious cramming to make counting more effortless in Japanese. >:>

1 Like

Thanks for making this! I really need to do some numbers practice, especially in the 万 and 億 department, so I tried the “Extreme” mode.
Unfortunately, the big numbers are not read aloud correctly in Japanese.

For example, I got this number

And it read: ごひゃくきゅうじゅうろく てん ななきゅうに てん さんきゅういち

Which makes no sense as a number. It seems to be getting confused by the dots. It should say
ごおく きゅうせんろっぴゃくななじゅうきゅうまん にせんさんびゃくきゅうじゅういち
(5億9679万2391)

I don’t know exactly what causes this, but I hope it should be an easy fix. :slight_smile:

And if I may propose another mode, I’d love to have an option for the “Extreme” mode to have a cutoff option / rounding option. I don’t want to practice exact numbers; I would rather practice numbers like 2.05 million, 3.7 billion, 20億6020万, 2900万. I don’t need all the digits down to the last one, just the first few, that would be ideal.

2 Likes

Hi! Thanks for trying it out!

This is a localization oversight on my part :weary: Seems like I didn’t test on localizations that use periods as digit separators. In short, it should be an easy fix that I should be able to get out this week :pray:

I left in “Extreme mode” for stress testing, so yes, I think adding a few more reasonable variants of 億-level numbers is great idea. Please keep an eye out for them. In the meantime, the Money category’s annual salary topic might be a good stop gap (once I fix the above bug of course).

Thanks for the bug report and feedback!

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply, I didn’t even realize this might be a localization problem. And thanks for pointing me to the salary category, that should be exactly what I’m looking for :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The fixed version is up on the App Store now. Thanks again for the bug report.

More specific topics for large numbers will be out soon.

2 Likes

You absolute MVP - this is amazing! Would you consider adding counters to this at any point?

I’ve been thinking about it for a while but I can’t decide what about counters I wanted to practice. In other words: what is the question and how do you enter or select the answer?

• Listening practice doesn’t really make sense like it does for larger numbers.
  • …but the app does have some day counters covered already under listening practice.
  • Mapping kanji to English might be useful.
  • Mapping kanji to emoji might be useful.
  • Mapping either English or emoji to kanji (multiple choice?) might be useful.
  • Mapping number + kanji to hiragana might be useful for practicing exceptions, or for learning unique counters like ひとつ.
  • Should it include large numbers or only 1-10?
  • Is there a case where multiple choice answers are more convenient?

If anyone has opinions on what you’d like to practice and how you’d like to practice it, feel free to share!