Interesting Discussion about Japanese Learning

Any others? I can’t think of any other non-test related benefits aside from that.

It does simplify the process of describing kanji verbally, even though you can do it without them, because the “real” radicals contain information about their shape and location within the kanji inside their names.

Curious: the most common way to do this is by pretending to write them in your hand, right?

3 Likes

Out of curiosity how much would you say Japanese know of the real names of radicals. I could have sworn I heard it was taught in schools, but wouldn’t they forget those after some years?

Edit: I like how the first word that popped in @jprspereira’s and my head was curious.

Edit 2:

I could have sworn seeing that too! It was when there was some sort of really hard kanji and they tried to say, like this kanji but with this shape as well.

3 Likes

Great minds think alike :kissing_heart:

That’s how my JP friends did. Not sure if I’m biased.

1 Like

They know most of them. Every kanji they learn is taught with that info, so there are few that they wouldn’t recognize by name.

That doesn’t mean they have the correct radical knowledge memorized for every kanji, because sometimes it’s not obvious which element is the radical.

2 Likes

@jprspereira be like

curious

2 Likes

I’m not sure if you can say the most common way to describe them verbally is to use your hands… But sure, you can do that.

3 Likes

She’s one of my biases, I confess.

1 Like

Ah, I see you’re a man of culture as well

anime%20thumbs%20up

2 Likes

There is in fact no real “point” except for organization. Mnemonic devices definitely exist in Japan (I posted an example in another thread).

But the origin of modern radicals is the Kangxi dictionary from China which basically just decided to use them for “reasons.” Most radicals in this system are the semantic component of a Kanji, but that isn’t the reason necessarily, and older systems of radicals didn’t necessarily do that.

Has anyone got through this video? Anyone have a summary? I couldn’t get past a minute of this

3 Likes

Me, too. Not sure it’s worth the time. I’m going to go for a run, instead.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not worth the time, mainly if you want to know about what they think of WK. I listened to like 50 mins or so. They keep changing the topic, so it gets harder to see a final agreement.

They come to some sense of a consensus and then start circle jerking. :laughing:

2 Likes

They gotta invite Hinekidori殿 for the next ep.

They would rip me to shreds. I have no legs to stand on.

GEEZ its 2 hours long… y tho

1 Like

I couldn’t help myself and had to listen to it all and this is a fair assessment.

You listened to the whole thing? :anguished:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I dont know if Id be able to

2 Likes