Interesting Discussion about Japanese Learning

2 Likes

@hinekidori Have you listened to the whole video? :eyes:

Still working through it. They start dogging on WK @ 1:16. :laughing:

3 Likes

At this point Iā€™m sure that Aniki is a spy by the national kanji agency and tries to destroy this website from the inside x)

But yeah its quite interesting to watch these.

1 Like

Haha, Nah I just have these videos pop on my Youtube Home page that turn out to be interesting lol.

1 Like

Donā€™t worry, keep sharing these :slight_smile:

George seems to be totally lost in terms of knowing what WK is about. I understand Mattā€™s perspective, but heā€™s guessing too much. Thatā€™s his bias.

3 Likes

At this point I no longer know what WK is about myselfā€¦ All I know is that it kind of works and I can understand some Kanji if I see it. All while having some fun and a nice community, so yey for WK

2 Likes

They might even say that WK forces you their mnemonicsā€¦ like hello?? Thereā€™s a section for notes??

EDIT: At least they enjoy fake radicalsā€¦

2 Likes

Is there even a point of ā€œrealā€ japanese radicals? In the end they are just building blocks made to recognize/memorize and write down kanji easier, even for Japanese people right? Radicals and how you perceive them themselves donā€™t have an actual meaning I think :thinking:

1 Like

Paper dictionaries. Thatā€™s about it.

2 Likes

I believe JP people learn kanji by strokes. Not sure.

Theyā€™re used for categorization for Japanese people, not building blocks. Each kanji only has one radical.

So that makes radicals basicly useless/unnesesary for japanese people huh? TIL. Also ty to everyone for the explanations :3

The truth is they are both biased to their methods and should be willing to talk to WK before shitting on it.

4 Likes

Noā€¦ How did you get that from what was said?

2 Likes

I was just wondering that same thing lol. Maybe he meant ā€œnon-japaneseā€?

What I got was that radicals only exist to look things up easier (something along those lines). Together with chezmaxā€™s comment I thought that you donā€™t really need them in every day life for a japanese personā€¦

Tbh I have no Idea what Iā€™m talking about, thats just what I got from ur comment. Iā€™ll look it up myself afterwards, donā€™t want to derail this thread.

Iā€™m sure it will gain quite a lot of traction (like the last one) and actual discussion about the video with arise soon x) Thanks for trying to explain it tho.

EDIT: I have no Idea why but Iā€™m actually terrified of Leebo lmao

The radicals categorize the kanji no matter if youā€™re using a paper dictionary or any other kind of dictionary. They give you a starting point to understand the meaning of the kanji, even ones that are less obvious.

Regardless of if you use a paper dictionary or not, itā€™s useful to know that risshinben (fish stick radical) is based on åæƒ and thus kanji with it tend to be related to feelings/emotions. Thatā€™s just one aspect.

3 Likes

2 Likes